[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Netflix original programming is overwhelmingly mediocre and is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: netflix-logo.png (105 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
netflix-logo.png
105 KB, 1280x720
Netflix original programming is overwhelmingly mediocre and is only popular because the binge watching model encourages mindless consumption. Netflix viewers don't stop to think how utterly insane it is that the Vice President just pushed a girl in front of a train because they're already on to the next episode.

Recipe for a Netflix show to be lauded as great
>a hook to initially attract viewers (famous lead, interesting premise, or big budget etc)
>make the show watchable, not great or even good, but just watchable
>make all the episodes available at once for morons to binge on

Prove me wrong
>>
You're framing good things as bad things so I don't think there's really anything anyone can counter with other than fuck off
>>
I agree. They haven't had a great one yet, there's no "Sopranos" or "Mad Men" to give them an anchor. "Narcos" is the closest they've come, pretty good, but not really anything new or original
>>
Binge watching is great. Netflix shows however, aren't.
>>
>>62920487

House of Cards.

Jessica Jones is shit. She can't act for shiiiit.
>>
>>62920424

Is this a reference to Frank Underwood ?
>>
>>62920424
You're wrong because your entire argument is anecdotal to the fact that House of Cards is a shit show (which it is). You can't just arrogantly assume everything else Netflix makes is shit.
>>
>>62920487
This. Although not all shows are aiming to be.

That said I can't help but feel releasing an episode per day would be a much more interesting model than releasing all at once as it gives you time to absorb the episodes a bit and would actually get people talking about it over a period of time.

The Marvel stuff in particular feels like it would be much better at 6 episodes each instead.
>>
House of Cards and Daredevil are their two most lauded products but I'm not very interested in either of them. I caught a few episodes of HoC and it seemed mediocre, Robin Wright was great though and I'm sure Kevin Spacey has some memeworthy moments that I missed out on but oh well. Daredevil I'll probably try at some point but I think people really overrate the hallway fight which is the only part I've seen, maybe it's unfair to judge though since I didn't see any of the build up.

Netflix was great for finding movies I couldn't get at Blockbuster back in the day but since they switched to separate deals for streaming/dvd and bluray it's just a money sink for me.
>>
>>62920617
Wright and Spacey's performances carry the entire show. It's dumb as shit otherwise. Likewise the physical performances in DD carry it, it could be much more interesting thematically and visually but it isn't.
>>
>>62920596

Sense8 is another example. People go on and on about how you just need to make it through the first 6 episodes or so and then it finally starts to comes together.

A show that was airing weekly would never get that kind of pass. People would (rightly) drop it.
>>
>>62920424
4chan is overwhelmingly mediocre and is only popular because the anonymous imageboard model encourages mindless consumption. 4chan posters don't stop to think how utterly insane it is that the OP is a fag because they're already on to the next thread.
>>
>>62920611
I think there's an argument to be said for both. I personally feel like I can attach better emotionally to the show when it's watched in bulk; Six Feet Under was way more powerful when I rewatched it over the course of a couple of weeks.

The benefit to splitting up comes more with the suspense and social experience. Being able to discuss the episode with people between every week is definitely entertaining and adds to the overall experience. I mean, for those who were around back in the days of LOST, BSG, Fringe, House, etc. those were great times and so many entertaining memes were born due to people waning to do post-mortem threads every week. I mean yeah, you still get those threads today, but the culture is just so different. I dunno man, maybe i'm just an old guy going off on a nostalgic tangent.
>>
>>62920672

Spacey's performance is ridiculously one note and over the top. Seriously, how the hell do people not cringe every time he turns to the camera and delivers one of his ridiculous metaphors. Sounds like some shit straight out of True Detective Season 2.
>>
Still better than everything else outside of HBO.

People bitching about Netflix shows probably haven't even watched cable television in the past few years.
>>
>>62920744
Because everything is else is so boring. A bit of overacting never hurt anybody.
>>
>>62920782

FX is easily better.
>>
>>62920424
>overwhelmingly mediocre

Orange, HOC, wet hot show, Kimmy, Marco, bloodline, and daredevil are all good shows you twat
>>
>>62920424
Subjective. Not poignant.

0/10, apply yourself.
>>
>>62920838
And narky-nark too
>>
>>62920838
Every single one of those shows is garbage. Narcos is the only halfway decent thing they have, and that's being generous. You are proving OP's point purely by existing.
>>
What are some good Amazon shows? I've only seen Mozart in the Jungle
>>
>>62920873
Except I'm not wrong.
>>
>>62920895
High Castle full season is out. The previews for their shows all seem horrible and make me not want to watch.
>>
>>62920895
There aren't many. Transparent is probably their best one.
>>
Netflix original programming is a result of combing through their metadata on user viewing preferences. They know where the viewer pauses, where they rewind, what they watch, what are the patterns of what they watch, and the views of each show.

From that they pasted together House of Cards. Because people like political intrigue, Kevin Spacey, sex, and backstabbing. They were essentially making The Usual Suspects: The Show.

Sure, you can say it is overwhelmingly mediocre, that probably is a legitimate criticism. However, it's engineered to be EXACTLY what the viewer wants.

The issue isn't that it's brainless, the issue is that the viewer is a useless piece of trash who doesn't think about anything that they're watching.
>>
>paying to watch anything that comes out of Hollywood

Good goy
>>
>>62920424
Uhh... Netflix hasn't made a bad series yet, if you don't count their shitty cgi and disney rip off kids shows.

Orange is awesome in s1 and 2. 3 was a weird change of pace but on Rewatch is very well written.

Grace and Frankie is hilarious. AD was good. BoJack is GOAT. Kimmy is funny.

You're just a bitch nigga, is all.
>>
File: bloodline.png (767 KB, 1110x610) Image search: [Google]
bloodline.png
767 KB, 1110x610
>>62920424
>Netflix original programming is overwhelmingly mediocre

your point is invalid
>>
>>62920971
Imagine if netflix made a sequel to The Thick of It.

FUND IT!
>>
>>62921037
One good show doesn't erase the other 20 shitty ones.
>>
File: 1439929443242.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1439929443242.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>62920733
Fully agree.

Nice dubs tbqh
>>
>>62920828
Fucking this

http://www.avclub.com/article/fx-ceo-says-his-shows-are-better-netflix-shows-225724
>>
>>62920424
>>make the show watchable, not great or even good, but just watchable

lightning in a bottle.. and the whole good/great is all subjective with no set standard.

You can't really plan for any of that no mater how much show runners or network heads likes to take credit. Show like Madmen gets held up as great, yet very few people really watched it. Girls is held up as great, everyone here hates it. Big Bang has won a shit ton of awards, tons of viewers etc etc.. So it's a "great" show by network standards, but it's low level shit.

You really think everyone knew, at the start, that Breaking Bad with a cast of some what unknowns anchored by the goofy dad from a sitcom was going to be this huge award winning hit show? Come on.

network people take a dump on a plate, throw it at the tv and hope people gobble it up. Then it's all spin about if the show is a hit or not using whatever numbers work for that narrative.
>>
I don't understand how far apart a person watches episodes has to do with the quality of the show. If I watch one episode a week does that magically make the show better?

I bet you think not having commercials is bad also.
>>
>>62920611
>it gives you time to absorb the episodes a bit and would actually get people talking about it over a period of time.
This. I'm a big fan of Orange is the New Black (judgement on my taste aside) and when they come out with a new season every year I watch the whole thing in a weekend, talk about it with friends and coworkers for a couple days, and then instantly forget about it. When the next season rolls around I have to rewatch previous episodes because I've completely forgotten plot points and even character names.

I mean I get that they're trying to cater to the portion of the culture that says "I WANT IT NOW!!!" But it's ultimately bad because people aren't discussing it for more than a week or so and it severely hurts rewatchability.
>>
>>62921037
When is S2 coming out?

I really, really enjoyed the first season.
>>
>>62920424
That is very much true. I already watched that Jessica Jones bullshit and I probably would have dropped after the second episode if ti was weekly
>>
>>62920424
television is on many fronts, an iterative medium

let them practice, some of it is bound to get better
>>
This probably isn't the best way to judge a drama series, but I've never seen a HoC meme. Not being dank or anything - but the definition of a meme is a shared idea and I think it's quite indicative of the fact that Netflix shows aren't a shared experience like regular shows and I think something is lost because of that.
>>
BCS is literally better than Breaking Bad.
>>
>>62921294
because they don't have to maintain a standard of quality since the writers are aware of the format. You can have a bunch of mediocre episodes and not have to worry about it because people will just keep watching anyway.

Like if you binge watch The Sopranos it's fine because the episodes were still written to work for that week and they stand on their own.
>>
>>62921470

what does this have to do with anything? Neither one is a Netflix show.
>>
>>62921415
IS THAT A PS VITA?
>>
>>62920684
>A show that was airing weekly would never get that kind of pass

>make show specifically for a given distribution platform
>bitch the show would not work on a different platform it was not made for

Wow.. it's like bitching about a widget that is made to plug a certain size hole not working to plug a different hole. As pure shit as I think Sense8 is as far as my taste in a show I get what netflix was going for with it. It's 100% fine that it's not the sort of show you or I might like. Someone out there does and it's a perfect fit for Netflix.

they wanted the big name director and they wanted to try to make something different show wise. The ENTIRE point is that it's a show that would not work on network tv for the most part. One needs to really dig into it and watch a few hours to see if they like the show or not.

Ya know, being that's is exactly what netflix wants and delivers for a monthly fee.
>>
>>62921497
Shit you're right, I didn't realise Netflix simply distributed it abroad.
>>
>>62921037
Should I watch this? I fucking LOVE Kyle Chandler since I watched Friday Night Lights.
>>
>>62920744

>not knowing what a soliloquey is
>opinion invalidated
>fuck off
>>
>>62920424
House of cards is a good show. Season 2 and season 3 are really good.
>>
>>62920424
I'm watching 1 JJ episode a week for 13 weeks. Would rather sip and enjoy than get bored by binging. OP once again has proven to be a faggot.
>>
>>62921662

>calling someone out for not knowing what a soliloquy is
>spells soliloquy wrong
>>
>>62920424
>how utterly insane it is that the Vice President just pushed a girl in front of a train
Who cares? It's fucking fiction only supposed to be entertaining. There's much more ridiculous shit in movies.
>>
>>62920737
>The benefit to splitting up comes more with the suspense and social experience

I think Alias is one of the few shows that really benefited from a break between eps. Being pretty much every other ep ended in a mini cliff hanger. An effect that is gone if the next ep plays right away.

Lost is still one of the best social experience shows I've ever watched. People would jump on the net and try to figure out what was going on. Posting screen shots and so on. It's kind of fun until everyone got pissed off near the end.

That's one of the down sides of netflix original shows. Zero social side to them being everyone as is at a different place in the season when watching them. I kind of wish they would drop 4 ep every Wednesday or Thursday for a month vs all the eps at one time.
>>
>>62920528
How much free time do you have that you blew through Jessica jones in less than 48hours?
>>
>>62921813

being over the top is fine if there is a level of self awareness like say, Scandal. being over the top and then trying to treat your show as a grounded and serious drama is bad writing.
>>
>>62920424
M E D I O C R A
>>
>>62921856
Where do you think we are?
>>
Their anime is pretty good
>>
>>62921575
>Should I watch this?

Bloodlines is a very, very slow burn sort of show. You are just watching a family drama unfold around their black-sheep of a brother coming back home.

It's good, if a person likes that sort of stuff. Other wises it's going to seem like it never goes anywhere. So if you like all those films where person shows up in a town and then it's two hours of character drama, you would love Bloodlines.
>>
I only watch things on netflix. But all the netflix originals are terrible. I've heard house of cards was good but when i tried to watch it i was drunk so i thought it sucked. maybe ill give it another chance when im sober
>>
>>62922481

It's even worse when you're sober and can notice the terrible writing
>>
>>62921819
>everyone as is at a different place in the season when watching them

This is actually a huge issue. Whenever a new show comes out on Netflix, it's really difficult to discuss it at work for the next 2 weeks cause you never know what's safe to spoil, so you have to tiptoe around every discussion point.
>>
>>62920528
>Jessica Jones is shit. She can't act for shiiiit.
Just wrong. Ritter was great in Apartment 23, although she was able to just be completely over the top in that show- Jessica is a much more serious character. I think it's more down to the writers who didn't give the character a lot of development room because she has to be an edgy self-loathing hero
>>
>>62921471
>>62921415

These are both valid points. Kimmy is great but wouldn't work as a weekly, there's not enough to each individual episode. Orange is good but doesn't resonate because it's on, on, on to the next one. People would think about and discuss Sopranos all week long, waiting for Sunday.

Doesn't make Netflix bad though. It's just a different delivery system, therrfore a different approach to the medium
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.