[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel like I'm the only sci fi fan on the planet who doesnt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: starwars.jpg (46 KB, 620x320) Image search: [Google]
starwars.jpg
46 KB, 620x320
I feel like I'm the only sci fi fan on the planet who doesnt give a fuck about star wars
>>
am I the only scifi fan on the planet who doesn't give a fuck about scifi films?
>>
>>62955388
You're not alone. I'm under the opinion that everything george lucas ever made was halfassed.
>>
Of course you don't. Star Wars is not sci fi.
>>
File: 1448172354309.png (1 MB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1448172354309.png
1 MB, 800x800
>>62955388
>Star Wars
>sci-fi

please stop this meme
>>
>>62955388
another star wars thread? you guys excited to see why luke is only in it for a short time? think he comes out of nowhere and fucks kylo rens shit up?
i cant wait, so hyped, glad i have another star wars thread to chat with my fellow star wars fans in
>>
>>62955452

have you seen THX 1138? as someone who thinks every Star Wars movie is shit I think that movie is pretty damned amazing. It's inconceivable that Lucas could have made it and then made Star Wars.
>>
>>62955476
are you the faggot that made that reaction image from the star wars tree last night
>>
>>62955388
Star Wars is fantasy, not science fiction. A story being set in space doesn't make it science fiction.
>>
I thought star wars is soap opera
>>
>>62955476
Yeah guys get it right. It's a space-opera.
>>
>>62955513
>>62955513

Science fiction is a genre of speculative fiction dealing with imaginative concepts such as futuristic settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes and extraterrestrial life.
>>
>>62955501
Never heard of it. I'll give it a look. I just meant indiana jones and star wars. I don't get why people thought the new indiana ruined the series. It was bad for exactly all of the same reasons as the others. And I don't get why the star wars prequels ruined the series either, because new hope empire and jedi were riddled with fallacies and inconsistencies. Just fanboys trying to have something to protest loudly against.
>>
>>62955587
Star Wars is set in the past and has no time-travel or parallel universes.

It is a fantasy film with wizards, princesses, swords and magic.

Science-fiction explores the human condition and philosophises on where mankind may one day be.

Interstellar. 2001: A Space Odyssey. Blade Runner. This is science-fiction.

Star Wars. Alien. Spaceballs. These are not science-fiction. They are a fantasy, a horror, and a comedy, respectively.

Space is a setting, not a genre.
>>
I don't care for the films but I loved some of the games and books when I was younger.
>>
>>62955649

you should give it a look. Lucas actually did at one time have aspirations to make experimental films and cited people like Alain Resnais as his inspirations. He sold his soul to become a hack though.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 450x300
Prequels - Soap Opera

OT: Wagnerian Opera

Sequels: Videogame, SJW crowd
>>
File: bobby toss 4ch.webm (592 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
bobby toss 4ch.webm
592 KB, 853x480
yeah it's literally just you.

and you're gonna have to deal with non-stop star wars threads for the next 10 years

non-stop star wars movies every year, multiple times. and of course non-stop constant discussion about them on the internet.

tons of star wars shit everywhere. in your grocery store, on the radio, on tv, on advertisements. if you have sons, daughters or nieces and nephews, you better start buying them some star wars shit.

everybody else like star wars so you're just gonna have to deal with that.
>>
Star wars is fantasy, like GoT
>>
I wish star wars threads had "SW" or "Star Wars" in the title so i could filter them
>>
>>62956778
thanks, I'll make sure to avoid using them the next time I make a thread about star wars
>>
File: 1447060875357.gif (2 MB, 380x340) Image search: [Google]
1447060875357.gif
2 MB, 380x340
>>62957392
fugg what have i done
>>
>>62955388
cück wars has always been shit
>>
>>62955388
It's a cinematic Space Opera you dick!
>>
>>62956778
how does it feel knowing that you will be kekolded 100% of the time you spend on this board unless hiro deigns to gives you /film/?
>>
>>62955833
>Star Wars is set in the past
Futuristic =/= in the future

It's both science fiction and fantasy. Alien is sci-fi horror. Spaceballs is sci-fi comedy.
>>
File: image.jpg (197 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197 KB, 1024x768
What is Episode VIi even about?
>>
none of the star wars fans on here actually care about sci fi
>>
File: accurateplotline.png (2 MB, 764x1294) Image search: [Google]
accurateplotline.png
2 MB, 764x1294
>>62955504
:)
>>
>>62956382
Got is garbage
>>
I'm in the middle of reading the Hyperion Cantos

Shame it could never be adapted to the screen
>>
>>62955388
Its treason then
>>
>>62959662
ARRRRGGHHHAGGRHHH
>>
File: ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.png (653 KB, 1472x784) Image search: [Google]
ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.png
653 KB, 1472x784
>>
>>62957710
Alien is sci-fi because it's about the consequences of science/technology.

It's a cautionary tale about exploring and seeking understanding of the unknown with technology, and the dangers of controlling and weaponizing nature through bioengineering, both of these are motivated by the greed of the weyland corporation.

Spaceballs isn't about the consequences of science and technology. It's a comedy. Genres are about themes and story structure, not the setting or superficial shit like space ships or time travel.
>>
>>62955388
You're not. You're not special
>>
>>62955388
star wars isnt science fiction you stupid faggot but no youre not the only one who both likes science fiction and doesnt give a fuck about star wars
>>
Do you think the word "Sith" will be mentioned in TFA?
>>
>>62958021
>>62959983
what manner of meme is this
>>
>>62955587
>Science fiction is a genre of speculative fiction dealing with imaginative concepts such as futuristic settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes and extraterrestrial life.

This definition is for plebs, the next line is more useful

>Science fiction often explores the potential consequences of scientific and other innovations, and has been called a "literature of ideas."

How do I know this? Frankenstein is the perfect example of science fiction because it isolates what makes science fiction attractive and different from other genres. It's set in the past, both now and when it was written. There's no space, aliens, ray guns, time machines, or superficial conventions, only science and what happens when you fuck with it.
>>
Educate yourselves plebs:

https://youtu.be/RZvcKB9vQO0

science fiction is a very open term. Star Wars can be called science-fiction but being a Star Wars fan doesn't make you a science-fiction fan.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.