[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Antonioni's later films feel so amateurish? I enjoy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: url.jpg (12 KB, 187x269) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
12 KB, 187x269
Why do Antonioni's later films feel so amateurish? I enjoy Blow Up and Passenger quite a bit, but them and Zabriskie Point just feel so bizzare and slapped together. Music fading in and disappearing at random times, messy as hell audio, lots of ugly shot compositions with George Lucas levels of clutter in the frame.

They're not BAD, I still love Blow up and like The Passenger, but coming from the rigid stylist who made L'eclisse and La Notte it seems bizzare to go from those clean compositions and sense of absolute precision to sloppy British slags in claustrophobic lofts that seem to be mic'd on every part of their bodies
>>
>>62960917

you serious mate? I just watched both of them in the last few days and I can't agree at all.

I actually think The Passenger is the far, far better film but how can you see the two exquisitely perfect tracking shots from that film (the first of which is maybe 4 or 5 minutes long and the latter is around 7) as the product of anything less than Antonioni's rigid style? I think The Passenger is actually one of his best films and the languid, wandering quality of the movie is extremely evocative of the sense of alienation that he goes for with it.
>>
>>62960917
Bane?
>>
>>62961000
The tracking shot is great, of course, but like the whole beginning part feels like a well directed tv-movie
I don't know how to explain it its bizzare.
>>
>>62961081

I didn't really feel that way. I think the very first shot of the movie looks peculiarly overexposed and grainy but from there on in the style becomes familiarly masterful.

I haven't seen L'Avventura, La Notte, and L'Eclisse in 5 years or so and I'm planning to rewatch them this week. Pretty hyped as I'm sure I'll appreciate them far more now.
>>
Actually come to think of it I think the handheld is a large part of it
>>
>>62961179
nice! seeing them in a retrospective? or just at home?

i feel like I have to see l'avventura in theatre one day
>>
>>62960917
He never topped la notte.
>>
>>62961264

just at home

my gf hasn't seen any Antonioni and she's going through a fairly strong existential crisis so I feel like that Vitti trilogy will probably have a big impact
>>
is this in any way related to blow out with travolta?
>>
>>62961383

yes

the De Palma movie is based on Antonioni's
>>
>>62961383
YES actually

Blow Out was Brian De Palma's homage to Blow Up. Where Travolta was a sound recorder, Hemmings in Blow Up is a photographer.

Blow Up also inspired Coppola's The Conversation about an audio/surveillance man.
Whereas
>>
File: please.jpg (27 KB, 500x340) Image search: [Google]
please.jpg
27 KB, 500x340
>>62961336
>my gf hasn't seen any Antonioni and she's going through a fairly strong existential crisis so I feel like that Vitti trilogy will probably have a big impact
>>
>>62961336
Well, enjoy! Hope she likes them
>>
>>62961583

>I'm so alone that I get mad when someone responds to a question about why/how they're revisiting a trilogy of movies
>>
>>62961583
>tumblr picture of someone from a boy band as a reaction image
whats going on
>>
>>62961414
>>62961441
ya I had an inkling of a feeling it was. I probably just read it somewhere. also, I've only seen L'Avventura and Il Grido, the latter being absolutely immense and haunting. What is it about Italian black and white films being so depressing and memorable? I don't think Il Grido even counts as neorealism, does it?
>>
File: fancy.png (357 KB, 640x470) Image search: [Google]
fancy.png
357 KB, 640x470
>>62961583
>>62961722
>>
god fucking damn FUCKING HIPSTERS GET THE FUCK OUTTA TV I WANT TO TALK ABOUT NOLANDTARANTINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>62961383
Yes De Palma's film is a trippy gumbo mix of Antonioni's Blow-Up, Coppola's Conversation and Hitchcock's Psycho, all for the purpose of placing American political conspiracy within its pop culture osmosis, infecting the American cinephilia with flower child paranoia starring the icon of the time John Travolta. Brazen stuff, this is homage used well and disciple Tarantino should take notes.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.