[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Boardwalk Empire so seldom talked about here? Does the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Nucky.png (627 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Nucky.png
627 KB, 1280x720
Why is Boardwalk Empire so seldom talked about here? Does the majority of /tv/ dislike period pieces?
>>
Because it didn't do anything really compelling with the period.
>>
The realest answer you'll find: there weren't enough memes
>>
>>62926100
Boardwalk was real popular here back in the day. /tv/ doesn't dislike period pieces, one of the board's favourite shows is Mad Men. But there's no denying that Boardwalk kind of started to fall apart in the final season. It didn't become a bad show by any means, but it was weighed down by the expectation of what could have been.
>>
>>62926100
It was talked about when it aired. And there's still threads about from time to time. Even fucking Jimmyfags still won't get over Season 2's ending and that was half a decade ago
>>
>>62926510
I felt things were really declining in season 4. The federal case against organize crime was starting to get interesting, but that over-excited fed that Eli ends up killing ruined the whole tone of it. Eli's son never felt important, even with all of his scenes that intended to make him relevant. I didn't like Sally either.

The flash backs with Gillian were good, albeit uncomfortable knowing that it was all going to lead into the unloving hands of the Commodore.
>>
>>62926510
this

there were always BE gamethreads when it was on. The ending was solid, but the series was in decline a bit and it could've been better.
>>
>>62926556
I won't get over Deadwood's ending and that was a decade ago.

>>62926695
See, I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I really enjoyed S4. For some parts, I thought S5 was good. The flashbacks weren't a waste of time, they really added something to the mythology of the show and Nucky's character (even if it takes some headcanon to fix some continuity errors re: Ethan/Commodore's relationship).

Cutting the season to eight episodes, hell even making the fifth season the final one in the first place, was an atrocious decision.

The timejump obviously ruined a lot, such as Rothstein's death and the Castellamarese War. Nucky was left wanting out of the business at the end of S4 (in 1924) but we come back in 1931 to find Nucky in the same meandering position. The show skipped almost double the length of time we'd spent with it and yet barely anything had changed. I was really excited for the Narcisse as an FBI informant storyline, but that got dropped and never mentioned again. The final season was a rushed, making every episode take place immediately after the one before it, which ruined the pace. Yet the seventh episode had a montage at the beginning that covered weeks/months.

An anon and I about a year ago started spitballing some ideas about hypothetical seasons and storylines - we came up with some solid ideas. But HBO ruined the show by cutting funding to focus on GoT, and scheduling it on the same slot as the final season of BrBa. Terence Winter wanted to piss off with Scorsese to make Vinyl, yet didn't trust Howard Korder to continue on with it.
>>
>>62926884
Sorry if that post is a mess, it's hard to mention everything in 2000 characters or less.
>>
>>62926100
>Boardwalk Empire
Last episode was around 2014. The show wasn't that great to begin with to have people here still talk about it in 2015.
>>
>>62926100
2>1>3>4>5
Jimmy dying was the first sign of the show starting to decline. Don't get me wrong I liked the later seasons of BE but once Jimmy got killed off the show seemed to start to decline.
>>
File: Commodore'sSpread.jpg (206 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Commodore'sSpread.jpg
206 KB, 1280x720
>>62926884
>cutting funding to focus on GoT
Is that why S4 and S5 feel so dead? S1-3 felt alive and bustling. The hotel Nucky lived in, and Sally's bar both had windows that lead to nothingness.

What was Nucky's motivation to turn Gillian over to the Commodore? He mentioned to Margaret in one of the last episodes "The first time I got a nickel as a tip I thought the world was a wonderful place, then I wanted a dime, then when I got the dime, I wanted a quarter." That kind of exponential ambition didn't really come through in the flashbacks. He seemed to be content with just Mabel and trying to be "good".
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.