[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>horrible movie >most critics shit on it >589 reviews
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
File: prisoners.jpg (20 KB, 271x163) Image search: [Google]
prisoners.jpg
20 KB, 271x163
>horrible movie
>most critics shit on it
>589 reviews on IMDB (241 positive, 321 negative)

huh? Do movie companies just pay popular review sites directly to up the ratings now? I guess it's less expensive than paying critics.
>>
>>62819684
What was so bad about Prisoners? I've never watched it.
>>
Prisoners is a good movie though. What the fuck are you talking about OP?
>>
>>62819684
I watched this the other day and it was great, go back to reddit
>>
Stellar movie. Get bent, OP.
>>
Is this the dumbest post ever? OP says most critics shit on it, yet there is actual literal proof in his own picture that is not the case.
Also,
>Robert Ebert has his own column.
>>
You fucking faggot. Go fuck yourself. Elaborate on your criticism so I can fucking destroy you infront of all these nerds.
>>
>>62819885
You need to go back to reddit kid. Prisoners is THE example of IMDB sensibility cinema. It doesn't get more juvenile "film buff" than this movie. Everything from the casting, to the themes, to the cinematography. It physically pains me to even think about it. Fincher was always the epitome of IMDB to me until this movie, but then Villenvue managed to topple him.
>>
File: naughty toews.png (184 KB, 331x315) Image search: [Google]
naughty toews.png
184 KB, 331x315
>>62819992
Per your post, it has mostly negative reviews on imdb.

Oh shit. You literally are a retard.
>>
I really don't understand the love for this movie.

Sure, it's shot really well and the performances are solid as fuck, but overall the story and the mystery were very subpar. A very "been there, done that" feeling after watching it, which makes even more baffled because /tv/ and reddit go ape shit for this movie. It's like babbys first detective movie.
>>
Kill yourself OP
the Prisoners director hasn't made a bad film

You're just a contrarian faggot
>>
>>62820019
Children are easily impressed
See >>62820020
>>
>>62820020
>the Prisoners director hasn't made a bad film
He hasn't made a "film" at all.
>>
>>62819992
You still haven't made any points. Only a lazy comparison to one of the most consistently good working directors.
>>
File: 1345287619512.jpg (85 KB, 697x480) Image search: [Google]
1345287619512.jpg
85 KB, 697x480
>>62820020
>the Prisoners director hasn't made a bad film
t. the kid from r*ddit that has only seen prisoners, enemy, sicario and maybe incendies to pretend he knows something about this quebecois hack
>>
>>62819684
This movie was my favourite of 2013

>GOAT cinematography
>GOAT acting
>great plot
>great themes
>hardly anything shoved in your face for dumb audiences outside the old woman giving a fucking bond villain speech which annoyed me

Only thing that dragged it down was Terrance Howard.
>>
>>62820020
Settle down, chief. People have different opinions.
>>
>>62819992
>>62820092
literally poetry
>>
Sigh. You're wrong.

Yawn.

Next please.
>>
>>62820092
>hardly anything shoved in your face for dumb audiences
Come on this thing was pretty fucking hamfisted.
>>
it was a great movie. Acting was phenomenal and the torture scenes were painful to a next level
>>
>>62820092
>great plot
>great themes
>hardly anything shoved in your face

Yeah let me stop you right there. This is a decent movie, that's it. Nothing stellar, nothing to write home about.
>>
>>62819833
>>62819857
>>62819885
>>62819916
>>62819984
>>62819964

Movie is too long.

Police are completely incompetent, say they searched aunts house at the start of the film and found nothing.

Don't keep tabs on Dano or Jackman even though they should be prime suspects.

Over the top torture scenes with absolutely no pay off at the end.

Stupid red herring with the snakes in suitcases for no reason, puzzle thing which lead absolutely nowhere.

Worst bad guy in history of film, even explains evil plan while holding protagonist at gun point.

Yea, this was shit.
>>
>>62820218
>Movie is too long.

Stopped reading there. Stick to Michael Bay kiddo.
>>
>>62820218
>Movie is too long.

Stopped reading there
>>
>>62819992
This is mostly true. Villenueve doesn't make "bad" movies, but they are pretty basic in a way that appeals very much so to the young male demographic. They have a thin veneer or sophistication over edginess, and this draws in the Nolan/Fight Club fedora audience.
>>
>>62820304
Most recent michael bay movies are longer than prisoners.
>>
This film appeals to the people who parrot "based Deakins" when that is the only DoP they could even name.
>>
File: 1372084335314.jpg (12 KB, 400x396) Image search: [Google]
1372084335314.jpg
12 KB, 400x396
>>62820304
what are your top 10 films of all time and top 5 of 2014?
>>
>>62820371
Haha. You so mad ;)
>>
>>62820332
>implying that a movie can't be too long

it is a valid criticism, this movie should have been around 90 minutes long
>>
>>62820411
Are you trying to me me mad. It's not working
>>
>>62820339
Anyone using the word "edginess" to describe anything isn't worth listening to.
>>
>>62820411
There's not a single movie that's half decent that wouldn't be made more patrician by being doubled if not trippled in length.
>>
agreed. enraged jackman kicking his daughter's doll-house over as he storms out of the room = funniest metaphor of the year--shame it was probably intended as serious. such is PRISONERS, a glorified procedural which thinks it's ZODIAC or SE7EN or something but only differs from every overlong TV detective mystery you've ever seen through the sheen of deakins' images (suitably autumnal--->chilly, but only the drive to the hospital really worth the effort of sitting up), the blandly competent a-list cast (gyllenhall particularly impressive in the role of Cop Who Needs More Sleep And Less Coffee) and a torture side-plot where the dad's head-clunkingly allegorical Ethical Dilemma results in some semi-brutal methods of vigilante detective work (indirectly successful methods, i might add--where are all those 0DT-bashers now?).

there are other themes here, and the film takes great pleasure in announcing them 20 minutes after we've already worked them out. the first major eyeroll was when the wife unrealistically complained "i felt so safe with you, you were supposed to protect us...", contriving to hammer home the husband's masculine impotence as if we hadn't opened with that fucking deer-shooting scene. plenty more followed; don't even get me started on the portentous biblical signifiers, only LVT is allowed to call a woman 'grace' in a morality play. either give me some juicy pulp (even the ever-tedious jackman is pretty good at that if you allow it) or some original/deeply-examined character motivations, for fucks sake--swashes of broad symbolism and cute one-liners about foster care or alcoholism or financial troubles or blah blah blah are not enough to justify the PINES-level gravitas with which this story is told/
>>
>>62820304

Yeah, you're right, it absolutely needed that extra 30-40 mins screen time to include all the pointless symbolism and red herrings and torture scenes so that pseudo-intellectuals could pretend it was a masterpiece.
>>
>>62820464
la cicatrice interieure is one of the most patrician films ever made and its only 54 minutes
>>
>>62820528
And it would be even more alienating to plebs if it was 162 minutes.
>>
>>62820464
>>62820439
Are you retarded?
Do you know nothing of film?
>>
>>62820464
That's a fucking retarded thing to say.

Balance is important, same as pacing. Not every of your brainfarts needs space. Say what you want to say in a reasonable amount of time or fuck off.
>>
>>62820411
It's not a valid criticism if the pacing works with the runtime

Drink clorox
>>
>>62820559
explain in detail how garrel could have made it more alienating by increasing the time
>>
>longer = better
Going by that logic, you must love LotR and similar drivel.
>>
>>62820611
Fewer people would be willing to sit through it to the end.
>>
>>62820449
pitiful "defense" of the newest fedora director, taking up where Nolan/Fincher left off.
>>
>>62820464
Found the faggot that likes Bela Tarr
>>
>>62820670
Bela Tarr makes wonderful films.
>>
File: cr2.jpg (14 KB, 372x386) Image search: [Google]
cr2.jpg
14 KB, 372x386
>>62820644
>in detail
>>
File: 1422304930748.jpg (16 KB, 233x261) Image search: [Google]
1422304930748.jpg
16 KB, 233x261
>people have the time, the patience and the attention span to sit through a three-hour monstrosity
As someone who sat through the original cut of Heaven's Gate: kindly fuck you.
>>
You guys are tripping if you don't think Jake and Hugh dominated their performances.
>>
>>62820218
>>62820218
>Stupid red herring with the snakes in suitcases for no reason, puzzle thing which lead absolutely nowhere.
It wasn't a red herring. Snake guy was a victim who escaped. That experience ended up morphing him into who he was.

>Over the top torture scenes with absolutely no pay off at the end.
Actually, the payoff was that that Keller was an idiot who was blinded by being a parent. Parents don't think logically when shit like this happens. They jump to conclusions and always think the first person that's suspected did it. They sometimes take "justice" into their own hands without realizing that it's not justice, but revenge. They do this shit without thinking about the repercussions and how it not only affects them, but also their family.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUE8fYxjq8
>>
>>62820661
Pitiful buzzword "critique" 2bh senpai.
>>
>>62820705
That doesn't mean the film was good. Prisoners is a mediocre film made with great acting and cinematography, but don't be fooled by the artificial depth.
>>
>>62820705
>you guys are tripping

just as to be expected, the fedorians who faun over Villenueve use wannabe ghetto slang to "communicate"
>>
>>62820681
Do you eat shit?
>>
>>62820726
>Fight Club, Inception, Sicario, the list goes on, I'm such a cinephile!
>>
>>62820745
What is it about Bela Tarr's films you dislike?
>>
>>62820734
your criticism sounds more artificial than you think he film is. Why don't you name some films you like, so we can see how patrician you are. Go on, we're waiting.
>>
>>62820760
>Kurosawa, Ozu, Bergman, the list goes on, I'm such a patrician!
People who use the word "edgy" to dismiss a work fall into two categories: They either got their sensibilities hurt and are now butt blasted or they're way too worried about what others think of them. I guess there are also the types who insist that good art is nonconfrontational.
>>
>>62820719
It morphed him into a person who had the missing girls clothes soaked in pigs blood with snakes, served in a man's suitcase? Ok. It's still a big, stupid red herring.

>Actually, the payoff was that that Keller was an idiot who was blinded by being a parent
They continually beat you over the head with that point throughout the film.
>>
>>62820760
>>62820866
You entry level apes have your "i'm such a ___!" mixed up
>>
>>62820857
Fast and Furious 7, ลุงบุญมีระลึกชาติ, Even Dwarves Started Small, My Super Ex-Girlfriend, Candyman 2: Farewell To The Flesh.
>>
>>62820843
They are self-indulging at best and an absolute bore at worst. He's like the retarded cousin of Tarkovsky.
>>
>>62820983
>an artist shouldn't indulge in his whims
gr8 b8 m8
>>
My favourite film is a 13 hour sequence of individual sanskrit characters being translated through silent dance. The emotional depth is unreal.
>>
>>62821074
You mock, but who's to say that this hypothetical film couldn't have value.
>>
>>62821064
He can do whatever he likes.
I just think his films are too self-indulgent to the point of affecting their quality.
>>
Prisoners is an okay movie, you're just looking for vindication, OP.
>>
>my only criticism is the run time
>I can't put into words why the movie has no depth
>take my opinion seriously guys!!!!

spout your shit vitriol somewhere else
>>
>>62819684
>>62820218

0 serious responses

plebs
BTFO
T
F
O
>>
all I remember of this forgettable flick was that it was shit and very boring so I hated it, both of the actors are capable of better acting and have been in better movies
>>
>>62821210
>both of the actors are capable of better actin
God, you just reminded me of Gyllenhaal's "meme" blinking in this movie.
>>
File: Jake-Gyllenhaal-en-Prisoners.jpg (20 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
Jake-Gyllenhaal-en-Prisoners.jpg
20 KB, 600x300
So who else watched this film and decided to get this hairstyle?

Baldies need not reply
>>
>>62821347
Fedoras did.
>>
>>62821376
>baldie
hello baldie man
>>
>>62820218
>le i nitpik script and call things plotholes that really are not

Fuck off Redditor scum.
>>
>>62819684
The movie was great! but the french version ''Les 7 jours du Talion'' is sooo much darker....
>>
>>62820218
This post made me go from a 7/10 for this movie to an instant 4/10. I remember all these things, but somehow didn't process them until now...
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.