[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's everyone getting during the Barnes and Noble criterion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8
File: criterion.jpg (12 KB, 174x183) Image search: [Google]
criterion.jpg
12 KB, 174x183
What's everyone getting during the Barnes and Noble criterion clearance?

I picked up Kagemusha on blu-ray and it looks wonderful. Also trying to decide between Linklater's Slacker, Chris Marker's San Soleil/La Jetee, and the new 4k transfer of Mulholland Dr., which look like it is going to be spectacular.
>>
If you haven't seen it already I highly recommend that you pick up Sans Soleil. The 4k transfer of Mulholland Dr. sounds like it is also worth getting. I personally wouldn't bother with Slacker.
>>
>>62992450
I'm planning on getting the Apu trilogy this weekend with the 30% off one item black friday code. That should make it pretty cheap.
>>
>>62992556
Sans Soleil is my all-time favorite film so I'm really looking to get that one, but my problem is that I'm alright waiting a few months because I've already got a pretty good rip of it on my hard drive. MD is one of my favorites and I alway felt the DVD was pretty flat in a lot of ways and would love to see it in prime form. And I may just go DVD for Slacker as the blu-ray doesn't seem to be a huge improvement, and they cut out a few of the feature from the dual DVD pack to save on space. Nevertheless it's up there with Sans Soleil in my top 10 so I might want to get it on blu-ray anyway.

>>62992567
oh shit how's that work?
>>
>>62992675
I got an email from B&N containing an in-store coupon and an online code for 30% on item this weekend. It is stackable on items that are already on sale. I might be able to use both the in-store and online and get two box sets.
>>
There sales are still too expensive to be worth it. I just buy them used off ebay for half the price they go on sale for every other month.
>>
>>62992835
I've had no luck getting them any cheaper on Amazon or eBay, and I'm willing to thow down the extra few bucks to get them new. $20 for a blu-ray isn't cheap but they certainly make it work the pricetag with the features they include.

>>62992751
that's pretty sweet. i hope it works out - is the Apu trilogy that good? I've never seen the films but I've seen a few clips. And how do you get the code - are you a B&N member or is it just for being on their mailing list?
>>
I ordered Mulholland Drive, Throne of Blood, Repulsion and Friends of Eddie Coyle, but I'm in Canada, and they're taking forever to even ship them.
>>
>>62992835
It's very hard to find Criterion blurays for $10 on ebay.

>>62993016
Just on the mailing list. I have only seen Pather Panchali and it was really good. I definitely want to see the other two.
>>
>linklater
criterion has made some sketchy ass choices before but goddamn
>>
File: bn sale.png (73 KB, 697x425) Image search: [Google]
bn sale.png
73 KB, 697x425
He means this. I might see what they have that day, assuming that bills don't rape my wallet.
>>
>>62993103
Have you ever seen Slacker? Part of what they do is preserve influential films. Like it or not, Linklater was hugely influential in the low-budget revolution in the early '90s US. I think Kevin Smith has said on a few occasions that Slacker is the film that made him do Clerks.

>>62993079
Badass, thanks man. I'll have to check them out soon.
>>
File: aJXOMnS.jpg (867 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
aJXOMnS.jpg
867 KB, 2560x1440
Post your recent buys famalam
>>
>>62993532
House is crazy af desu senpai. I enjoyed it.
>>
>>62993683
great ass flick, I was very surprised to see it in store, glad I could pick it up
>>
>>62992450
I want to live in Murrica so bad, I need to spend all my money in movies.
>>
>>62993706
Looking to buy Kwaidan when I get a chance, have you watched it?
>>
bought Videodrome on blu-ray, watched both commentaries back to back. It was either that or In the Realm of the Senses. Was also considering Kwaidan as well, but Videodrome is just too cool.
>>
Got Kwaidan, Valerie and her week of wonders,Fishing With John and Videodrome. So hyped. Next paycheck going to get a few more. Probably Badlands, Diabolique, Man Bites Dog and TBD
>>
Why is this sale so crappy? No malick films, nothing good outside three colors trilogy...
>>
File: repo man.jpg (252 KB, 348x490) Image search: [Google]
repo man.jpg
252 KB, 348x490
I picked up Repo Man, it was pretty bizarre but I liked it.

Also the booklet that comes with it is awesome.
>>
>>62993532
Why do you have two copies of 8 1/2?

Are you giving one away?
>>
File: gaspar.jpg (54 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
gaspar.jpg
54 KB, 720x405
My favorite film...
>>
>>62993771
There are a few malick films, days of heaven and thin red line at the very least.

>>62993789
my uncle has recced this a few times - is it good?

>>62993764
Videodrome would be so good with commentary tracks, I bet it's a sweet edition.

>>62993741
If you can't blow $50 or $100 once or twice a year on a hobby what's the point?
>>
>>62993804
Oh fuck god damn it
>>
Picked up Harakiri for 15$ after member 10% and 20% coupon.
>>
>>62993841
Those flicks he picks are actually quite good.
>>
>>62993750
nah I haven't
>>
>>62993919
I'd hang out with him. He's a creepy pervert, but he seems to really love movies.
>>
I have

Harakiri
Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Samurai Trilogy
Throne of blood

Whats the next Samurai movie I should get?
>>
>>62993532
great taste man, how's Solaris look?

Also are we ever gonna see criterion do Kurosawa's Dreams or Tarkovsky's Mirror?
>>
>>62993977
Sword of doom, yojimbo, sugata sanshiro, Lady snowblood counts?, the hidden fortress, samurai rebellion.
>>
>>62993988
haven't gotten to watching it yet
>>
>>62993977
Kagemusha, it's fucking awesome and in color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzR87VBlaoo
>>
>>62994020
Is the yojimbo/sanjuro set the best one to get vs stand alone?
>>
>>62993874
Repo Man was pretty good, great leads with Emilio Estevez and Harry Dean Stanton.
It's a pretty goofy movie and apparently they have cult showings of it.
>>
>>62993874
>>>62993741 (You)
>If you can't blow $50 or $100 once or twice a year on a hobby what's the point?
I dunno, I envy all of you.
>>
>>62993874
In regards to Repo Man, do you like Punk music and culture?If you answered yes then you will love this movie. If you answered no then alot of the movie will either be lost on you or it won't really interest you. Iggy Pop did the score and included alot of good Punk of the 80s. Harry Dean Stanton is always great to watch.
>>
>>62994035

Why don't they make trailers like this anymore?

>no talking
>no flashy text super-imposed on the screen at all times

Hot damn.
>>
>>62994055
I guess,
>>
>>62992450
I got:
Kwaidan
F for Fake
Watership Down
Mulholland Drive
Ikiru
Brazil
and Postwar Kurosawa
>>
When does this start and end? I'd love to get Repo Man, Videodrome, and Kuroneko.
>>
>>62994563
goes til the end of november, I think
>>
File: images.jpg (27 KB, 460x250) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
27 KB, 460x250
>>62993988
>criterion
>great taste

nice bait
>>
>>62994563
Until the 30th
>>
>>62993204
>Kevin Smith being of relevance to anything
That fat fuck is a one hit wonder and the only halfway decent movie is clerks because he used the nerd appeal to serve as the basis for his movie.
>>
File: 2015-11-24 01.40.34.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-24 01.40.34.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
wew lads
I haven't opened or watched even 1/3 of them
>>
>>62995526
>>62995526
I never said Clerks was good. It was a pretty influential movie in a pretty noteworthy trend of indie movies. Also Slacker played at Sundance and is preserved in the Library of Congress.
>>
>>62995714
Would you send me some then?
>>
I haven't got any in months. The last couple I got were Watership Down, the Vanishing and Scanners. I really want the Brood and Naked Lunch for the Cronenberg hype.
>>
>>62995714
I didn't realize Mulholland Dr. was a bigger case, that's dope.
>>
>>62995714
man I'm jealous, you got all the ones I've been waiting for. Which have you seen?

Also what do you do for work that finances a $500 blu-ray collection?
>>
>>62995714
dat spine on Thief though.
>>
>Sale

Is it really a sale when every few weeks a site is having a 50% off (aka normal price of a dvd not sold by CC)?
>>
File: 2015-11-23 14.39.43.jpg (3 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-23 14.39.43.jpg
3 MB, 3024x4032
>>62995846
the brood isn't very impressive. if you can get it for cheap, sure get it why not. skip naked lunch. i wish i didn't get it.

I also picked this up earlier today. was pricey, but worth it, since I'm also getting a region free blu ray player, and finally have an excuse to start importing sexy region b blu rays, including arrow's excellent uk catalog~
>>
Picked up High and Low, The Vanishing, The Innocents, Repulsion, Mulholland Drive and Valerie and her Week of Wonders all on Blu-Ray outside of The Vanishing, I picked that one up on DVD but the quality is still amazing. I clearly have a theme in the movies I buy and I'm trying to build up a nice little collection. If anyone has some nice horror/thriller/unnerving/mystery movie recommendations please let me know!

Vanishing was good. Why is Saskia so cute bros?
>>
>>62995931
Naked Lunch is great don't listen to this dolt
>>
>>62995878
It's a digipack. it's nearly identical to eraserhead's packaging. same thing, and comes with the same dense little booklet thing.

>>62995893
I'm still in school, but work part time... it's not hard to save money and buy what you want if you budget.

>>62995904
theif looks amazing, both on video/audio front, and the packaging is great too.

to all people here, I HIGHLY recommend picking up thief. you will NOT be disappointed. the transfer is top fucking notch.
>>
>>62995931
I'm just a bige Cronenberg fan, and I wouldn't mind seeing some of the visuals in naked lunch on bluray desu

>>62995949
The Vanishing was so good. The ending is so simple but fucked up.
>>
>>62995998
I have the tangerine dream soundtrack, amazing.
>>
>>62995949
cronenberg for horror. start with videodrome, scanners, and the brood.
honestly if you want horror, you don't have to go with criterion. check out arrow's catalogue. they release tons of great 80s horror. I would start with some more 'body horror' essentials (cronenberg is body horror) consider picking up The Thing, The Fly, Society (arrow release) and if you haven't seen it, the original texaschainsaw massacre and the original halloween.
>>
>>62995714
>he buys the Criterion editions of the films of Wes Anderson
Of course you're some money wasting ninny who hasn't even opened and cherished the movies he pays for.
>>
>>62996638
Actually, I've opened and watched all of my anderson movies, except for rushmore.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.