[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Based film desu What did /tv/ think?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 4928x3280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 4928x3280
Based film desu
What did /tv/ think?
>>
only saw it last week, great movie
>>
Prisoners is THE example of IMDB sensibility cinema. It doesn't get more juvenile "film buff" than this movie. Everything from the casting, to the themes, to the cinematography. It physically pains me to even think about it. Fincher was always the epitome of IMDB to me until this movie, but then Villenvue managed to topple him.
>>
File: dubsgot.png (82 KB, 320x272) Image search: [Google]
dubsgot.png
82 KB, 320x272
>>62817777
>>
File: 1419727045333.jpg (10 KB, 124x127) Image search: [Google]
1419727045333.jpg
10 KB, 124x127
>>62817777
>i know is true
>>
>>62817777
>read this
>chortle.jpg
>think about it a bit longer
>not unfair assessment, compared to imdb top 50

I mean you're correct but you can probably make the point without comparing him to fincher, in terms of imdb-core we're mostly talking about nolan, scorsese, cameron and scott. Mistaking Fincher for normie-tier is a symptom of oversaturation to /tv/
>>
First half 7/10, second half 4/10, overall pretty shit.
>>
>>62817904
I think Fincher is absolutely a part of the IMDB essentials. He is one of the purest embodiments of IMDB sensibility cinema, the only movie of his that doesn't fall in line with this is Benjamin Button. The rest is like a blue print for the imdb sensibilities.

As far as I'm concerned the ultimate IMDB trifecta is Nolan, Fincher and Tarantino. They will be top 3 in terms of IMDBness for a long time yet. Then you get people like the Coens, Scorcese, PTA. Go down another tier and you have Nichols, Villenvue, McQueen.
>>
>>62817971
I just meant that if youre going to compare Villenvue and Fincher you can do it without even mentioning imdb. Prisoners is like a direct loveletter to Zodiac.
It's not that the point is wrong, its just unnecessary.
>>
>>62817971
but i like the Coens and Nichols
>>
>>62818172
Nichols is a trash man but I like some of the Coen's films too. Still IMDB. I like at least one movie by every director I named other than McQueen and Nichols. I can still admit they speak to an imdb sensibility.
>>
>>62818519
can you explain what "IMDB sensibility" means exatly?
>>
>>62818547
I Am (a) Douche Bag
>>
this movie would have been better if it was set on the 40s , giving it a classical style
>>
>>62818547
If a film is made with the imdb sensibilities it means it has properties that make it appealing to the entry level cinephile. This can be acting style, subject matter, cinematography, editing. It's been said before but Prisoners is the most obvious embodiment of the IMDB "film buff"'s idea of "quality" in all of these departments.
>>
>>62818689
could you give an example of a movie for the best decade that completely and entirely avoids any imdb sensibilities? do you consider a film like prisoners for example as "bad"?
>>
>>62818689
I would genuinely like to know what your criteria for a good film is. Or an example. I don't understand how you enjoy anything if you think in these terms seriously. Must be a tough life.
>>
>>62818729
I don't know. Trash Humpers? You could name something like the Counselor which may be very IMDB in terms of aesthetic but in narrative structure is so unIMDB that it almost serves as an outright attack on those sensibilities.

I think Prisoners is a bad film because it is IMDB sensibilities and absolutely nothing else, but that's not to say that I dislike all IMDB movies. Zodiac is very IMDB in a lot of departments too but I consider that film "good" because it comes across as less inauthentic in it's examination of it's IMDB themes.
>>
>>62818878
you let the bait wiggle off the hook here, senpai
>>
>>62818941
What is "bait" about that post? It was completely sincere.
>>
>>62818878
you should consider reading a bit about cinema I feel like you have a lot of potential to learn because you seem like you care enough about the subject it's just that your current knowledge is a little rudimentary and still stuck in /tv/s way of thinking.
>>
>>62818878
This is such a fucked up and pathetic perspective, I hope you're just trolling man.
>>
>>62818118
>>62817971

You're talking about this shit like you have any kind of valid or constructive opinions, but you can't even fucking spell 'Villeneuve'.

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>62818994
I'm not good at sincere articulation so the best I can do is inject a germ of my sincerity into inflammatory language. It isn't outright shitposting or trolling from my perspective because there is a truth to the greater point expressed even if the key intent of my post seems to be to provoke through a self conscious overuse of frowned upon buzzwords. Cinema is definitely my biggest passion in life but it can be easy to feel trapped under the layers of irony when I spend hours of every day of my life ostensibly insulting the directors that I enjoy the most.
>>
File: 1429829874737.png (231 KB, 304x366) Image search: [Google]
1429829874737.png
231 KB, 304x366
>>62818878
>inauthentic

hi Tor
>>
>>62817777
>>62817971
>>62818519
>>62818689
>>62818878
>>62819379
Other people are giving you shit but it makes sense to me. I liked prisoners a bit but pretty much I agree with you.
>>
People who actual think theres is IMdB sensibilites and that they're somehow superior to people who enjoy 'IMDb' movies must be mentally handicapped. I genuinely can't think of another way to describe a person that could be so deluded and detached that they convince them self of these things. Get a fucking grip you autists.
>>
>>62820731
IMDB sensibilities exist. Though at no point during this thread was it implied that a film being "IMDB" friendly makes it bad. You take issue with the idea that there are certain recurring facets that make films resonate with a demographic of young males?
>>
>>62820816
I do when no one can properly articulate what those facets are. Everyones talking about 'those IMDB sensibilities' as if it has been defined but it hasn't.
>>
>>62820928
Glossy "entertainment" movies with pathos and acting styles that can be recognized as "High quality" by the entry level film viewer.
>>
>>62820928
IMDB sensibilities aren't some set in stone rule set. They just need to be aspects of film making that are able to appeal to juvenile audiences.
>>
>>62820731
I agree. It's fucking pathetic and a weak attempt to appear "patrician".

Those people don't care about movies, they only care about themselves and how they are perceived. To seperate themselves from others, they use movies as means of social distinction, not realizing how infantile that kind of behavior actually is. Teenagers act like this, but most of those so-called patricians are in their early to mid 20s. They have no excuse.

As somebody who enjoys pretty much all kinds of cinema, be it American action flicks or European arthouse, I have nothing but contempt for those people.
>>
>>62819379
I think continuously using the term "IMDB" sort of undermines your argument but I agree with the idea that entry level "cinephile" movies get far more credit than they're worth and I appreciate you don't meme about race and nonsense.

That said I enjoyed Prisoners, I like Deakin's style and filmography. I prefer Enemy though
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.