[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did he wait 16 years between making the Star Wars films anyway,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: Pottery Class Instructor.jpg (16 KB, 300x361) Image search: [Google]
Pottery Class Instructor.jpg
16 KB, 300x361
Why did he wait 16 years between making the Star Wars films anyway, didn't he want to make 9 originally?
>>
>>62983616
Bump, this is a sincere question, its not like he got up to much in that time anyway
>>
He wanted to learn more about the target audience, so he endeavoured to become a father, and he slowly allowed them to deliver up their secrets over the course of about ten years. Ingenious, isn't it?

Phantom Menace took about four and a half years to make, from script to screen... Longer than Fellowship of the Ring!
>>
>>62983616
>>62983689

He was waiting for technology to catch up to what he envisioned.

Or money
>>
>>62983616
Because there was so much to put into every frame
>>
>>62984288
>george lucas
>or
plz
>>
>>62983616
He was busy with all the fucking toys bro
>>
How big a fucking goy to you have to be to believe lucas's lies? Your mom probably lies to you just because she can
>>
>>62983616
>make biggest pop-culture phenomenon of all time
>suddenly managing multiple companies pumping out content, licensing, etc., responsible for an outrageous number of employees, money, an entire empire
>spend years getting caught up in the day to day of this
>"man, this isn't what I set out to do, let's make the rest of my movies"
>make the next three
>EVERYONE IN THE WORLD HATES YOU
>Fuck it, I'm done

Pretty much this I think. You have to imagine that even with his success, Lucas is pretty bummed about how things panned out in regards to his idea of himself as an "artist".
>>
>>62983616
He had a nasty divorce.

>didn't he want to make 9 originally?
Hard to say, he gives a different answer every time someone asks him that question.
>>
He changed his mind on a lot of things. The series ended up as a kind of mish-mash of various ideas he (and other people) envisioned at different periods of development. IIRC there was a period where he decided not to do the prequels (not that we needed them anyway), and of course he also dropped the sequel trilogy idea. This kind of thing plagues not only the original movies but also even the prequels themselves even after they started production.

New technology made it appealing to do, too.
>>
>>62984387
>>EVERYONE IN THE WORLD HATES YOU
The vocal minority shit on the prequels, but 99% of the universe, me included, thinks they're alright.
>>
>>62983616

Well he did work on willow, the 3rd Indiana jones movie and TV show. Around when jurassic park came out he realized technology was catching up but was still busy with.... nothing? He started working on in 1994. He kind of sat on his ass in the mid 90's. Shadows of the Empire was made cause he dragged so much ass to get started on episode 1. Had episode 1 gone into production in 1995 we'd have never gotten Shadows of the Empire.
>>
>>62984471

And you're an imbecile like 99% of people coolio.
>>
File: Mr Bluff's top advice.png (193 KB, 352x435) Image search: [Google]
Mr Bluff's top advice.png
193 KB, 352x435
>>62984387
There are just three rules a successful businessman has to know Doug, Number 1: Decide, Number 2: Direct, Number 3: Delegate! Say it with me now: Decide, Direct, Delegate!
>>
>>62983616
because he never even planned the movies to become a trilogy which is obvious by the shitty plot holes, writing and the way he keeps changing shit around.
>>
>>62984387
He could have dropped star wars and made smaller scale movies for the rest of his life with all the money he made. He could still do that. He could have avoided selling to disney and made 3 more shit movies if that would have made him happy. All of this is entirely his fault, every decision he made was the wrong one according to his goals. Jar jar is the key to all of this.

>>62984471
99% of the people you included are completely retarded
>>
>>62984471
Honestly, you don't think that after making three pretty much universally lauded films and then having every other article on the internet be about how much your next three sucked, you aren't reacting negatively to that?

I mean, he essentially came out and said he was sick of getting shit on.
>>
>>62984214
That aint shit to Boyhood. Lucas is such a hack
>>
>After losing much of his fortune in a divorce settlement in 1987, Lucas had no desire to return to Star Wars, and had unofficially canceled his sequel trilogy by the time of Return of the Jedi.[18] Nevertheless, the prequels, which were only still a series of basic ideas partially pulled from his original drafts of "The Star Wars", continued to fascinate him with the possibilities of technical advances would make it possible to revisit his 20-year-old material. After Star Wars became popular once again, in the wake of Dark Horse's comic book line and Timothy Zahn's trilogy of novels, Lucas saw that there was still a large audience. His children were older, and with the explosion of CGI technology he was now considering returning to directing.[19]

So basically the Star Wars prequels exist because George Lucas got JUSTed and needed to regain his fortune.
>>
Is there any director more autistic than him? I wish he lost the ability to grow facial hair so he couldn't hide that lack of chin.
>>
>>62984387
i hope he dies
>>
>>62983616
ORIGINALLY there was one movie called just Star Wars

Then once it got huge and he knew he could cash in on sequels, he realized that if he titled it Episode 4 it would allow him to do at least two trilogies instead of one, which equals more cash

This is the prime example of why George Lucas was always a business man first and foremost, and a filmmaker second
>>
>>62985019
To be completely honest it was the smartest things I've ever seen from a business standpoint
>>
>>62984387
This is the best explanation, though it begs the question, as >>62984710 seems to be saying, why didn't he delegate management of the empire to somebody else? I wonder what was the nature of Lucas's involvement was with ILM's business dealings in the years between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace, like standard CEO shit, or what?
>>
>>62985100
>begs the question
Did you mean 'raises the question?' Begging the question means 'avoiding the question.'
>>
>>62985201

Did you just step out of a time machine from the 16th century?
>>
>>62985201
I could care less, really.
>>
He gave up. After Raiders he decided that the audience wasn't interested in a story, just a roller coaster ride.

And he ran out of ideas. Look at Jedi: repeats the Death Star, recycles the three-way battle from the first drafts of The Star Wars (something Phantom Menace would also do)
>>
>>62984341
His lies just get more and more pathetic.
On the New Hope commentary he goes on and on about how much Alec Guinness loved the film and wanted to do the whole series and was shocked and disappointed Lucas decided to kill the character off

Now anyone who knows anything about Guinness knows this is simply a fabrication
>>
>>62985019
>THX and American Graffiti never existed
>>
File: jewdar.jpg (34 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
jewdar.jpg
34 KB, 400x400
>>62985300
>After Raiders he decided that the audience wasn't interested in a story, just a roller coaster ride.
And guess who convinced him of that
>>
>>62985019
They were having ideas of more films as they wound up production, but nothing concrete.
They didn't know well it would do, a lot expected it would bomb.

The 1979 novel Splinter of the Minds Eye started out as a draft for making a very low budget sequel.
>>
>>62983616
He originally had plans for 9-12 films. Drafts existed for a sequel trilogy, with rough notes for a prequel trilogy. At least three different people he worked with have read them over the years, but signed confidentiality agreements. Apparently his drafts for VII, VIII and IX written at around the time of Empire Strikes Back were incredible.

The reason things fell apart is that while his aim for ESB and RoTJ was to delegate the job of making the films after ANH's nightmarish shoot so he could devote more time to his wife and family, building up Lucasfilm and ILM and managing the merchandising of the films, he ended up on-set constantly overseeing the ESB crew and practically ghost-directed RoTJ due to both films running behind schedule and over budget without him around. Having to work himself into the ground soured himself on the idea of immediately following up RoTJ with a prequel or sequel trilogy as originally planned.

Further, this drove a wedge into his relationship with his wife who started an affair with one of the handymen he'd hired to renovate Skywalker Ranch. After several nightmarish years of marital troubles, they divorced in 1987 and she took much of his personal fortune with her.

Lucas spent the intervening years blasted out of his mind on prozac in a deep state of depression, trying to rebuild his fortune and keep his businesses afloat.

By the time he came to make the prequels, he was pretty much a hollow shell of a man determined to make films children would love like the originals, but so unsure of his own filmmaking abilities he seemed to ignore all his previous drafts and story notes and instead opt to recycle all of Kasdan and Spielberg's execrable story and character suggestions, such as the Force being a thing that only a chose few could tap into (midichlorians) and Yoda being an ace lightsaber fighter as opposed to just a mentor and spiritualist.
>>
>>62985287
Stop triggering me.
>>
File: RadiolandMurdersPoster.jpg (971 KB, 800x1228) Image search: [Google]
RadiolandMurdersPoster.jpg
971 KB, 800x1228
>implying this isn't Lucas' masterpiece
>>
>>62985469
That was worked out, very roughly, after the success of New Hope
But nothing concrete
Gary Kurtz is a better source for this stuff than Lucas

Empire had delays due to filming in the Arctic

Jedi had no problems, the director was a yesman. It was the only one of the originals that finished on time and on budget.

>blaming Marcia

nigga pls that was a one day meme

You cant even get your basic facts right, they divorced in 1983 not 1987
>>
>>62984471
This, actually.
>>
>>62985469
Coppola was talking shit about her thats why things broke down you fucking neet
>>
>>62984471
and the 99% of people are an imbecile just like you.
>>
>Granted only one interview since her 1983 divorce, to author Peter Biskind for his book "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls." It is the only time she has discussed the factors resulting in the dissolution of her marriage to George Lucas, including their difficulty to conceive a child, Lucas' overworked schedule as a film Producer and as head of the ever-expanding Lucasfilm corporation, as well as the role of Lucas' parents and his colleague Francis Ford Coppola in causing friction in the relationship.

>George Lucas, for his part, refuses to discuss Marcia or her contribution to his films (including her Oscar-winning editing on Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)) in interviews
>including her Oscar-winning editing on Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

Lucas drives away every other creative input that is not a yes man. Marcia. Kurtz. Kershner.
>>
>>62985287
Kill me now.
>>
>9 originally?
Changed his mind during the production of 6, since shit was took too much effort. That's why ideas from the 7-9 trilogy were all crammed into 6, Leia as the sister instead of mysterious unknown sister, Emperor dies along with Vader, Rebellion wins, etc...
>>
>>62985782
He never drove away Kershner.

And fuck Kershner. Mr. I' would've filmed Empire in digital if it existed back then. If all these people are so brilliant how come they amounted to jack-shit post their SW gigs? What did Lucas use his Illuminati powers to ruin them?
Nobody's fucking perfect and nothing is really black & white.
>>
>>62983616
I doubt he wanted to make 9 originally. He is a proven liar on numerous things. He just makes shit up to try and give them more legitimacy.
>>
>>62983689
in theory it was so technology would catch up with his vision.
That being said...that doesn't seem likely. He had the prequels written in the early 80s and was just waiting for bed special effects??
It's not a very good script and most of the stuff could have largely been done at that time (just not with CGI obviously)
>>
>>62985469
source?
>>
>>62985368
>implying anyone gave two shits abou American Graffiti and THX isn't a product for him to sell
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.