[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ciméma verité
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: ciméma verité.png (30 KB, 733x715) Image search: [Google]
ciméma verité.png
30 KB, 733x715
/tv/ tell me about ciméma verité, what do you like about it and what are your favorite films using this film making style
>>
The Passion of the Christ is probably the best.
>>
Avatar is one of my favorite Kinos in veritas.
>>
In case any newbies dont know what exactly ciméma verité is,

>a style of documentary filmmaking, invented by Jean Rouch, inspired by Dziga Vertov's theory about Kino-Pravda and influenced by Robert Flaherty’s films. It combines improvisation with the use of the camera to unveil truth or highlight subjects hidden behind crude reality

>It is sometimes called observational cinema, if understood as pure direct cinema: mainly without a narrator's voice-over. There are subtle, yet important, differences among terms expressing similar concepts. Direct Cinema is largely concerned with the recording of events in which the subject and audience become unaware of the camera's presence: operating within what Bill Nichols, an American historian and theoretician of documentary film, calls the "observational mode", a fly on the wall. Many therefore see a paradox in drawing attention away from the presence of the camera and simultaneously interfering in the reality it registers when attempting to discover a cinematic truth.

Cinéma vérité can involve stylized set-ups and the interaction between the filmmaker and the subject, even to the point of provocation. Some argue that the obvious presence of the filmmaker and camera was seen by most cinéma vérité filmmakers as the best way to reveal the truth in cinema. The camera is always acknowledged, for it performs the raw act of filming real objects, people, and events in a confrontational way. The filmmaker's intention was to represent the truth in what he or she was seeing as objectively as possible, freeing people from any deceptions in how those aspects of life were formerly presented to them. From this perspective, the filmmaker should be the catalyst of a situation. Few agree on the meanings of these terms, even the filmmakers whose films are being described.

consider this useful piece of information a bump
>>
Do the work of the maysles count?
>>
Fish Tank and Festen fit this type of film, right?
>>
>>62967847
yes they do
>>
>>62967867
if both works are works of fiction, then no they aren't
>>
>>62967815
Mel Gibson's hand appears in Passion and it meets all of the other criteria.

No one's willing to seriously discuss it, though, including you, so fuck it, I'm going to another thread to impart wisdom.
>>
>tfw posters are slowly getting smarter and more informed and you just know /film/ is on the horizon
>>
>>62967930
>Mel Gibson's hand
i dont think his bias shows in the film he has made, it doesn't show any indication of misinformation and follows closely to the bible.

maybe the killing of jesus was hammed up but that's the only thing i think is solely because of his directorial choice

What wisdom have you imparted before you left
>>
Here's a great example of Cinéma vérité
>>
File: louis malle phantom India.jpg (66 KB, 576x373) Image search: [Google]
louis malle phantom India.jpg
66 KB, 576x373
>>62968155
fucking christ
>>
Cinema Verite has very broad parameters. I consider Frederick Wiseman to be verite. Wikipedia has a list of who is considered cinema verite, but I don't consider Cassavetes or Tarr to be under that category, although Cassavetes is one of my favorites. To me verite cinema should be placing a camera down and letting the real subjects do the work. The existence of a director's imprint on the film, while probably superior, it renders the definition of verite useless. It's just another label, and one that's getting watered down for no reason at all. Why not just call it a film and move on?

>>62968169
Like this. Phantom India is a documentary, should it be defined as verite cinema? Maybe it should be, but it feels weird to consider it as such.
>>
>>62968322
>Why not just call it a film and move on?
because its an observational film depicting things that are true but wouldn't otherwise without the camera, it shouldn't just have a blanket term put over it just because it isn't specific.

i will agree that the term is too vague
>>
>>62968322
Maybe I'm just viewing Cinema Verite as a singular thing like a documentary, and it's real an all encompassing term. But I always had a strong feeling of whether something was what I considered verite or if it was a documentary or a realistic portrayal of something like poverty or the bad side of a relationship through theatrics.
>>
>>62967815
can you or anyone else give some examples of films that uses these techniques or are considered cinéma vertié?
>>
If used at the right time in a narrative, it can have a great impact. When I think of cinema verite though, instead of thinking about French New Wave, I think of the Duplass brothers and their movies are terrible.
>>
>>62967957
Yeah everyone is catching up to you, m8.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.