[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I talked with my roommate who is a Physics major and he said
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 13
File: 1419568589307.webm (1 MB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
1419568589307.webm
1 MB, 1280x536
I talked with my roommate who is a Physics major and he said it would be possible for Legolas to do this in real life.
>>
Your friend is a fucking moron then.
>>
How bad is your Physics major friend failing his classes?
>>
legolas is an elf
>>
would it be possible to upload a webm with more than 20p?
>>
It's technically possible I think? Like by the math.

But there's no fucking way he'd have the coordination and speed to pull if off. Like they show the scene in slow motion because that's the kind of perception he'd need to have in real time to pull it off.

And if that were the case, then like, 1 elf could solo an army, and as a race they would be unstoppable.
>>
then i am sure his opinion is of more value than the ones that will most certainly be posted itt
>>
Ask /sci/ most of the people here will say something retarded
>>
>>62891737
The webm clearly says it's 1280x536 pixels Anon, I know you were trying to be funny but you just came across as a fucking retard.
>>
>>62891694
when i took physics they skipped over the specifics of elves
i wonder why
>>
>>62891749
>It's technically possible I think? Like by the math.
No
>>
Reminder that elves are so light on their feet that they don't even sink into fresh snow. The OP scene makes sense in the context of elves being magically light on their feet
>>
not to defend hackson but the point of the scene is that elves are supernaturally light footed, they can always sneak up on you, theres a scene in the original trilogy where he literally walks on snow without leaving any footprints
>>
i don't think it is. there's no "lag" with the rocks like like it seems in this webm. the rocks would give in just as fast as his legs pushed down. so there won't be any force from the rocks?

i dunno
>>
>>62891785
see
>>62891786
>>
>>62891772
>ask /sci/
>becasue they're not retarded about science
no
rule #1 of 4chan is that the worst board for any topic is the board for that topic. television and film discussions for example is much better on any other board than /tv/.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 677x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 677x380
>>62891694

>Movie features wizards, elves, frog men, goblins, dwarves, magic, evil mind-controlling rings, ghost armies, and a big fuckoff fire breathing lizard
>Autists whine about one scene not following real life laws of physics
>Completely ignore that in real life a creature the size of Smaug would barely be able to move under it's own weight, let alone achieve flight

Why don't we drown these people as infants?
>>
>he said it would be possible for Legolas to do this in real life.
well, he is right. if legolas was in real life, he would be able to do this becasue of spooky elven light-footed magic.
>>
>>62891786

so how come whenever they jump they dont float into fucking space? if he is so light, how come wind doesnt blow him away? what is friction? How come heavy rocks linger around for him to jump up instead of falling right down while legolas just kinda lingers in the air?
>>
>>62891927
ancient 2spooky elven magic. he also fucks around with arrows.
>>
>>62891694
Honest to goodness, this shot could have been cool if it didn't go on for so long. That extra two seconds and the cut to the front shot of Legolas just kills it. If they just kept it the side shot and it was like 1-2-3 NECKJUMP it actually would have been cool.

Am I retarded?
>>
>>62891927
He still has weight, he simply does not impart force onto the surface that he's standing on, or at least only a fraction of his weight is used.

For purposes of momentum or falling or trying to lift him, he weighs the normal 150 pounds or whatever. But when he steps on something, they only feel like 10 pounds or so.

How does it work? The same way the rings of power do. Magic
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 680x452) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 680x452
>>62891927

>Hurr how do magic work
>>
>>62891694
the only reason it's so unbelievable is because to be able to walk on stones in free fall you would have to exert force on them with your foot to propel yourself up. but, the rocks are in free fall, so any force you push down with is just going to cause you and the rock to fall

it is impossible, especially because in the webm, the rocks he jumps on are not connected to anything and are in freefall

he would have to exert negative work on the rocks to have them propel him upwards
>>
>>62891927

He's a covert Sith master.
>>
>>62892068
The way elf walking works actually violates the second law of thermodynamics, unless we assume there is some outside force applying upward thrust to the elves when they step on a surface.

see
>>62892009
>>62891786
>>
>>62891694
Probably not.

It's irrelevant, but I once outran breaking up ice right underneath my legs. I had that adrenaline rush because I didn't want to get soaked.
>>
>>62891694
yes if he weighed as much as a housefly.
>>
>>62892001
It would still be a bit too stupid for me but yeah if it was quicker it wouldn't stick out as much.
>>
>>62892108
>thermodynamics
Is /tv/ the most retarded board?
>>
>>62892108
>violates the second law of thermodynamics

no it doesnt you fucking mong. it violates F=ma and w = fd. It's a force situation it has noting to do with entropy
>>
>>62891694
that just looks incredibly stupid and uncool for being so absurd
>>
>>62892108

So does the wizard making the sun appear out of nowhere and turn the giant trolls to stone violate any scientific laws
>>
>People itt whio know jack shit about physics.
You know you can jump in elevators even if it's falling right?
>>
>>62892150
Elves are so light they leave no tracks in snow.
>>
>>62891786
If he is so light how come he was able to hurricanrana that orc?
>>
>"WOW WHY DOESNT MAGIC FOLLOW PHYSIC LAWS BAAAAW"
>>
>>62892254
3rd law moron
>>
I talked with my roommate who is a fashion model and she said she is going to blow me tonight.

Enjoy your 20 sided dice, virgins.
>>
>>62892346
Newtons third law I mean
>>
>>62892310
>elevators moving down are in freefall
>>
>Magic exists in a fictional universe with no explanation
>Nerds whine that it's unrealistic
>Film series offers an explanation for where it's characters get their magic
>Nerds spend 10 years whining about midichlorians taking the mystery out of it

We need to genocide all manchildren tbqh fimfams
>>
>>62892400
Its an analogy but basically yes. You exert a force for a period of time which creates an impulse. That impulse is also generated towards you. It is basically nothing what you get but you will jump a bit.
>>
>>62892310
Yes, but it's different, because the elevator isn't in a freefall and your foot exerting force against it won't impact it's movement.
But when you try to jump from that stone in freefall, you actually give it further acceleration downwards. See F = ma (Newton's second law of motion).
So the more you push, the worse you make it.
>>
>>62892447
It's a bad analogy.
An elevator won't accelerate more if you jump on it.
Something in a freefall will.
>>
>>62892447
oh yeah i hadnt considered that

it would still be impossible in this situation though because of the rocks' weights, but i guess when you take into account muh magic elf weight it would work

it's a shame they made it look so stupid though
>>
>>62891773
Actually, YOU come across as an autist.

Shit webm is shit.
>>
>>62892464
Newtons third law is a thing. Think about the forces in your system. The force of gravity is only acting in free fall. Even if it falling whenyou push this mass with your feet you incremented the net force in the system by the time you pushhed it. This "by newtons third law will retirect to you generating a force upwards against gravit. This force needs tobe of greatee magnitude for you to jump, this dependes of the net force you applied om the object. But it also depends on the impulse for the infinitesimal momentum to be conserved.

Think about astronauts who are infree fall constantly, they still can "jump" off a wall of the spacecfaft.
>>
>>62892600
Sorry for the spelling, toasting from phone. Just saw this in my analytical mechanics class.
Consider something more massive than a brick, an asteroid. It doesn't sound stupid that you can jump of an asteroid (without counting gravity; an asterid sufficiently big to feel the push but too small to have any sort of gravitational impact.
>>
>>62892542
Yea the point is that in magical physics land were everything is idealized and fits nice it also works, not claiming it can be done with bricks of that size.
>>
Its a fucking fantasy film, an awful one at that, and this is a major complaint?
>>
depends on the mass of the rocks. they look massy.
>>
File: consider_this.png (19 KB, 586x724) Image search: [Google]
consider_this.png
19 KB, 586x724
>>62892600
I made you a picture.
>>
>>62892963
this is where the "magic elf lightfoot magic" comes into play
>>
>>62892963
Continuing:
The force N will never make Legolas accelerate upwards, because the force F_L is always just as big. They don't cancel each other out, but the sum of those forces is ZERO.
This leaves us the force G_L that is the gravitational pull that's affecting Legolas.
>>
>>62892963
If the impulse is sufficient (your arrow pointing above) it should jump a bit. Rockets goup basically by pushing mass out at high speed. The force exerted by legoles is only exerted to legolas in the opposite direction, reducing the net force.
>>
>>62893008
Why have you assumed that F_L is just gravity. Again, do you know how rockets work?
>>
>>62893095
>>62893008
There is no normal force until legolas pushes the rock, you don't know how forces work.
>>
>>62893065
F_L isn't gravity. It's the force that Legolas applies to the rock.

>>62893124
See how the normal force disappears after Legolas stops pushing? I think you're the one that doesn't understand forces here.
>>
>>62891927

he's not physically light (as in weighs 10lbs) its the force his feet make when walking that is supernaturally light, so he can sneak around in the woods with ninja silence
>>
>>62893242
>>62893242
>See how the normal disappears,
The normal if of the same magnitude as F_L. If yoy could generate sufficient impulse it would work. AGAIN, how do you think rockets work?

By pushing mass
>>
Could Jar Jar, a Sith master, pull off the same feats as Legolas?
>>
>>62893329
You do realize that there are more rocks than just the one, right?
And they all are falling at the same rate?
This has nothing to do with rockets, retard.
Stop spouting your Reddit shit.
>>
>>62893394
So what? The principle still holds. You are accelerating mass which generates a reaction force towards you which is nlt affected by gravity until you consider the net force. Gravity is external and your push is internal.
>>
if he had rocket boots like ironman. your roommate is an idiot.
>>
As a student graduating in physics next year, I have to say I have no idea.
>>
>>62893716
You don't know beyond highschool physics bruh.
>>
>>62891694
>says humble Legolas as the fellowship set out from Rivendell:
>m8 remember that time i ran up a falling bridge? Shit was soooo cash
>>
File: 1401979654989.gif (878 KB, 245x180) Image search: [Google]
1401979654989.gif
878 KB, 245x180
>>62891694
Who cares about physics?
It's just a poor delivered eye candy scene. The whole Hobbit movies were an utter fiasco.
>>
Imagine he has magic elf magic for the purposes of the force he exerts on the rock he weighs 0 pounds, this still doesn't make sense unless he can jump 20 feet in the air from flat ground. It'd be like jumping in an elevator moving down and ending up above where you started.
>>
File: frodo.png (325 KB, 560x559) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
325 KB, 560x559
>>62893682
So this is the power of autism.
How do you not know when someone is fucking with you?
Anyway, to actually push him off the falling rocks, Legolas would have to apply a force that is more than his gravitational pull.
So tell me, why didn't he jump the Ring to Mordor?
>>
he's probably going to drop out
>>
>>62891786

>it's entirely physically possible from a technical, scientific, mathematical perspective if we include in our hypothesis the premise that magic is real
>>
>>62893960
Yes, im nott arguing that you would require a force and impulse ridiculous even for Tolkien magic feet levels. Im sayin that if you can apply a force with your legs and that force is just enough, you could do it.
>>
>>62894054
Yes but if you look at the .webm the stones that Legolas is jumping on don't accelerate any more than the stones that are just falling.
If you applied such force to them their acceleration would be at least 2g.
What happens in that .webm is impossible.
>>
>>62894207
And im autistic jesus.

Stop backpedaling you faggot.
>>
>>62894229
It's impossible.
>>
>>62892068

>any force you push down with is just going to cause you and the rock to fall

Fucking no moron.

Okay, imagine Legolas was in outer space. He pushes off against the rock. Him and the rock would move in opposite directions, at speeds that are a function of their relative mass.

The fact that the rock is falling doesnt take away from the fact that Legolas could gain upward force by pushing off from the rock. It would mean he would have to push off at inhuman speeds against a rock perhaps, but not that the upward force wouldnt be gained by the push.

The rock is accelerating downwards due to gravity, so its speed is a function of time. At t = 0, it has no momentum downwards, and supposing Legolas was quick enough in pushing off from the rock, we have a physical situation identical to that of Legolas in space.
>>
>>62892963
Except he generates lift with elf magic.
>>
>>62894749
>At t = 0, it has no momentum downwards

This is where your premise breaks down, because the world doesn't operate by the simplified and clean initial conditions of the problems you face in undergrad physics.
>>
the problem isnt that it just isnt realistic
it just looks terrible, they could have done it alot better
>>
>>62895026

No man you are just being dense. Right, Legolas cant exert his leg in 0 seconds. But, for small values of t, sufficient force could propel him upwards. The point wasnt that if only Legolas operated on infinitely short time scales he could do it, the point was that as a function of time, all the physics are there for him to do so. He could let the rock free fall for five minutes, it would just take an even less plausible amount of force from his leg.

Again, its not possible in that no person could do this. It is possible in the sense that the mechanics to do so are there. Enough force, fast enough, by a human leg, could enable a person to climb into the air by jumping off falling rocks.
>>
You're all complete neckbearded sit in the back of the class faggots, you losers know that right?
>>
>>62895067
I think cartwheeling would have worked better. The momentum from it would make it more believable.
>>
>>62892279
He didn't make the sun appear out of nowhere, he split that rock just as the sun was rising.
>>
fuck it i had physics in high school

vertical and horizontal acceleration are separate and hes mostly moving forwards, not upwards. the one move where he actually goes upwards is when he uses his right foot to push on a big lump of rocks at the end of the gif

when he pushes on it with his foot the energy is equal in both directions, so if the rock is heavy enough he could pull it off

but since theres magic involved he aint gotta explain shit
>>
File: Smile.jpg (57 KB, 634x730) Image search: [Google]
Smile.jpg
57 KB, 634x730
I'm really upset and empty right now but this thread has made me smile.
>>
>>62892370
Just because you put clothes on your inflatable doll doesn't make it a fashion model.
>>
The first LoTR was even worse with the elf bullshit. Someone explain the physics of a wave looking like horses coming out of nowhere.
>>
File: Warped Face Laughing2.jpg (25 KB, 247x248) Image search: [Google]
Warped Face Laughing2.jpg
25 KB, 247x248
>>62895209
>cartwheeling would have worked better
This fucking thread.
>>
>>62891694
it doesn't matter if this is possible or not. what matters is that it looks fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>62895337
>not comprehending that magic doesn't abide by the laws of physics
So what's it like having this level of autism?
>>
>>62895283
>fuck it i had physics in high school

>vertical and horizontal acceleration are separate

OH IT SHOWS ANON
>>
File: 3858116-legolas.jpg (62 KB, 570x400) Image search: [Google]
3858116-legolas.jpg
62 KB, 570x400
>>62892108
>some outside force applying upward thrust

This is in fact the key. There are beings, invisible to all in middle earth, that act like an elf guardian angel. They attach themselves to an elf at the tippy top of the elves ear with a slight upward force, this provides the elves "light of foot" ability, and is also what causes the point ears.
>>
>>62895283
hes moving forwards and upwards, and the rock would have to be as heavy as the moon
>>
File: science coming through.jpg (25 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
science coming through.jpg
25 KB, 630x354
>>62891694
Technically it's possible. But he'd have to push off from each rock really hard.

It's like if you were in space and you threw your shoe you would start traveling the opposite direction as the way you threw it because of conservation of momentum. The heavier your shoe and the faster you throw it, the more speed you would get.

So he could jump off of the falling rocks by kicking them straight down to give him some upward force. The fact that the rocks are quite heavy helps in that regard.
>>
>>62892600
astronauts aren't in any fall at all. and if someone tried to replicate that scene in space, the rock would be pushed away before the astronaut moved an inch
>>
I want all the retards who actually think you can somehow shove off a falling rock to do a mythbusters type video where you do it 1000 feet off the ground and have someone else post it so we can all laugh as you fall and die
>>
>>62895209
>I think cartwheeling would have worked better.

SPINNING IS ALWAYS A GOOD TRICK

I HEARD THAT IT IS
>>
>>62895381
What's this thread even about then? It's just elf magic all the way down.
>>
>>62895570
And it would be deemed plausible because we can't find a elf to do it.
>>
>>62895371
100% agree. Yeah, it is probably technically possible because that's how Tolkien elves roll, but it looks stupid.
Moments when a movie breaks with the laws of physics like this live or die based on whether or not it looks good on screen. Take the iconic scene (although I don't know if it happens in any of the movies or anything) where Superman saves someone who's just fallen out of a plane. Now, obviously this is impossible. They'd still die when Superman catches them because of the momentum they'd already built up. But we let it slide, because it looks cool.
Meanwhile, Legolas might very well be able to jump up a falling bridge, but it looks stupid on screen. It doesn't matter if it's possible, because it's still ridiculous to watch.
>>
>>62891720
>>62891723
>>62891785
But it is possible
>>
>>62895616
This isn't about the falling rocks thing, because I agree that that is absolutely retarded. But the river horses scene is different; it doesn't present itself as a physical feat, and it's clearly a magic spell. There's no physics in a wave of horses coming out of nowhere, it's all magic.
>>
>>62895850
Yeah but nobody makes threads about how dumb is would be for superman to save someone that way
This is just about how Jackson is a hack and the hobbit series was a spit in the face of fans
Legolas does some cool stuff in Lord of the Rings because he's a cool agile elf
This is just fucking stupid
>>
>>62895968
I'm not saying all the stuff Legolas pulls off are stupid; they're fine, because they look cool. But the falling rocks is ridiculous. When your character's physics-defying stunt looks ridiculous on screen, then that's all that matters.
>>
>>62895935

Not in the real world. It would be possible for elves if elves were real and were specifically defined with the requirements for this to be possible. But they're not.
>>
It doesn't look bad because it's implausible (or apparently not), it looks bad bcause the animation on that CGI Legolas is crap, and the intercutting with the real Legolas desperately trying to make it look like this is a real thing that is happening is just really laughable.

And then it ends on him doing a move that is dependent on him having a lot of weight just after having done something that is dependent on him being light as a feather.
>>
Is your friend also an elf? If not then he had better shut the fuck up.
>>
File: 1338802731165.jpg (32 KB, 433x380) Image search: [Google]
1338802731165.jpg
32 KB, 433x380
>>62895550
>astronauts aren't in any fall
>what is an orbit
>>
>>62895550

>before they moved an inch

Well, with the new speed they gained by pushing off the rock, they would move any distance give enough time.

The only speed that precludes them from traveling 1 inch is 0.
>>
>>62891694
was he a Polish or Mexican physics major?
>>
>>62891694
It is possible to do this in theory, but not at the speed that humans move, if you move way, way, way faster than it is possible using physics, especially if the rocks are way heavier than you are.
>>
>>62891694
As an experienced engineer, I'm here to tell you all that it's definitely possible for Legolas to do this, anyone who says otherwise is probably misunderstanding Newton's 3rd Law. However, it would look a lot different than how they showed it. For one, the rocks he's actually pushing off of should shoot down (or go spinning off) way faster than the others, instead of continuing to fall in a uniform pattern, and I have a feeling if you calculated it out Legolas would turn out to have to be impossibly strong and durable for a living creature to do it. But then again it's pointless to argue because magic.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.