[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I decided to watch this. And in the very first episode. The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 13
File: vikings.jpg (147 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vikings.jpg
147 KB, 1280x720
I decided to watch this.

And in the very first episode. The very first fucking episode, they fucked up the most basic shit.

When they take the boat out for the first time, the rudder is on the left. Holy fuck.

Why the hell do they think they call it "Starboard" for?
Starboard=Steerboard

The side that the steerer is on. It's so fucking simple.

Fucking dropped.

Also, why do they need fancy technology when the IRL Vikings raided Frisia like 200 years earlier?
Sweden and Denmark are separated by water so short that you can see the other side at all times. You can walk it in cold winter.

So why is this a problem for our heroes when you can just sail to the north cost of continental Europe and go West hugging coast, like the real Vikings did?

REEEEEE
>>
>>62929897
Literally Game of Thrones: Poor Man's version.
>>
>>62929915
Better waifus tho
>>
The nautical terms you mention originate from old english, and if you watched abit more you'd know they have not been there , and thats what they needed the fancy technology, no to sail to Denmark, but to find and prove there are lands beyond that... The maps they had are not the maps you have, and international nautical standarts where not a thing.
>>
File: the last kingdom.jpg (759 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
the last kingdom.jpg
759 KB, 3840x2160
>>62929897
Watch The Last Kingdom, anon. Much better in terms of drama and looks - although not super historically accurate, but still.
>>
>>62929954
this

lagertha is goat
>>
>>62930906
They don't need modern maps.

If they know of the eastern Baltic, they surely know of Denmark and the Jutland.
If they know that, they know that when the Jutland reaches its base, it spreads both East and West far beyond the horizon.

Where is this "West" they speak of that lies beyond the sea?

They should know a West that follows the Northern coast of Europe.
In fact, real Vikings did raiding along that all the time.

Though, I do like their sunstone.
IRL, we don't know what it was, but sources say that Vikings used a crystal to help navigate in open sea

Also, Old English and Old Norse are so similar that when the Vikings settled in England, they didn't need a translator to talk to the natives.

If you need more proof, look at Norwegian. "Styre" is still their noun for "Steer".
We've lost the noun but kept the verb. They kept the noun too.

Thus, "steerboard" is still true for the Viking.
>>
>>62930906
this, enjoy being a pathetic memeredditkeklord OP
>>
just learned katheryn winnick(lagertha) is 39 years old... wew..... she looks like she's 20
>>
>>62929897
Don't forget how the chief viking dude insists there are no lands to the West of Scandinavia, as if Scandis hadn't been going back and forth to Britain for centuries by that time
>>
>>62931014
cringe
>>
>>62929897
autism
>>
>>62929897
Floki doesn't care OP.

You shouldn't watch Vikings for historical accuracy anyway, your autism will kill you if you do.

You watch it for badass Ragnar senpai.

>>62932479
There was no internet back then anon, not everybody was aware of the discoveries of their neighbors except via rumors and myth.

>>62931285
>they surely know of Denmark
You didn't even read did you?
>>
>>62931014
Its actually quite historically accurate. Enjoying the fuck out of it to be honest.
>>
>>62931285
The west beyond the sea they are talking about is England
>>
File: Red kite-342.jpg (895 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
Red kite-342.jpg
895 KB, 2048x1365
>>62933125
Well they had a Harris hawk (could have used a native red kite) in one of the very first scene, and the Saxons would have almost certainly used round shields the same as the Danes. The acting and visuals are good.
>>
>>62931014

"The Blasted Buttmonkey" is moar liek it
>>
>>62933267
>the Saxons would have almost certainly used round shields the same as the Danes.
I read that the reason they used square shields instead of rounds where simply so that people could tell them apart.

>The acting and visuals are good.
Agreed. I didn't like the main character at first but he grew on me. I like how there is actually shit happening in this show and the story moves forward. Can't wait to see what happens. Suppose i could read the books but fuck that. This show is enjoyable
>>
I can't watch it because the main character gave up the sexiest woman ever to be on TV for a woman who cheats on him.
>>
Aethelstan is 100/10 waifu
>>
>>62933410
>I didn't like the main character at first but he grew on me.

I've watched up to episode 4 and with each episode the characters grew on me too. David Dawson as King Alfred is great.
>>
>>62933481

King Alfred "Son of Athelstan" the Great
>>
File: The Last Kingdom.webm (3 MB, 476x266) Image search: [Google]
The Last Kingdom.webm
3 MB, 476x266
>>
>>62933481
I can't decide weather to fucking hate King Alfred or not. He first seemed like a fucking dick, but he is more complicated character.

Why don't this show get more love ?
>>
I hate the amount of viking dick sucking that this show does in the latter seasons.
>>
It's Americans making a TV series about Vikings. Americans are notorius when it comes to changing stuff up just for the sake drama and viewer likeability, then there is the fact it's a TV series so you have TV writers (AKA people not talented enough to write books or movie scripts) and TV budget and lastly it's set in Europe which Americans know and understand very little about.

It's almost a miracle it's as good as it is.
>>
>>62933714
>Vikings is an Irish-Canadian historical drama television series
>>
>>62933714
>Created by Michael Hurst, written by Michael Hurst
>>
>>62933774
>Canadians

Americans-lite

>Irish

I bet they just supply the place and extras.

>History Channel

American TV station
>>
>>62933820

>Michael Hirst

Doesn't give a fuck about historical accuracy
>>
>>62933925
But he's from the UK bromigo. In that sense Game of Thrones is 100% american because it's on HBO (American)

Check mate, yuropoors
>>
This show is good as fuck honestly, better than got
>>
>>62933883
That's not how it works, it's all about the production companies.
>>
The show is good when not looked at for accuracy but the fact that it sparks these kind of factually driven conversations means that History Channel is doing a good job.
>>
>>62934035

The show is good when it has Aethelstan

Fuck Floki and fuck season 4 tbqh
>>
>>62934070

Floki might be annoying, but compare him to the side characters in got
>>
>>62933714
I'm curious if the prevalence of the word "American" on 4chan increases during times that are considered "Australian" or "European" hours on this board.
>>
>>62933966
>he's from UK

He is a kiwi and was on Hercules. It's safe to say he was americanized. GoT is American too, it even has American screenwriters.
>>
>>62934151
>He is a kiwi and was on Hercules

You've searched for Michael Hurst, the anon above spelt his name wrong. It's Michael Hirst.
>>
>>62934018
It's all about who is the show catering to. If it's for an American channel, it sure as fuck is going to pander to the American viewer.
>>
>>62934196
You're silly.
>>
>>62931285
THE SHOW IS ABOUT THEM GOING TO ENGLAND

YOU DUMB FUCKING CUNT MEME LORD
>>
>>62933517
How the fuck can they film this?
Thats illegal as fuck.
>>
File: Stinky.jpg (42 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Stinky.jpg
42 KB, 640x360
>>62929915

>watch Vikings
>find yourself looking up what the hell Mercia, Northumbria, Wessex, Frankia, etc. were and learning some history
>watch GoT
>find yourself arguing with retards about dragons, ice zombies, giants, etc. and getting played by some fat, beardy autist
>>
Its a good show, I don't know much about the history of vikings so I can't really be disappointed by historical inaccuracies, but taking it for what it is it's a pretty damn good show.
>>
>>62934309
But anon, they didn't show any tits and there weren't any to show
>>
>>62934309
The Danes were very nasty to the redheaded Britons, it needs to be told and explored.
>>
>>62934035
Ragnar Lothbrok ss all based on mythology anyways

Only his supposed sons are in history for the most part
>>
>>62931014
>its an Uhtred "hos b4 bros" of Bebbanburg choosing some hot pagan pussy over his m8 episode
>>
>>62933125
>historically accurate

That sword and that armor design are not even remotely historically accurate.
>>
File: Mr Borg.jpg (34 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
Mr Borg.jpg
34 KB, 306x306
Best Viking
>>
>>62935544
Jarl Borg did litterally nothing wrong
>>
File: Vikings 006.jpg (178 KB, 1280x723) Image search: [Google]
Vikings 006.jpg
178 KB, 1280x723
>>62929915
>it has medieval-europe inspired elements therefore GoT
>le production costs = quality logic

cool story bro
>>
Bend over, slave.
>>
File: king-horik-01.jpg (78 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
king-horik-01.jpg
78 KB, 1360x768
>>
File: 1407382249759.jpg (8 KB, 116x122) Image search: [Google]
1407382249759.jpg
8 KB, 116x122
>>62935726

So alpha, his own wife asked him to kuck her...
>>
File: ragnar-roman-bath.jpg (295 KB, 1359x1555) Image search: [Google]
ragnar-roman-bath.jpg
295 KB, 1359x1555
>>
File: the crop and the harvest.jpg (279 KB, 1360x742) Image search: [Google]
the crop and the harvest.jpg
279 KB, 1360x742
>Ecbert: It's a new type of plow. It does not just scratch the surface of the earth; but it digs deeper, and because of the angle of the blade, it turns the soil over. Now, we've made some experiments, and when manure is also dug into the ripped and open earth, the crop—and the harvest—increase.
>Lagertha: You would leave us this plow?
>Ecbert: Yes — see how you get off.
>>
>>62934035
>>62934493
Ragnar actually did exist though despite what butthurt christian revisionists are saying. Now jesus on the other hand, that's a complete invention.
>>
>>62935914
>You will never look like Travis Fimmel

JDIMSA

>>62936104
Uhm there is evidence that Jesus did exist, Tacitus mentions him for example
>>
File: image.jpg (180 KB, 659x614) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180 KB, 659x614
>>
>>62936104
>Now jesus on the other hand, that's a complete invention.
Where does this come from? The scholarly consensus is that Jesus did exist, but very little is known about his life since aside from Christian sources all we have are Tacitus and Josephus. The only facts generally agreed upon are that he spent several years preaching, was baptised by John the Baptist and was crucified by the Romans.
>>
>>62936378
>>62936104

>forgetting josephus who was literally borin jerusalem

fucking history plebs.
>>
>>62936769
Truly niggers of the north sea.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.