[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What as so great about this movie aside from the visuals? It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
What as so great about this movie aside from the visuals?

It seemed to fall flat in every other department. Even the Fritz lang didn't like the end result.
>>
>>62965782
It's a silent film. What else do you get but visuals
>>
literal propaganda
>>
>>62967378
ever heard of 'show, dont tell' pleb
>>
>the visuals
Stop this meme
>>
File: 859226814_HWT327_123_396lo.jpg (58 KB, 542x480) Image search: [Google]
859226814_HWT327_123_396lo.jpg
58 KB, 542x480
>>62965782
nigga this movie is like 100 years old, it may not compare to your fast and furious flicks in terms of pacing and 'splosions
>>
>>62965782

>Even Fritz Lang didn't like the end result

that's because his insane Nazi ex-wife wrote the script so Lang got butthurt over people regarding it as one of his masterpieces
>>
>>62967446
there is no real character development and the plot is pretty simplistic

I mean come on
>woman somehow sneaks a horde of children into a private upper class area
>guy sees the pretty woman
>ventures into the worker city for da bussy
>within moments is convinced that the workers should be given rights

>he finally meets her for the first time in the catacombs
>they kiss literally moments after meeting
>>
>>62967481

do you like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?
>>
Everyone thinks I'm shitposting when I say it but its a lot like Avatar. Way too long, way too preachy and moralizing, beautiful effects and production design that can't support a 3 hour film
>>
>>62967510
snow white and the seven dwarves is a children's fairy tale
>>
>>62967417
it had pretty good ocular qualities, lacking in the auditory and conceptual areas.
>>
File: 859135398_HWT303_123_43lo.jpg (61 KB, 542x480) Image search: [Google]
859135398_HWT303_123_43lo.jpg
61 KB, 542x480
>>62967481
It's a fugging silent film brah, there's only so much you can do without dialogue n shit.
Would you have them sit down and discuss the plight of the underground proletarians before engaging in a kiss or coming to the conclusion that the workers should be given rights?
>>
>>62967514
>way too preachy and moralizing
its literal propaganda to fight the soviet propaganda
>>
>>62967467
>yfw you we will never have sex with a Hitler heiling babe

Why live?
>>
>>62965782
Wikipedia
>>
>>62967595
>babe
Wasn't she fat
>>
>>62967519

it's a landmark in animation that received an honorary award from the Academy for being the first of its kind and numerous critics list it as one of the best films of all time

books are not just about plot, they're about themes

movies are not just about plot, they're about cinematography

second question: did you like Citizen Kane?
>>
File: 1927_metropolis_002.jpg (49 KB, 824x464) Image search: [Google]
1927_metropolis_002.jpg
49 KB, 824x464
>>62965782
It's like the Ford model T of scifi. It's important because it set the foundation for the next century of science fiction films. Just one example: Doc Brown, Doctor Octopus, Professor Farnsworth, and every other mad scientist is heavily inspired by Dr Rotwang. Without this movie all the ones after it wouldn't exist or be very different: Blade Runner, Aliens, Star Wars, etc.
>>
File: MPW-59132.jpg (45 KB, 500x723) Image search: [Google]
MPW-59132.jpg
45 KB, 500x723
>>62967595

>mfw I've had sex with a Hitler heiling jew

You jelly?
>>
>>62967756
Was she vintage? Post-1945 heiling just isn't the same, tbqh family.
>>
>>62965782
> besides the visuals

all a movie needs is good visuals
>>
File: Le_Voyage_dans_la_lune.jpg (23 KB, 257x264) Image search: [Google]
Le_Voyage_dans_la_lune.jpg
23 KB, 257x264
I just watched this and don't get why it's supposedly part of "cinema history". There's no plot development, it's scientifically innacurate (a face on the moon? puh-lease), and to top it all off it doesn't even follow the guidelines laid down by Save The Cat! (an essential tome for a budding screenwriter such as myself). It fails as a film on every concievable level.
>>
>>62965782
At the time it was a big deal. Super stylistic. Momentous plot. It was very influential from the time it came out.

PS: Just because the creator doesn't like it or something doesn't mean it shouldn't be appreciated. Burgess hates his most popular book, A Clockwork Orange.
>>
>>62965782
IT's very relevant even today, because it shows the division of class and how the extremely rich are blinded to how the incredibly poor are working themselves to death to make them richer.

the great cities will collapse once the poor revolt, and the rich will be powerless to stop it.
>>
>>62970185
>PS: Just because the creator doesn't like it or something doesn't mean it shouldn't be appreciated. Burgess hates his most popular book, A Clockwork Orange.

You're right but that's a shitty example.
>>
>>62970206
Ok, I should have used Tarkovsky. He didn't like Solaris or the long cut of Andrei Rublev.
>>
>>62967649
Watch more films kid
>>
Faust is better.
>>
>>62965782

>aside from the visuals
>silent film

Maximum Fritz LOL right now
>>
>>62970357
This is a common mistake that plebs make. It's not that he didn't like Solaris, he was disappointed in that the film failed to break away from its genre, something he finally achieved with Stalker later on. Tarkovsky didn't like the fact that Solaris was constantly being referred to as sci-fi.
>>
>>62970504
I agree with you. But, long story short, he didn't like it. If he could go back to Solaris, he would lighten up on the tropes. It was the feature he did that he had the most regrets about.
>>
Murnau is better. Faust had better visuals, and a better story that didn't rely on muh classism. Also showed how do tell a story without relying on intertitles in his later films. Suck it, Fritz. You're lucky Murnau booped his head and died early.
>>
>>62965782
>silent film
>What (w)as so great about this movie aside from the visuals?
top kek
>>
Same could be said about the first Star Wars.
>>
>What was so great about this silent film besides the visuals?
>>
>What was so great about a silent film that is mostly famous for visuals besides the visuals

I dunno OP KIND OF A FUNNY QUESTION

Also.

>Introduced the dystopian genre to film before all the rain and neon

(Not that there's anything wrong with rain and neon it's just kind of overplayed)

BUT I STILL LOVE THE RAIN AND NEON. WHERE DOES THE RAIN COME FROM, WHO IS THE RAIN MAKER.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.