[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I unironically like these movies. Fight me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: The-Hunger-Games.jpg (181 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
The-Hunger-Games.jpg
181 KB, 1920x1080
I know it's par for the course here to be contrarian and hate what the "pleb masses" like, but I enjoyed all of these movies.
>interesting, likable characters (I enjoy Haymitch, Effie, Snow, Finnick, Johanna, Mags, Beetee, Plutarch, Cinna, as well as the main protags)
>cool post-apocalyptic setting that isn't about struggling to live a day in a barren wasteland, but about the society that rose from the ashes
>based villain whom just dominates whatever scene he's in
>arena matches are fun with all the different environments, creatures, traps and shit
>love story isn't your typical cringe-fest that's just hamfisted in there. It's a legitimate struggle for the protagonists, both on a personal level and for the districts
>the "band together in times of strife and rise up against the evil dictator" story is done well
>movies 1 and 2 take time to build up the characters and make you give a shit about them before throwing them into action
>>
Fucking faggot, liking a movie made for teen girls.
>>
What's interesting about the characters

What's cool about the setting and the concept of society rising from the ashes

Why is the villain based

What makes the arenas fun

What makes the love story good besides it not being stereotypical

How is the rise up against the dictator done well
>>
Before that one faggot mentions the name "Battle Royale", that shit goes in the trash with the majority of Asian cinema.
>awkward dialogue
>hideously shot
>no plot. It's just "we put naughty children on an island to fight or something"
>>
>>62905433
Eh, not really. The only way I can see that is "le stronk woman rolemodel". Plenty of guys enjoy this series. Try forming your own opinion on something instead of dismissing it because Chad said it's "girly".
>>62905456
>What's interesting about the characters
Their character arcs, their development, their interactions with each other. I'm not writing a fucking biography on every character.
>What's cool about the setting and the concept of society rising from the ashes
It's interesting to see how human civilization could rebuild after a devastating war? Why is that even a question, anyway?
>Why is the villain based
Evil dictator who looks to maintain his own power, but has the best interest of his people in the capitol in mind. He commands a presence of power and his scenes are interesting
>What makes the arenas fun
Literally explained in the OP. Are you retarded?
>What makes the love story good besides it not being stereotypical
Love triangle that causes a personal complication for the heroes, but also plays a role in keeping the peace
>How is the rise up against the dictator done well
It conveys a lot of moral grey area in showing that the rebels are just as capable of tyranny and terrorism as the dictatorship was. Also the way it builds up throughout the first couple of movies was entertaining to watch in the background while the main characters were being established.
>>
>>62905421
>tfw it's your guilty pleasure
I can't help it
>>
>>62905731
This. I don't even care.

I also want to be spit-roasted between Gale and Finnick
>>
It's shit for teenage girls and poofters. Battle Royale is edgy teen shit too.

Fuck off till you are over 18 OP.
>>
>>62905456
>What's interesting about the characters
actual strong women character that doesn't rely on luck to win the challenges she faces. overwhelmed normal guy thaat discover a new talent, a new life, and seize the opportunity instead of waiting for things to happen to him. ex victor who has been destroyed bu the games and find hope again through Katniss, a metaphor of eveyone in panem. freaky capitol stylist who learn the ways of the other district and become more than a "fangirl", metaphor of every people in the capitol. evil machiavellian monster who is some old creature from the past and who learn that histime has come but stilll want to be the "best villain" so he prevents the rising of another like him.
>What's cool about the setting and the concept of society rising from the ashes
first : nice design, from costumes to architecture, everything has been carefully though of, instead of just "rich are in white plastic tower with lot of glass and poors are in dusty shithole with rust and shit". a post-post apo setting is not NEW, but it's new enough to be a breeze of fresh air. also, the setting is sketchy, so we focus more on the plot instead of going Frodolike "but what if they..."
>Why is the villain based
see characters, also based cast
>What makes the arenas fun
it's a goddamn game, it's been thought like one. so yeah it's fun, it's surprising, it's creative.
>What makes the love story good besides it not being stereotypical
mostly because the character involved are good. it's not forced upon us, yet it's sill open to shipping and hesitation. it still targets teen, remember.
>How is the rise up against the dictator done well
it's realistic, yet driven by a TV star/martyr that is mostly overwhelmed by everything happening, so it fells in the hands of a handfull of old soldiers who wants very different things.

It's not perfect, maybe it's not art (except for the produciton design and costumes), but it's maybe the best sci-fi we had in years.
>>
>cool post-apocalyptic setting that isn't about struggling to live a day in a barren wasteland, but about the society that rose from the ashes
>based villain whom just dominates whatever scene he's in
>arena matches are fun with all the different environments, creatures, traps and shit

I agree with those but the rest I don't.
>>
>>62905421
The characters suck, the cinematography is mediocre, the themes are grade-school level, plus it just doesn't even really make sense. I mean it's basically just like a masturbatory fantasy for teenage girls, like, oh yeah you're so fucking awesome because you're just some average girl but actually you're an amazing hero who defeats everyone in the games and has a super-sexy boyfriend and totally unravels and destroys a massive evil empire. It's retarded.

Like, what's memorable or even interesting about any character's personality? I can't answer this question with even one example. The cinematography it goes without saying is mediocre, I mean just look at it. As for the themes, they're basically just like, the capitalists are evil, and there's like reality TV, and people die. Fuck it. Like you have 1984 which is this great dystopian novel, and then you have The Giver, which is like 1984 but shittier, and then you have The Hunger Games, which is like The Giver but shittier. As far as dystopian stories, it's the bottom of the barrel. And you know how the fuck is it that like one person, like first of all how does some random untrained person win? Second, like, why is it considered like such a shock that someone might offer themselves up as tribute? I mean, that's just a scenario concocted to bring about an emotion, and it doesn't even make sense. As an aside what is with that whistling shit? Anyway, third, there's no way that like one teenage bitch could just up and create liberty and justice for all because she's the awesomest when she's faced with this brutal, experienced regime. You don't think they know how to hold onto power, especially when faced with such a puny threat? Don't you see that it's just a masturbatory fantasy for young girls?

Oh and the acting sucks too. Like oh yeah, Jennifer Lawrence is some great actor. She's a real James Cagney. Gimme a break.
>>
>>62906848
>The characters suck blablabla...
hum...
>Like, what's memorable or even interesting about any character's personality? I can't answer this question with even one example. The cinematography it goes without saying is mediocre, I mean just look at it.
yep, it's bait
>>
>>62906959
That's precisely why the characters suck you fool. Because they're not memorable or interesting, because I can't think of any examples of particularly memorable or interesting character traits that any character holds. If you hold a contradictory opinion, you're free to provide examples to explain why you think that Catniss is a deep, complex and original character. I didn't provide any examples about the cinematography because 1. it's a minor point anyway 2. it's difficult to discuss without going and finding pictures on the internet and 3. I thought it was actually a pretty uncontroversial point. Do you contest it? Because I think that anyone would have a pretty tough time making that argument. I'm not saying that the cinematography is terrible, it's just unexceptional. And, you know, I said other things besides that in my post. Why would you make a thread titled "I unironically like these movies. Fight me" if, when presented with a fight, you just dismiss it in two words, "it's bait".
>>
>>62907182
i'm not OP, i'm >>62906725

you just seem lazy dude. Do you even analyze ?

What's memorable about Katniss, for a quick example : her family structure is what defines both her relationships with other people and her status as the Mockingjay. She does not lack a father figure, but a father presence, thus her relationship with both goys and Haymitch. Her mother is nothing but a MOTHER so she need some drasticly different role model to go through womanhood, like Effie, Coin or even Cinna. The relationship with her sister is central and is, at the beginning, the only thing that keep her going. She does not regret volunteering, but still doesn't want to be here and that's what make her a true martyr for the later cause.
>>
>>62907331
Uh, what? So ok, "ze fazah and ze mozah" are the reason for some "relationships" which are vaguely alluded to. And then like, ok, "The relationship with her sister is central and is, at the beginning, the only thing that keep her going." Sorry but "she really likes her sister" is a pretty fucking poor explanation of why she has a deep, complex personality. I can say that in Twilight, Bella Swan's relationship to Edward is "central" and "keeps her going". What does that even mean anyway, "keeps her going"? "She does not regret volunteering, but still doesn't want to be here and that's what make her a true martyr for the later cause." Oh well she doesn't want to be there, well that's a surprise. I can really tell they put a lot of thought into writing her character. Gee, the character that is at risk for dying does not want to be in that situation! Sorry, but your "analysis" is a fucking terrible argument. Simply reacting to different situations, or having vague "relationships" which may or may not have anything to their fuckin family does not make a character three dimensional, deep, complex, or original.
>>
>>62907653
> implying character have to be three dimensional, deep, complex, or original, to be interesting.
Could you provide me with example of your expectations instead of just saying "nuh-uh" ? Also, do you prefer french cinéma ?
>>
>>62907779
Sure, I pretty much agree with http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=userpage&do=blog&uid=251338&blogid=50250 as far as analysis of the dimensions of characters. As for a good example of a well-written character, I would point to the main character of my favorite book, Holden Caulfield. He has a very unique voice, he has a ton of insights on a wide variety of topics and experiences which he draws upon and references, etc. He is the perfect example of a deep, complex, original character. As for french cinema, I don't really have much experience with it. Why do you ask?
>>
>>62907977
you can't compare a book character to a movie character,even adapted from a book. It's not the same narrative scale. Also Katniss is a character that changes a lot during the story, ending a crying mess with very fine strings to hold her up.
>>
>>62905421
I never understood the purpose of the games.
Most dictatorships don't try to make the whole oppression thing overt. Typically it's better to really oppress one minority, so that the majority gangs up on them to forget their own oppression.
Forcing every district to send their kids to a death games just seems like unnecessary and arbitrary murder.
>>
>>62908332
that's the point. Snow does it just because he can. It's a "muh superiority" kind of thing.
>>
>>62908366
>Snow just does it because he can
That makes this movies so much more entertaining
Imagine /tv/ watching the hunger games happening live as they happen.

>KILL RUE THE POO
>KATNISS KANTMISS
>>
>>62906393
>stop liking what i dont like
>>
>>62908302
Why not? The Catcher in the Rye on audiobook is only seven hours long. The combined length of the Hunger Games films is over nine hours, and they have the added advantage of being able to use visuals to convey character. And so she changes, who cares?

But even for film standards, it falls short. Take for instance My Neighbor Totoro. The characters in that movie are bursting with humanity.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.