[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the most insufferable, smug, morally preachy film you've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9
File: kpax.jpg (75 KB, 509x755) Image search: [Google]
kpax.jpg
75 KB, 509x755
What is the most insufferable, smug, morally preachy film you've ever seen /tv/?
>>
>>62895801
def not kpax
>>
File: 1998-poster-bulworth-1.jpg (305 KB, 1010x1500) Image search: [Google]
1998-poster-bulworth-1.jpg
305 KB, 1010x1500
>>
>>62895801
What was morally preachy about it?
>>
>>62895841
>Let me tell you something, Mark. You humans, most of you, subscribe to this policy of an eye for an eye, a life for a life, which is known throughout the universe for its... stupidity. Even your Buddha and your Christ had quite a different vision, but nobody's paid much attention to them, not even the Buddhists or the Christians. You humans. Sometimes its hard to imagine how you've made it this far.
>>
you first
>>
File: fuckthisshit.jpg (51 KB, 345x500) Image search: [Google]
fuckthisshit.jpg
51 KB, 345x500
>>
>>62896325
I'm guessing aliens are keks.
>>
>>62896325
>Aliens are a hippie hivemind and have no crime, judicial punishment, death penalty, ect

Worst cliche than aliens go world by world conquering shit for resources when there are plenty of untapped resources floating around without life on them
>>
>>62896325
>be a good person
How insufferably preachy
>>
File: le sjw face.jpg (102 KB, 1024x955) Image search: [Google]
le sjw face.jpg
102 KB, 1024x955
>>62897497
>being a good person means being a pathetic kekold who doesn't even have the dignity to try and punish people who wrong you
>>
>>62895823
Literally this. Really telling how Hollywood was preaching the destruction of the white race as early as 1998.
>>
>>62897667
>>>/pol/
>>>/m/
>>
>>62895801
I didn't see any of that in kpax
>>
>>62896443
Came here to post this
>>
File: buddha-225x300.jpg (14 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
buddha-225x300.jpg
14 KB, 225x300
>>62897623
You've got too much attachment and desire, my brother. Learn to let go. Realize the true nature of your suffering.
>>
>>62896443
This
>>
File: 1447294482578.png (273 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1447294482578.png
273 KB, 450x450
>>62897623
>dignity
>>
>>62897623
Fuck off Kenshiro you were just as bad if not worse than the bandits you kept exploding with your fingertips.
>>
>>62895801
kpax was a chill movie
my cousin like twice removed wrote it
i thought the whole he killed his kid or something subplot was dumb and mundane human drama in a film which shoud have been beyond it, but i enjoyed the ending and the acting
>>
>>62896634
Getting rid of the death penalty isn't that crazy. There are already some countries that don't have it. He probably just meant that his planet had much less crime and a prison system more focused on the rehabilitation and safety of the prisoners.
>>
>>62898061
>rehabilitation
This is retarded though. Yes, some percentage of people can be reworked into productive members of society, but you can't fucking rehabilitate psychopaths or sociopaths. The primary function of prisons should always be keeping violent rapists and murderers away from everyone else who isn't a rapist and a murderer.
>>
>>62898153
yeah, theres always a few that are incurably evil. but on an alien planet, who knows? maybe they just put some chip in their brain that makes them chill and friendly all the time. keeping the baddies away from us normies still doesn't count as punishment, though. the main point k-pax was making was that his people didn't believe in vengeance and punishment.
>>
>>62898061
since you are here watch life of david gale with spacey
>>
Detachment with adrian brody
>>
>>62898258
The point of punishment is not 'revenge' against the criminals who do wrong, it's to prevent more pliable people who toy with the idea of doing wrong from actually doing it. it's a promise of a blind system that will ensure justice happens outside of any one man's control.

Honestly, priding yourself in not punishing murderers is nothing to brag about. It's actually rather perverse.
>>
>>62898299
Fuck off. That movie was fantastic.
>>
>>62898340
there's a middle ground to this sort of thing. you're not going to try to rehabilitate a murderer in a week. obviously it takes more time to rehabilitate a sick mind, depending on how sick that mind is.

you wouldn't want to live in a budget priced drug rehab center for 6 months, would you? but some people do. its not as bad as jail or prison, but it's really not fun. do you see my point? taking away a persons privileges to have sex, use the internet, tv, cell phone, computer, see their family, contact the outside world; this is enough motivation for people to not want to go to drug rehab. think of it like behavior rehab. the sentences could be the same.

hell, even if you were banished to live on a small island in the pacific with only bronze age technology with other male prisoners, you would not want to commit the type of crimes that would have that banishment. there's no need to actively punish people as we currently do in america.

depends what you think of as punishment, though. what is punishment vs taking away privileges? i could argue that when i went to jail, i was never punished at all, i just had many privileges taken away from me, and was segregated from civilized society. if you are arguing in favor of death penalty or actively causing physical pain to prisoners, then i can't really relate to your position.
>>
Pay It Forward. Doubles as perhaps the worst movie I've seen too
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 450x670) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 450x670
Holy shit Ed Norton literally looks at the camera and delivers a 5 minute ironic speech about racism

spike lee is a hack
>>
>>62900064
i found it quite adorable to be honest, a bit of a jewish meme but cute nonetheless
>>
>>62897667
it's weird because in some senses it's entirely hollywood but at the same time they didn't really want to release it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulworth#Production
>>
>>62900141
even edward nortons character didnt believe half the shit he was saying. he talks shit about every ehnicity, even other white people. the only people he doesnt look down on are northwestern europeans. even hitler had an alliance with the italians and japanese. Ed's character was being racist to an absurd level to show his emotional breakdown and hypocrisy.
>>
>>62896443
I don't think so, I think Crash was more about the shit we overlook in racism. It sold itself as a movie talking about the underlying and less obvious causes of racism, and it set out to exemplify them. Hell, the white dude who shot the brotha at the end was like /pol/ incarnate, nicest and most tolerant motherfucker ever but having to put up with so much bullshit from his intercultural interactions, eventually he ended up shooting the one negro who just wanted to be cool. It could have been a whole hell of a lot worse.

I'm putting my vote up for Gran Turino. Ugly mix of "not all minorities are bad so you should learn to love your brother" and "whites are the savior of every other race." Hmongs would be doing fine if they didn't have to deal with diaspora their entire history, and now that they live in Minnesota they hardly cause any trouble. They don't need a washed-up white guy to show them how to live.
>>
>>62896325
.y-y-you too
>>
>>62900394
>whites are the savior of every other race
In fairness, how much good whites have contributed to the world has been massively downplayed and expunged from general knowledge in western society. For fuck's sake, the British, who did more to abolish slavery worldwide than any other nation on Earth, ever, at any point in history, are the favorite whipping boy of the left when India or Africa fail at economics. Everyone knows 'white man's burden' even though no one knows it was actually a liberal, progressive ideology in its day.
>>
File: 1431643052590.jpg (45 KB, 336x346) Image search: [Google]
1431643052590.jpg
45 KB, 336x346
>>62896443
>>
>>62897623
>vindication implying dignity
stop
>>
>>62900394
>whites are the savior of every other race.
This is true though. Even though the whitey is definitely the most bloodthirsty, every other race sucks balls at civilization.
>>
>>62900895
All the good stuff doesn't expunge the savage/fucked up shit. However I agree how things are one sided.
>>
>>62896325
Didn't he fucking break a dude's neck with his bare hands?
>>
But he wasn't even a real alien he was a crazy guy
>>
Fuck off OP

K-Pax is great. Novels are awesome too.
>>
>>62900141
>misunderstanding that scene
Oh /tv/, never change
>>
>>62898030
>the whole he killed his kid or something subplot

It wasn't a subplot. it's supposed to keep you guessing. Was he actually an aYY or not? In the story, both explanations are plausible.
>>
>>62901881
the medical tests they run on him have anomalies. he also promises to take someone with him, and one of the crazies does disappear when he leaves. so it's pretty heavily implied that he is an alien and was saying the truth.
>>
>>62896443
>strongest american film since Mystic River
lol didn't Mystic River come out like a year before?
>>
>>62895801
Has Kevin Spacey ever been not old? K-pax released 14 years ago and he looks almost exactly like he does now.
>>
>>62896443

>tfw, my 25 year old high school teacher made us watch crash, and my teachers nipples were hard when that cop fingered that chick. Hiding Boner under books fer days.
>>
File: 1400999111410.png (142 KB, 359x363) Image search: [Google]
1400999111410.png
142 KB, 359x363
>>62901227
>tfw we didnt actually end slavery
>it just evolved into wage-slavery
>people who live in society will never truely be free even though robots can do 1/2 of jobs from taking food orders to blue collar jobs
This sucks.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.