[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /tv/ hate Fight Club again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 16
File: b5-fightclub.jpg (40 KB, 317x450) Image search: [Google]
b5-fightclub.jpg
40 KB, 317x450
Why does /tv/ hate Fight Club again?
>>
Brad Pitt
>>
We don't
>>
It's the ultimate reddit movie.
>>
We dont
>>
>>62895291
it glamorizes a top down hierarchy organization while it demonizes all others, kinda like the fucking mafia does.

It's solutions to vague problems of not feeling masculine anymore because rules exist are stupid and insane.

That's actually the point of the film, that yes the world is not ideal but trying to start a movement to reverse history or radicalize the malcontents is even worse of an idea than simply paying your taxes and shutting your mouth.

So I guess I'm fine with the film, but like a lot of media that gets big, the uber fans don't get the purpose of the film and are themselves radicalized idiots.
>>
Because it's a flick.
>>
>>62895291
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfipIzr4JXE
>>
Whole premise of the movie is stupid. Men all across the country WANT to be beat up? If this shit were to happen IRL they would end after the first meeting and people would be dead or have serious injuries. Getting into serious fights is no joke. You can get brain damage or worse from one bad punch.
>>
>>62895508

You do realise that lots of underground Fight Clubs started because of this film right?
>>
File: 1437695288200.jpg (6 KB, 250x244) Image search: [Google]
1437695288200.jpg
6 KB, 250x244
>>62895508
>Whole premise of the movie is stupid. Men all across the country WANT to be beat up?

Missing the point this hard.
>>
If you know anything about the movie industry you can instantly see what Fight Club is

They clearly optioned this big ambitious script that is trying to do the "semi-fantasy-esque over-the-top criminal underworld" theme (similar to Payback), with some action thrown in, and the movie was clearly supposed to establish the setting for a franchise and trilogy, BUT, for whatever weird reason, someone got cold feet along the way and told them to trim it back to a standalone single feature.

You can just smell that it was originally meant to be like 3 hours long and much deeper lore-wise. You can smell the characters that were hastily miscast and smushed to fit into the edited script, so that they seem bizarrely out of place and overexaggerated for how little screen time and relevance they get. You can tell that the budget was gutted.

Some financial decision was made by the higher-ups that the original gamble was no longer worth it, but that they could still have their shot at making it a franchise if they somehow managed to take the hugely reduced scope and budget of the project and create something great. And they didn't.

Watching Fight Club is like watching 1/4th of something ambitious that a lot of people resignedly stretched and flayed to cover the space left by the absence of the other 3/4ths. It reminds me of Lucky Number Slevin, where they optioned a script and then forgot to apply enough funding and care to actually turn it into a movie, so it's bizarrely uncanny to moviegoers, like watching an inexplicably high production quality stageplay of some guy's shitty fanfiction with a dumb name.
>>
>>62895291
The fans.

/tv/ hates Fight Club because /tv/ is anonymous and the only information being presented is that they enjoy Fight Club. The movie's fan base is so bad that if they let themselves be objectified on exclusively these grounds they're instantly being identified with the fedorable atheist who strokes himself off to this movie every night.

>>62895400
>my interpretation is THE interpretation
>implying media isn't inherently subjective

It's a 21st century critique of nihilism as ideology

It's one man's take on neo-masculinity in an increasingly neutered world

It's a mindless action movie where Brad Pitt gets shirtless and ebin tweests abound

It's not exclusively some pigeon-holed satire about socio-political structures of power
>>
>>62895905
You realize it's a Chuck Palahniuk novel first and foremost right?

That they pretty much only had enough material for a single movie?
>>
Cheap, childish, banked too heavily on a twist, fills the rest of the space with Palahniuk's pop-philosophizing.

I've always loved the core concept of the fight club itself though. You could say Fincher was the perfect man for the job adapting Palahniuk's book, but ironically this is a case where the movie would have benefited from a less faithful adaptation.

Cronenberg springs to mind as someone who might have been able to elevate Palahniuks' ideas to something beyond self assured teen angst.
>>
File: 1410230867284.png (104 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1410230867284.png
104 KB, 320x287
>>62895905
That was the dumbest, most ill-informed post I've read on this board.
>>
File: 3XlUbIW.jpg (84 KB, 1440x956) Image search: [Google]
3XlUbIW.jpg
84 KB, 1440x956
>>62896089
>>62896517
>>
It's popular
>>
File: 1447255736346.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1447255736346.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>62896552
>come up with idiotic post
>get told
>respond with reddit
>>62896089 is absolutely right. Apart from maybe three chapters and a couple of details, Fight Club (the movie) is a straight adaptation of the novel.
>>
>>62895400

in your opinion

chuck said himself the book is about a man who felt emasculated and wanted to find a reason to spend time with other men (no homo)

you can replace the fighting with bowling, fighting just made for a more interesting plot
>>
File: chuckPalahniuk2.jpg (21 KB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
chuckPalahniuk2.jpg
21 KB, 275x275
>>62896674
>(no homo)
Chuck is gay as fuck
this book was literally his homoerotic self insert story with the chapters of tyler durden fucking the protagonist in the ass axe'd out

look at this mug
>>
>>62895291
Edgy, thinks its smarter than it is, annoying and gay
>>
>>62896674
>>62895291
Just a reminder the author is openly gay
>>
>>62896739
At least he's honest about it. Unlike you.
>>
>homophobemind
>>
>>62895291
Gay 90's version of American Psycho
>>
I always chuckle at the critics who state that the movie presents Project Mayhem and Fight Club as a solution to feeling alienated from society. The narrator openly opposes against those ideas at the end and Tyler's followers are being depicted as complete idiots.

People only talk shit about Fight Club because they either didn't get it, they want to avoid getting mistaken for a fedoralord or because certain ideas attack their way of life. It's just another layer of meta in the post-modern era.
>>
>>62895787
>you do realize that this meme started a lot of meme clubs visited by normie scum bashing in their heads because they couldn't understand the memeing of the meme
I fix'd that for you reddit, get your TIL posts back there where they belong
>>
File: 1408956390291.jpg (38 KB, 297x288) Image search: [Google]
1408956390291.jpg
38 KB, 297x288
>>62896905
>>
>>62897045
You seem awfully obsessed with gays. Come out of the closet, anon.
>>
File: faggot.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>>62897082
>I enjoy fight club
>>
File: 1447974008351.jpg (12 KB, 203x200) Image search: [Google]
1447974008351.jpg
12 KB, 203x200
>>62897109
>I'm patrician because I bash a popular movie
>>
>>62896905
Not true at all. A twisted presentation is not depth. Of course it is critical of Project Mayhem and of course people don't get that - but it's still not good.

Project Mayhem is not a profound or persuasive concept to begin with, so when the film takes a critical view of it its doing absolutely nothing daring, slaying a sacred cow it invented.

A very cheap Haneke-esque manipulation.

I also believe people give Fincher/Palahnuik too much credit following the whole critical of Durden and critical of audience idea. Saying things like "Look how Tyler is meant to be a counterculture hero and yet everything that makes him 'cool' is drawn from a popular idea of what a rebel looks like." It's possible, but I sort of doubt that much thought was put into it.
>>
File: edge.png (538 KB, 500x660) Image search: [Google]
edge.png
538 KB, 500x660
>>62897142
>I defend overrated popular movies on a vietnamese cartoon site
>>
Seriously though, I like David Fincher alot. Zodiac and Seven are great films. But Fight club is edgy teenager meme bullshit
>>
File: 1447987669862.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447987669862.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
>>62897211
>I'm obsessed with my public image on a Taiwanese cave drawing board
>>
>>62897274
of course some faggot would make a clockwork pepe
>>
File: 1447888000969.jpg (22 KB, 324x299) Image search: [Google]
1447888000969.jpg
22 KB, 324x299
>>62897250
>Fight Club is edgy
>Seven and Zodiac somehow are not
>>
>>62897274
>>62897286
Clockwork orange is very similar to fight club. They are both loved by teens and are very overrated
>>
File: 1447416278644.png (207 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
1447416278644.png
207 KB, 500x369
>>62897274
>>
>>62897274
>>62897323
Man I wonder how I would feel about ACO if I watched it again today. Rewatched Fight Club recently and I thought it was nice movie but not at all as amazing as I thought it was as a teenager. Kubrick is a few leagues ahead of Fincher though so maybe it wont be the same.
>>
>>62897274

I just met Malcom Mcdowell last week.
>>
File: gay.jpg (56 KB, 754x396) Image search: [Google]
gay.jpg
56 KB, 754x396
>>62897274
>>
>>62897378
Don't bother, it's pure cringe. Qoob is probably better than Fincher on average, but not with Clockwork Orange which is pure edge.
>>
>>62897169
Depth or not, that wasn't the point. The point was that many viewers simply misunderstood both movie and novel. One end of the spectrum glamorized Tyler as a rebel against social norms while the other end thought the movie was juvenile for uncritically presenting men beating each other unconscious as a solution to the increasing alienation people feel in today's society.

Regarding Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk said that nihilism is okay if you're young, but ultimately it's a dead end street. It only makes sense that the novel reflected that to some degree.
>>
>>62897300
Zodiac imo is Fincher's only good movie
I don't see how it's edgy. Seven is for sure, but Zodiac is a real story being explored and not in a darkly stylized way.

In fact, Zodiac is one of Fincher's most upbeat movies exception of the murder scenes. Of course there's a very grim core, but mostly it treats the killer like any other newsworthy phenomenon, like sports even. Everyone's following the stats and got their own predictions. It's a rollicking story of fascination by people who feel entirely detached from the murders yet revel in the danger at large, almost like the Cold War fetishism by people who felt liberated in the instant death looming over every day

It draws from classics All The President's Men and The Naked City and adapt's Graysmith's ZODIAC into a narrative story punctured by explorations of media and celebrity culture in relation to murders. It explores (primarily Graysmith's) differetn theories, and while specifies Lee Allen as Graysmith's peg for the killer, it ultimately leaves the viewer wondering. A pretty damn near perfect True Crime film if you ask me.

shit sorry whyd i type that out kek
>>
>>62897482
>implying being fascinated by murder isn't edgy
I'm not even disagreeing with you, I thought it was a great movie and possibly Fincher's most accessible movie to date. There's little pretense, no fancy camera wankery, no symbolism - just a straight up "whodunit".

I just wanted to illustrate that "edgy" has become a buzzword and as a result is meaningless as criticism.
>>
>>62897577
>most accessible
Most people think the movie is boring as fuck. I'd say it's one of his least accessible films.
>>
>>62897613
>Most people
Who are you referring to here? I thought Zodiac is pretty much essential /tv/-core at this point.
>>
>>62897658
most people means normies
>>
>>62897658
I'm referring to most people. It's rated like 2 stars (out of 5) on Netflix.
>>
>>62897577
>implying being fascinated by murder isn't edgy
So do you consider war movies edgy? Generally edgy has to do with the tone of diction, a manner of viewing or commenting. Zodiac is a pretty straight played journalistic account of real phenomenon. People WERE fascinated by the Zodiac in a very removed way. That's not "edgy"
>I'm not even disagreeing with you, I thought it was a great movie and possibly Fincher's most accessible movie to date.
I don't think any of Fincher's movies are remotely inaccessible so that's a pretty retarded statement imo
>>
>>62897740
>Netflix
It has a 4/5 on Amazon Video and a 7,7/10 on IMDB.
>>
>>62896674
>chuck said himself the book is about a man who felt emasculated and wanted to find a reason to spend time with other men (no homo)
Chuck didn't said that. I have my copy of Fight Club and he says how from all the interpretations nobody came to him to tell him, it was a romantic story like he meant. He even compares it to the great gatsby
>>
It's an analysis into the stupidity of that branch of nihilism in the original book, but in the movie, they succeed - and nobody learns anything, because the Edward Norton literally gets everything he wants, both subtly and overtly.
>>
>>62897786
>So do you consider war movies edgy?
I was playing devil's advocate, bro.
>That's not "edgy"
>I don't think any of Fincher's movies are remotely inaccessible so that's a pretty retarded statement imo
That's what you say. I have normie friends who are put off by any kind of violence and consider almost anything graphic "edgy", which is my point: It's a vague and hollow term that is being used by very different people meaning very different things, usually constructed to dismiss a work without further reasoning. It's lazy critique and the unironic use of the term strongly suggests you're an idiot if you actually do this.
>>
>>62895291
Because /tv/ is the most contrarian forum on the internet
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.