[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some films with similar cinematography? I swear to god
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 1280x720
What are some films with similar cinematography? I swear to god if you say Drive I will shit myself.
>>
>>62961064
Heat.

Mann's movies in general have awesome cinematography.
>>
Walter Hill's The Driver, which Drive basically ripped off.
>>
Sicario had a lot of Mann's style in it
>>
>>62961064
Manhunter is my favourite Mann movie after Thief. I get the feeling you'd also like Brian De Palma's work. Have you seen Body Double? I think that it's kind of similar to Thief.
>>
>>62961358
I don't really like Brian De Palma's brand of masculinity, which strikes me as trashy and unintelligent. Mann by comparison I feel makes macho films that are thoughtful and emotionally nuanced. That said, I will try Body Double.
>>
>>62961632
>De Palma's brand of masculinity
I feel like this is Scarface's fault. I was going to add to my other post that Scarface should be ignored when looking at the rest of De Palma's filmography. It's got touches of what makes his work great but at other times it feels soulless compared to his other work. I think of Scarface as a De Palma themed big Hollywood movie rather than an actual De Palma movie.

There is a skeezy element to a lot of De Palma's work but his best stuff tends to also be very pretty with a manic energy to them that makes them a lot of fun.
>>
File: To_Live_and_Die_in_L.A..jpg (23 KB, 275x425) Image search: [Google]
To_Live_and_Die_in_L.A..jpg
23 KB, 275x425
To Live and Die in LA
>>
>>62962234
The tagline made me think the director was the main character for a sec.
>>
Drive
>>
>>62961234
I just watched it yesterday and I didn't really see a lot of Mann. What are you thinking about specifically?
>>
>>62961806
>soulless

That's actually the cocaine. It's a wild, emotionally tone-deaf movie because that's exactly what coke does to you. Scarface is bigger than Pacino, Stone, or De Palma. It's a borderline incoherent mess that somehow works because all three guys are popping on all cylinders.
>>
>>62962234
This
Point Blank
The Man Who Wasn't There
>>
Thanks for the recs, bros.
>>
File: alphabet-city.jpg (34 KB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
alphabet-city.jpg
34 KB, 448x252
>>62961064

Drive.

Also other crappy 80's films like Manhunt, Streets Of Fire, Alphabet City, Fatal Beauty, Purple Rain.

I don't know why people are bringing up stuff like Heat or Sicario. You'd have to watch movies with your eyes closed.
>>
File: large_long_good_friday_08.jpg (780 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
large_long_good_friday_08.jpg
780 KB, 1920x1080
>>
Jon Cassetteplayer's The Cracking of a Fortune Cookie
>>
>>62963980
>I don't know why people are bringing up stuff like Heat or Sicario. You'd have to watch movies with your eyes closed.
Fucking this

Also De Palma and Mann have nothing to do with each other aesthetically. If OP means "good looking thrillers" -- yes. If "visually similar to Mann" -- fuck no.
>>
File: Poster.gif (920 KB, 500x741) Image search: [Google]
Poster.gif
920 KB, 500x741
>>
File: Cruising.png (880 KB, 1276x717) Image search: [Google]
Cruising.png
880 KB, 1276x717
>>
File: E9ng0rR.jpg (100 KB, 500x516) Image search: [Google]
E9ng0rR.jpg
100 KB, 500x516
>>62964169

He said Cinematography similar to "Thief".

Body Double contains similar cinematography.

People are (once again) confusing a directors composition, movement and editing choices for lighting.

Thief contains a whole bunch of 80's cinematography hallmarks;

>Neon Lights
>Mercury Vapor Lights
>Fluorescent Lights
>Pastel Gels and Production Design
>Soft Image via Lens Filtration, Stockings To Catch
>Smoke, And Then More Smoke
>Wet Streets At Night/Blue Light At Night
>Long Lenses

Perfect example is video related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeRk1QjYGBc
>>
>>62964523
>Body Double contains similar cinematography.
No you fucking idiot
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.