[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'm in a watching a lot of movies phase right now and i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: victoria-2015-film.jpg (37 KB, 880x474) Image search: [Google]
victoria-2015-film.jpg
37 KB, 880x474
i'm in a watching a lot of movies phase right now and i would like some recommendations. i'm no movie buff but I enjoy them when the mood strikes me. any recs would be great. thanks.

if this is against the rules, sorry.
>>
Gay Niggers from Outerspace
>>
well shit man, how about some criteria? you've given us nothing to go off of
>>
>>62962192

accessible movies that are masterpieces:

Margaret
Zodiac
Boyhood
Detention
Once Upon a Time in America
Alfred Hitchcock's movies

hit those up bruh, high artistic value matched with entertainment
>>
>>62962462
sorry.

can be super artsy/experimental or not. old or new. genre movie or not. long or short. just good shit. i would prefer something "artistic" but whatever.
>>
>>62962192
try doing director based marathons.
i.e an obvious one would be a James Cameron one which would consist of:
The Terminator,
Terminator 2,
Aliens,
The Abyss,
True Lies,
Titanic and Avatar are obviously optional etc.

Have fun
>>
File: 4178_5.jpg (32 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
4178_5.jpg
32 KB, 728x409
try A Man Escaped

it sort of bridges the gap to a more arthouse style while being incredibly thrilling and accessible

best prison escape ever without question
>>
>>62962465
thanks dude
>>
>>62962561
>>62962567

thanks. think i will look at a man escaped
>>
File: Badlands-Jaime-4-May-2013.png (263 KB, 570x320) Image search: [Google]
Badlands-Jaime-4-May-2013.png
263 KB, 570x320
>>62962561
I agree with this. Following a director from first to last is super rewarding and doing so is what really started to get me into film as a more closely studied artform.

For a one-off I recommend Badlands. It is a strange and beautiful movie about a man and his girlfriend on a killing spree. And I do mean strange, not in a surrealist or experimental way, but primarily strange in its warmth and restraint.

And then if you like that movie you can, in following a director's filmography, move on to Terrance Malick's 'Days of Heaven' which is a masterpiece as well.
>>
>>62962709

and then he'll hit Thin Red Line, which is another masterpiece. And then New World, and whoa, it's another masterpiece. And then he'll get to Tree of Life, and woo boy there's a masterpiece. And then end up with To The Wonder, and guess what, it's pretty close to being a masterpiece.

Malick 4-ever.
>>
>>62962743
i've seen tree of life, but that's it. thanks.
>>
>>62962743
naah, post-70s Malick falls off
I like Tree of Life but Thin Red Line, The New World, and To The Wonder are pretty weak
>>
The best way is to follow directors or specific actors you like

>>62962709 and >>62962561 have the right idea. When you follow a certain director you can see how they express themselves through the movies they create. It's probably the best way to understand what film can do as a medium. If you become more interested, start to study film theory because it really is an interesting subject.
Unfortunately due to the nature of film, it is difficult to jump into the industry as a hobby. So just keep watching movies friend.
>>
>>62962858

I disagree entirely. In fact I think The New World is his best film and Thin Red Line is his second best. I do think basically every one of his movies is a masterpiece though.
>>
File: DaysHeaven2.jpg (397 KB, 1235x708) Image search: [Google]
DaysHeaven2.jpg
397 KB, 1235x708
>>62962885
Well, that's fair. I totally understand why someone would love his films, and those two in particular. Just not really my thing.

The gliding handheld and stream-of-consciousness narration creates a pretty unique aesthetic, but I find Days of Heaven in particular just so much more earthly and alive. It feels less intellectual and more authentic.
>>
The Mirror
Au Hasard Balthazar
Hiroshima Mon Amour
Silence Has No Wings
Patriotism
Vive L'Amour
La Strada
Still Life
Letter Never Sent
Werckmeister Harmonies
>>
The Raid 2: Berendal
>>
File: fellini5.jpg (29 KB, 595x325) Image search: [Google]
fellini5.jpg
29 KB, 595x325

Persona
L'avventura
Breathless
Battleship Potemkin

There's your "getting into film" starter pack.
Even if you don't like them they're all historically significant and will give you a good framework from which to view contemporary film. It's like reading the classic Greek Epics to contextualize contemporary literature. Not to mention you'll probably enjoy most of them, and if not they may grow on you in time.
>>
>>62962465
>boyhood
>masterpiece
Try again, pleb
>>
>>62963430

Birdman lover detected
>>
>>62963430
If the kid didn't grow up to be so annoying the movie wouldn't get nearly the hate it does

personally I couldn't stand him,but I think the idea was cool and I have mad respect for linklater and love a lot of stuff he's done
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.