[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: we name sequels that are objectively better than the first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: the-godfather-part-ii-1974.jpg (77 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
the-godfather-part-ii-1974.jpg
77 KB, 1000x1500
ITT: we name sequels that are objectively better than the first movies. I'll start.
>>
>ruining your own thread by posting a wrong opinion
>>
Terminator 2
>>
>>62804161
You didn't start.
>>
A Fistful of Dollars is worse than For A Few Dollars More and that's worse than TGTBATU. All very good though, more than great even.
>>
>>62804161
>>62804177
Godfather II isn't OBJECTIVELY better than the first, it's a matter of opinion

at least we can all agree that Godfather III sucked and was only done because Coppola needed money
>>
>>62804161
>objectively better

It's not at all. It's very good, but sort of plays like, "Here's the rest of the stuff from the book we couldn't fit in the first one: The Movie"

Young Vito arc looked nice and played well, but wasn't all that revelatory. Michael's struggles were sort of just a rehash of the first film.

The first is a more complete vision.
>>
>>62804434
You completely missed the point if you think it's a rehash of the first movie. Part II is much more acomplished artistically. Although Part I is brilliant, it's merely expositive, telling a story about a family in the mafia, and the implications a fight between families has in the life of the youngest son.
Part II, on the other hand, has a thicker plot, with all the emotional depth of a man's ascention to power accompained by his moral decay, loss of his family and descent into loneliness.
The whole point of the Young Vito arc was to allow a comparison between him and Michael, showing how different they are, although achieving the same thing, whereas, in the first movie, it's implied that they've become the same by the end. Vito was a mobster who was running business with his own hands, which is shown in the scene where he kills the other mafioso, while Michael has men do everything for him, which conveys the sense of alienation he has because of his hugh role in the mafia.
I'm not saying Part I is bad, I love it, it's one of my favourite movies ever. But Part II is better.
>>
How long until this thread turns into an "Aliens is better than Alien" fight?
>>
File: Empire_strikes_back_old.jpg (398 KB, 1369x2125) Image search: [Google]
Empire_strikes_back_old.jpg
398 KB, 1369x2125
You know it's true
>>
File: ladyvengeance1600.jpg (170 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
ladyvengeance1600.jpg
170 KB, 1600x1200
>>62805799
Not before it turns into koreaposting
>>
>>62805853
well duh, everybody knows this.
>>
its darker than Raiders, and has a better location.
>>
>>62805706
>Part II, on the other hand, has a thicker plot, with all the emotional depth of a man's ascention to power accompained by his moral decay, loss of his family and descent into loneliness.

I respect all your points, but that does sound exactly like Michael's arc in 1.
>>
>>62806035
Not really, as in Part I, Michael's deeds were done for his family, in revenge for his father's murder attempt and the killing of his brother. He grew colder and darker as the film went on, but it never stopped to get really deep into his consciousness as Part II did.
>>
>>62805945
I like how pissy it is. Inb4 tumblr, but it's a misogynistic, racist piece of work from Hollywood's biggest humanist that exaggerates and mocks both Indy and the action-adventure formula (why have just a screeching harpie blonde? Let's have an irritating asian kid too). The pink and blue neon lights in 1930s Shanghai felt like a jab at how Hollywood amplifies an outside culture. A pissy pissy movie.
>>
>>62805945
Yeah but the blond bitch tho
>>
>>62805884
I liked sympathy for mr vengeance much more.
I had the feeling that Lady vengeance had stuff that I as not korean couldnt understand.
>>
Gremlins 2
>>
>>62805945
Raiders is iconic. Temple, aside from the amazing opening, is just awful shlock. Nice setpieces from time to time but it's just mind numbingly boring. It almost feels like a parody.

Raiders 10/10
Temple 6/10
Crusade 9.5/10
>>
>>62806299
This. Everything Michael does in II is for himself under the guise of "muh family". The Vito and Michael arcs contrast each other in such a beautiful way, in that Michael virtually undoes everything his father strove so hard to create.
>>
>>62806473
It is a parody.
>>
>>62806337
Hello tumblr !
>>
>>62806473
crusade is even worse than temple, for the same reasons
>>
>>62806376
Hell to the fuck yeah, that shit is a masterpiece
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.