[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So George really means to tell me that the first Death Star took
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
So George really means to tell me that the first Death Star took 20 years to build, but the second, which was larger and more deadly, was built in the at most 4 years between the first Death Star's destruction and Return of the Jedi?
>>
The 2nd was still under construction
>>
>>62807635
They also probably learned a thing or two about how to build it faster
>>
I've been thinking about that actually.
I'd theorize that they were started at the same time. Just that nobody actually knew about the second one until later on.
>>
How did they get all the air inside?
>>
That may not be the first death star, that may be a prototype.
>>
>>62807618

if a secret military project that costs hundreds of trillions of spacebucks to build is worth building, it's worth building two of them.
>>
>>62807690
They went to space costco and bought canned air in bulk.
>>
>>62807724
Exactly, it's the first rule of government spending.
Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?
>>
Well if you already have the knowledge from building the first one, then the second would be a lot easier right?
>>
>>62807618
Magic

https://vimeo.com/39524403
>>
Government contractors and roofers
>>
The "second" Death Star was actually the first, and the "first" Death Star was merely built to distract the rebels from the deadlier real-first Death Star. And it was a good trick.
>>
>>62807835
I'm surprised they didn't translate his shirt into German too, doesn't that spoil the joke?
>>
>>62807690
Vacuumed it off some neiboring planet
>>
>>62807618

That's the prototype Death Star, not the actual one

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_prototype
>>
>>62807790
>contact fags pls go
>>
>>62808199
>make a prototype
>keep it secret for 20 years
>make it actually look like the finished article instead of just building the firing system or something

whatever George
>>
>>62808087
given how military leaders always have a boner for wasting the tax payers money, this isn't too far fetched
>>
Was the death star new in anh? Could it but have been asking for several years? I could imagine the first iteration of something taking twice as long as the second.

Wait, why am I getting to add logic to George's pottery?
>>
>>62807618

And in Episode VII new empire builds an even larger one.
>>
>>62807618
In a time of war things get done quick, especially when Sheev and Vader are riding your ass.
>>
>>62808195
SUCK SUCK SUCK
>>
File: tearsfrog.jpg (12 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
tearsfrog.jpg
12 KB, 251x242
>>62808199
>This
>Canon

Pick one nerd.
>>
Why does Dooku have the Death Star plans in Episode 2?
I keep feeling like there was supposed to be a big plot point with the Death Star's creation in the prequels but was abandoned for the third movie.
>>
>>62807618
The ending scenes weren't in chronological order. That's presumed to have been a few years after the "final" scene.
>>
>>62807668
This is a good theory I reckon...
>>
>>62808760

Sheep is looking at the plans when either Anak in or Windu come in his office.
>>
>>62807618

I'll admit the cameo by a young Tarkin here almost redeemed Revenge of the Sith for me.

Almost.
>>
>>62807618
-That screenshot does not take place immediately after anakin returns as vader
-Rotj is set 15 years after the empire strikes back
>>
>>62809106
ROTJ is one year after ESB, anon
>>
>>62807618
You're making a lot of assumptions. First off, the second death star wasn't even finished, although it was operational as Lando subtly points out. And secondly, why assume that they only ever planned to build one death star? Who says that they weren't already building this one in episode 4?
>>
>>62808760
It's just something to tie together the two trilogies. Could be that the plans originated from the Separatist factions. Maybe Techno Union or whatever made them.

Or he used Dooku to get the construction underway to hide it from the Republic.
>>
>>62809213
This is the most reasonable answer.
>>
>>62807668
>>62808969
I think that actually was in the EU, along with the prototype Death Star and Hutts brilliant idea to just have the laser
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTUrdizRZyw
>>
I'd work on Baby Face Bambino's house over Sheev's Death Star any fucking day of the week.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 600x439) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 600x439
>>62807618
I always wonder if post like this are more likely to come from the chronically unemployed or the fabulously wealthy. Who else has the time to autistically obsess over this shit?
>>
>>62807618
Presumably because in your pic, the Emperor had just taken over a corrupt bureaucratic democracy that had been devastated by war, while in the time period between Episode IV and Episode VI, the Empire was a totalitarian dictatorship on completely mobilized war footing.

The Senate was only dissolved around the time when the first Death Star was completed, and you just know they were holding up the works.
>>
>>62807618
1. That scene doesn't take place chronologically at the same time it was shown in the movie, it's several months at least later than any other scene in the movie, it could honestly be years.

2. Building something for the first time is a lot harder and takes a lot longer than rebuilding something, even if it's an upgraded version of something.

The first Death Star had to be researched and designed, the technology didn't exist yet. They developed it as they went along. Nothing of the sort had ever existed. There were no manufacturers of the technology, no pre-existing parts, no systems in place for gathering and constructing those materials. They would have to build infrastructure, plan and design ships that could build something of that scale, plan and design something that could build those ships, etc. etc. They could reuse everything they used to build the first Death Star on constructing the second.

3. The first Death Star was constructed in total secrecy. This is ridiculously difficult for a project of that scale. Hundereds of thousands of people, if not millions, would have been involved in it's construction. You need to keep track of who knows what, who's kept in the dark, and keeping assets and outsourcing programs diversified enough to keep people from putting the pieces together. You need to gather resources from a great diversity of sources so as to not arouse suspicion. You need to find the time between keeping up appearances. You need to find an excuse for/hide the massive expenditure of resources you're putting out.

They didn't care nearly as much about secrecy with the Death Star II, and could afford to be much more fast-paced about construction.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.