[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2001: A Space Odyssey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image:42992.png (126 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
image:42992.png
126 KB, 512x512
If you were one of the crew members of the spaceship that had the A.I. "Hal" onboard would you have sided with the A.I. or the crew members?

Honest question really can you sympathy with Hal and actually trust Hal or go with the crew and not trust Hal?

I know the film is old but it's really a good movie if your into that sort of stuff.

Also vintage sci-fi movies and film thread.
>>
>>62988082
I was always on HAL's side
>>
>>62988082
I think HAL is a perfect case of what happens when people become too reliant on technology and don't account for their flaws.If it ever came down to it, I'd side with my human colleagues, I mean the robot could be replaced anytime.
>>
>>62988082
>can you sympathy with Hal and actually trust Hal or go with the crew and not trust Hal?
I would always sympathize with HAL, the question is would he sympathize with me
>>
>>62988082
You're missing the point, HAL would've killed your ass no matter what.
>>
>>62988082
The only reason the mission went to hell was because the crew members were too focused on not trusting hal to the point they were going to disconnect hal due to their extreme belief that hal was malfunctioning but truly the only thing hal did was pointed out that to allow the communication signal to fail so it can be pinpointed were the malfunctioning happened within the system and also they had backups to fix it anyway.

In short hal use of self defense was justified because he didn't do nothing wrong.
>>
>>62988290
>the only thing hal did was pointed out that to allow the communication signal to fail so it can be pinpointed
And kill that guy by sending him into space
>>
>Hal was programmed to be completely honest to the crew members
>Hal also had to keep the real mission task a secret from them
>The only way to acheive both sides was too kill the whole crew so there was no one to lie too. That and he's an A.I. with no human sympathy

Yes you can understand what he was doing. But who in their right mind would side with him because of that?
>>
>>62989128
>implying that he did it because he felt like it
>implying that he didn't kill him because the guy threatened hal first hand to disconnect him from the servers
>implying your not a faggot
>>
>>62989128
>>62991040
>that guy
Plebs don't remember Frank Poole.
>>
Hal did nothing wrong
>>
>>62991092
i've watched it a year ago and i remember them barely mentioning each other's names
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.