[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If they have universal translators, why does only Chekov have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Chekov_as_William_Claiborne.jpg (21 KB, 358x436) Image search: [Google]
Chekov_as_William_Claiborne.jpg
21 KB, 358x436
If they have universal translators, why does only Chekov have an accent?
>>
Chekov is a Russian who learned English and speaks with an accent. If he spoke Russian, he'd sound American or British due to the translators.
>>
>>62975128
>scotty
>no accent
1/10
>>
>>62975151
He learn eengleesh from moose and squirrel
>>
Was Picard speaking French?
If so, why did Data call it a dead language?
If not, why did a Frenchman have a British accent?
>>
So are Spock and Worf speaking Klingon and Vulcan and getting translated?

Also why, when other races are being translated, do their mouths move to match the English words?
>>
>>62975222
It's tv
>>
>>62975222
Why would worf, who was raised by humans in the Ukraine speak klingon as his primary language?
>>
>>62975222
because the actors were actually speaking english
>>
>>62975215
>If not, why did a Frenchman have a British accent?

Star Trek is set in an utopian future.
>>
>>62975222
>So are Spock and Worf speaking Klingon and Vulcan and getting translated?
Worf is either speaking Russian or English as he was brought up on Galt colony by a couple of Russians, it probably would have benefitted him to learn English though before enrolling at the academy. I don't know where he learned Klingonese though, and with his character I really wouldn't be surprised if he spoke Klingon all the time to honour his heritage.

I don't know about Spock, but I'd imagine he's speaking English as his mother was human and his father was a diplomat who worked for the Federation and the Vulcans, so he would have known it and 'it would be logical to speak in the language of my crew'.

>when other races are being translated, do their mouths move to match the English words?
No, they were just too lazy to shoot it like that, or didn't bother because it wouldn't add anything to the narrative and would be massively distracting.
>>
>>62975302
>Star Trek is set in an utopian future.
Yeah but there are still humans with British, Russian, American and Indian accents, why not French?
>>
>>62975357
France got destroyed in "Crusades: The Next Generation" in 2025.
>>
>>62975222
>Also why, when other races are being translated, do their mouths move to match the English words?

holo-emitter from the communicator
>>
>>62975357
France surrendered to multiculturalism.
>>
File: DSC_0344.jpg (567 KB, 2848x4288) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0344.jpg
567 KB, 2848x4288
>>62975128
>why does only Chekov have an accent?
Because "LOL SIRRY RUSKIES" jokes, and it's not even a Russian accent. It's a Walter "I'm bad at impersonations" Koenig invention.

>Born: September 14, 1936 (age 79)

First Doohan, then Nimoy, who's next? About how many years until all the original series cast are dead?
>>
>>62975128
Sulu has a gay accent
>>
>>62975714
The thing is he could speak Russian with a proper accent.
The producers thought that it sounded too boring so the one he uses on the show is a comedy-Russian accent he had to make up just to match their stereotypical expectations.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.