[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? What would you like to see in a new trilogy,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: the-matrix.jpg (2 MB, 2462x1200) Image search: [Google]
the-matrix.jpg
2 MB, 2462x1200
What went wrong?

What would you like to see in a new trilogy, if it's ever made?
>>
i'd like to see it not being made
>>
the fight scene in Revolution was pretty good desu senpai
>>
>>62979620

no, it's run its course
>>
>>62979620
>What went wrong?

It was one film with a powerful message and when it made money they said "LOL WE WERE PLANNING A TRILOGY ALL ALONG"

Scenes that took place in The Matrix weren't sterile CGI backgrounds, they were gritty and genuine.

Theatrical and stuffed line deliveries were kept to minimum. Dozer and Tank were real people in every sense of the word.

And of course the idea was fresh to most of the audience, bullet time wasn't an overused technique, and there weren't ugly ass CGI fights.
>>
>>62979620
Even the first one was nothing but an action flick with terrible dialogue and acting. The world itself was interesting and raised a lot of questions, but the moment they went deeper in the second and third movie, it was all over.
>>
>>62979620
>What went wrong?
Studio interference.
IIRC when the Wachowskis decided to make a trilogy (whether it happened before they made the first one, or after it became so popularr), their initial plan was to make part 2 from the POV of the machines and part 3 the conclusion. Warner said no because they didn't want a movie without Keanu, so all the ideas from part 2 went into the Animatrix ("second renaissance" in particular) and the Architect's clumsy monologue, and part 3 was extended into 2 films.

>What would you like to see in a new trilogy, if it's ever made?
less studio interference.
>>
File: detective story.jpg (339 KB, 1440x576) Image search: [Google]
detective story.jpg
339 KB, 1440x576
>>62979620
The first movie was grounded. It was the personal journey of Keanu, from grimy-apartment neet to Jesus. The movies had nowhere to go. If they had done more spin-offs focusing on other characters in the matrix, they'd have done alright
>>
>>62980357
>no qt revolutionary war between man and machine with machine winning
that animatrix short was pretty gud.
>>
>>62980357
I disagree, generally speaking they could have made a good trilogy showing how neo and the others free humainity form robot slavery, but they just didn't pull it off.

that being said, the first one probably would have remained the best either way
>>
>>62979620
The first movie was a really cool look into an alien world. It felt weird and dreamy while still seeming brutal physical. It held itself together with an eastern philosophy type thing but it never became preachy because the concepts made hard, real sense within that universe. It was really simple at it's core but built a dark and delicious world around itself.

I think the Animatrix would be a really good starting point for imagining what the Matrix could have been. It shows how beautiful and fucked up life in this new world is. It does a really good job of presenting the adventures of people who just barley brush up with the edges of their artificial reality. That's probably where the Matrix universe shines: that shacky moment between "everything is normal" and "reality is run by robots."

Personally I would have loved a set of sequels were Neo becomes the villain. He becomes so in tune with the digital world that meat space begins to seem alien. He begins setting up a kingdom in the Matrix, appearing as a kind of Charles Mansion type character. The machines become worried that he'll destroy them from the inside and begin a digital war.

You could have:
>A plot about a group of human rebels having to physically travel thru the machine cities to find where Neo hid his body
>A Tweeeeest where the first generation of machines planned this all along. A true merging of the two species
>Everyone still thinking Morphus is a crazy asshole. He saves the day anyway
>A sub-plot of Neo awakening potential disciples
>A horrifying moment where Neo or the Humans try to communicate with a benevolent machine only to find out how alien it's mind is
>A horrifying moment where Morpheus tries to communicate with Neo only to find out how alien he has become
>>
So now I want to re-watch all these.
>>
>>62983061
Honestly The Matrix feels quite dated now and the plot isn't nearly as engaging as it was when I was 10.
>>
>>62979620
Nothing went wrong. People were just pissed that the "magic" was logically explained away.
>>
>>62983215

the first one is still a good film however you look at it, something being "dated" isn't that good of an argument for it being bad, unless you're talking about cgi
>>
>>62983251
Indeed. The whole story was already planned out before the first film went into production.

You just don't like it and that's fine, but as far as the films go, nothing went wrong.
>>
>>62979620
There will undoubtedly be a remake within 20 years when 90s nostalgia is as memerific as 70s nostalgia
>>
>>62983251
... there was never any logical explanation for neo suddenly having powers "outside" the matrix.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.