[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is characterization and character development so poorly implemented
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 4756108-8347527581-Buffy[1].jpg (211 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
4756108-8347527581-Buffy[1].jpg
211 KB, 600x900
Why is characterization and character development so poorly implemented in modern TV that old shows like pic related completely outshine them in that respect? Daredevil does a decent job of it I guess but that was made by a Buffy writer too.
Other than DD the last show I can think of that properly developed characters was The Wire.

There's no subtlety in TV any more. Even critically acclaimed dramas like Mad Men and BrBa have cartoony and abruptly spontaneous changes in characters blamed on plot points or time lapses. Why are people OK with this?
>>
>>62813241

I like buffy/angel as much as anyone but fuck off comparing it to mad men.
>>
Season 6
>>
Art reflects reality. People can't write good characterisation people are so bland and one-dimensional these days. Also, people are so distanced and guarded against one another that they never really deeply know a person. Basically people are really superficial, dull, and guarded these days, that it is hard to really get noteworthiness in terms of persona from them; and naturally this is reflected in modern tv shows.
>>
>>62813302
I didn't compare it to mad men. I was discussing one aspect of programming that every show has. Buffy excels at it and Mad Men doesn't. That doesn't mean Buffy is better.
>>
>>62813386
I've considered this but that only accounts for one dimensional characters. Doesn't explain manic shifts in personality though.
>>
>>62813670
It's just an attempt to make the characters noteworthy and interesting. They didn't start out as such, and now the writers want to make them so. Since there was very little characterisation or noteworthy personality or traits to begin with, the writers can't Flanderise the character - they have to make up something new about them. The change is so drastic because there was very little begin with.
>>
>>62813670

How does it not? If your audience doesn't really know what it means to get to know a person or even any internal logic behind we define as personality, you can pretty much do whatever the fuck you want, internal consistency be damned and nobody will know any better.
>>
>>62813302

Mad Men is trash. Fuck off back to >>>Reddit.
>>
File: 321543324.webm (311 KB, 490x620) Image search: [Google]
321543324.webm
311 KB, 490x620
>It's a "SMG isn't as hot as she used to be" post
>>
it's the typical 'people don't have the patience' excuse that ruined video games as well
>>
>>62813302
fuck off
>>
>>62814761
oh baby
>>
>>62814809

At least there's some light breaking through in relation to /v/ - I'm no videogaems expert but I was real impressed with the Souls series, there seems to be a lot of spin-off from that as well in the indie scene making hard games (hyper light drifter hyyyyype).

The best /tv/ gets is Netflix and Amazon touting the same crap while Vimeo / YouTube keep turning out the same uninspired amateur drivvle. At least the BBC occasionally releases something of note.
>>
>>62815655
>BBC occasionally releases something of note

OP here. You are right. I totally forgot about Peaky Blinders. Great characterization.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.