[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any suggestions on more like this? Modern movies ('90 or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: tinker_tailor.jpg (286 KB, 1412x950) Image search: [Google]
tinker_tailor.jpg
286 KB, 1412x950
Any suggestions on more like this? Modern movies ('90 or newer) about cold war espionage, counter terrorism, etc.

Seen this, Munich, Argo... Been on a kick lately.
>>
Good Shepard, Syriana
>>
this is one of those you have to see twice to really get. Unless you read the book beforehand
>>
>>62898633
Seconding Good Shepherd.
>>
>>62898617
>A Most Wanted Man
>>
>>62898617
The Conversation might be your thing but it's more about paranoia within intel guys.
>>
also recommending good shepherd
spy game
>>
>>62898617

You should check out the series Deutschland 83

The American, film

I didnt really enjoy A Most Wanted Man as suggested above
>>
File: waltz1.jpg (61 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
waltz1.jpg
61 KB, 600x400
Kinda sorta related, happened during the latter era of the cold war.

Waltz with Bashir

Documentary-sort-of, but animated. About the Sabra and Shatila massacre.
>>
>>62898644
i had a feeling about that

i watched and had a strange feeling where i knew i should have loved it but it didn't quite click with me
>>
>>62898713
there are a little too many characters and plot points for that runtime. It really shows it's a book adaptation
>>
man Munich was fucking awesome. I know it's a hipster choice but it's probably my favorite Spielberg
>>
Why 90 or newer? The vast portion of the Cold War took place before 1990.
>>
>>62898779
you should try harder next time.
>>
>>62898779
I want movies made in retrospect.

Although Dr. Strangelove is one of my favourite movies of all time.

What do you have to suggest?
>>
>>62898617
Ronin.

sorta.
>>
>>62898843
Seen Ronin. I'm a carfag and I own an E34 540i so it's required viewing due to the M5 in the big final chase.
>>
The Americans, an FX tv show, is pretty fun.
>>
>>62898835
Watch The Americans - it's one of the best shows on tv.
>>
Not modern but this was good
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spy_Who_Came_in_from_the_Cold_(film)
>>
>>62898617
bridge of spies was really good
>>
>>62898644
>>62898713
watched it once, hated it because i thought nothing made sense

yet it lingered in my mind and i tried it again a year later. now it's one of my favorite films
>>
>>62898694
seconding spy game

it's not quite tinker tailor tier, but you've got robert redford in there with a great performance, which counts for a lot, and brad pitt when he was still trying hard
>>
this is a good thread
>>
Breach I liked, not sure if it's for anyone but plebs though.
>>
Good sheperd+syriana = win
>>
>>62898617
Breach is really good, all set in americlap but with cold war undertones, mmodern with ryan phillipe
>>
>>62899517
was just visiting my father and we both saw it. it's a movie i figured he'd like. i ended up really enjoying it. great screenplay by the coen bros. the russian spy is fucking amazing, surprised i hadn't seen him in anything. highly rec'd OP
>>
Body of lies is lesser known with mediocre reviews, but fuck you I liked it.

It's directed by Riddley Scott
>>
File: getimage197-666x1024[1].jpg (126 KB, 666x1024) Image search: [Google]
getimage197-666x1024[1].jpg
126 KB, 666x1024
>>
>>62902335
Great movie, watched for my German class and loved it. Highly suggest to all!
>>
>>62898617
watch day of the jackal. it holds up real well imo
>>
>>62898617
the american movie version of state of play was halfway decent
>>
Track down and watch the one season show Rubicon.
>>
>>62899517
>>62902065
this
best spielberg in a decade
>>
>>62902782
i'm glad some other anons agree. i should also probably say that the trailer made me groan a bit from how bland and spielbergian it looked (in a bad way)

even if it looks kinda lame, i recommend giving it a chance.
>>
>>62902782
Shit, is Munich that old? I wish he'd make another big summer blockbuster again. The closest thing we've had is War of the Worlds and that was pretty good, but tonally much bleaker than I want a tent pole summer bonanza.
>>
http://www.imdb.com/search/keyword?keywords=espionage&sort=user_rating,desc&mode=detail&page=1&title_type=movie&ref_=kw_ref_typ
>>
>>62899357

are you fucking serious?

the americans is about as far away from tinker tailor soldier spy as you could suggest

are you retarded?
>>
>>62899517
>>62902782
no it was awful. Spielberg phoned it in and the whole movie is held up by Tom Hanks played by Tom Hanks

In fact he's so good, you feel exactly what he felt - halfway through you thought it was over and you're just surprised that there's another near-disconnected story for everyone to go through, and the whole time we all just want to get it over with.
>>
>>62903027
yeah, i'm sure there's no difference between asking /tv/ and just trusting imdb voters who's taste is not at all shit.
>>
>>62903060
completely disagree. the film was thematically solid and relied on tried and true classic filmmaking style to portray the emotional stress that Hanks had to endure. Not to mention his "good guy" shtick is relevant this time and not just a lazy plot devide to get you to side with him
>>62903081
or you could take a peek and see whats interesting and think for yourself
>>
>>62899498
also based on Le Carre
>>
>>62898617
A Bridge of Spies was ok.
>>
>>62898644
I saw this once and understood everything. Same with Primer. And Cloud Atlas. If you need to watch films more than once to understand them ...
>>
>>62903094
>thematically solid and relied on tried and true classic filmmaking style to portray the emotional stress that Hanks had to endure
You mean spielbergian manipulation and a disjointed and uninteresting plot with ZERO emotional impact?
>>
>>62903139
well for this film it has more to do with needing to really hear every single piece of dialogue. It should actually be watched with subtitles I think
>>
>>62903139

Wow you're so impressive. Please tell us more about the amazing things you've accomplished.
>>
>>62903154
>spielbergian manipulation
if thats what you call effective directing
>disjointed and uninteresting plot
what is history? what is an ever progressing moral weight that builds up to the point where the fate of nations rests upon the shoulders of an every man? what is a representation of core American values that hasnt been seen in film in decades?
>zero emotuonal impact
if youre both hearless and stupid, sure
>>
>>62903195
So you don't even understand the manipulation, much less notice it?
And because something is historically true doesn't mean it's automatically interesting. Even if it WAS an interesting true story, that doesn't mean that the FILM will have an interesting story. There's more to storytelling than just stating things that happened
>what is an ever progressing moral weight that builds up to the point where the fate of nations rests upon the shoulders of an every man? what is a representation of core American values that hasnt been seen in film in decades?
oh I've been tricked
good one
>>
>>62903174
I made you reply.
>>
>>62903174
I would, but I don't think you could appreciate them. In online poker, there are different levels of players. Level 1s cannot understand how level 3 players operate, etc. I'm level 5.
>>
Deutschland 83 is legit, not a movie though.
>>
>>62898712
Fucking masterpeice.
>>
>>62903174

i bond burgered your mom lol
>>
>>62899541
same tbqfhwyf (to be quite frankly honest with you, family)
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.