[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I like tv series that are psychological dramas with surreal elements.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 1447193517326.jpg (507 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1447193517326.jpg
507 KB, 1024x768
I like tv series that are psychological dramas with surreal elements. Stuff like the prisoner, carnivale, twin peaks, evangelion, lain, utena or the maxx. Anyone can suggest films that are similar to these?
>>
>>62798611
Watch The Leftovers
>>
>>62798628
don't. it's crap with a mystery that will never be revealed
>>
>>62798649
Much like everything listed above.
>>
>>62798611
That guy was on an episode of columbo that I watched the other night. Probably the best episode of columbo I've ever seen.
>>
>>62798649

You're watching The Leftovers wrong then if you're in it for the mysteries.
>>
The Voices

It's really good. Don't let the fact that it syars Ryan Reynolds put you off, I don't like him and I still found the movie fantastic.

It's really depressing and disturbing. Not that funny (it's advertised as a dark comedy, but it's more of a weird psychological study).

The sureal elements comes from the chatracter being insane and seeing things in a rose-colored way. But the reality behind it is grim and bleak.

Anyway, give it a try. I caught it on tv a few days ago and I was really surprised at how good it was. I would NEVER have seek it out on my own to watch. It was advertised all wrong and the stars (Reynolds, Anna Kendrick, and Gemma Arterton) are not what you would expect that kind of movie to have.
>>
>>62798750
Been watching it with a bucket of KFC, how is that wrong?
>>
>>62798691
Only twin peaks and carnivale but they weren't finished.
>>
Utopia (BBC)
>>
File: Thelostroom.jpg (33 KB, 305x430) Image search: [Google]
Thelostroom.jpg
33 KB, 305x430
>>62798611
A bit lighter on the pyschological drama and surreal than you are probably looking for, but still a pretty good ride.
>>
>>62798807
Oh my god was that a terrible miniseries.

SPOILER

EVERYONE IS BACKSTABBING EVERYONE ALL THE TIME, EVEN WHEN IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE
>>
>>62798859

>miniseries

So....you didn't watch it.
>>
>>62798785
I'll just dump a scene. Not very spoilery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOzkZgA32Ss
>>
>>62798909
The first 6 episodes I did. I was unaware a second series was made.
>>
>>62798941

You're a fucking dumbass, think before you post next time.
>>
I think the final episode of the prisoner gave me ptsd.
>>
>>62798959
convince me the next 6 won't be another waste of my time.
>>
>>62798785
this nigger.

Movie flew totally under the radar, and watched it on a whim. It was really good. RR played the part well I think.
Ending gave me the feels even though you knew it was coming.
Still find myself humming the tune of "sing a happy song".
>>
>>62798973

You're a waste of our time, so that's impossible.
>>
>>62799017
So....you didn't watch it.
>>
The Box. It's not a good movie though. I mention it because I watched it last week and I don't want to suffer alone.

The Babadook. It's not a good horror movie, but it's a really good psychological drama with surreal elements.

Bunker 6. Not a great movie, but worth a watch. The surreal elements aren't really in-your-face, but they are there.
>>
>>62799010
RR was good at playing that cringe-worthy character. The scenes when he tries to have social interactions with real people are so embarassing and depressing.
>>
B E B O P
E
B
O
P
>>
>>62799138
I felt particularly bad for the girl (name?) that really liked him but then panicked when she saw what his place looked like.
The little bits of humour did actually fit in quite nicely I thought, especially where the therapist starts screaming and Mr. Whiskers breaks into song.
>>
>>62798611
Have you seen the remake 2009? Fucking trippy!
>>
>>62799403
That's not how you spell fucking awful.
>>
>>62798851
They should have made this a series. So so good.
>>
>>62799571
For a scifi original, it was excellent.

I had heard it ended on a cliffhanger, and was dreading the finale.

I was pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>62799034
Not him, but it's not as good as the first season, so if you didn't like that one, don't bother.
>>
>>62799389
The Anna Kendrick character? I liked her too. She was into him from the start and didn't reject him after he told her some things about his childhood. Made it even sadder when shit went down.

The humor was good, but creepy. After seeing the head when he was taking his pills, him talking to it later on, and it looking fine, really got ot me.

The cat and dogs were funny, but the things they said were kind of disturbing too. I thought the balance of humor and weirdness was really well done.
>>
File: coherence_xlg.jpg (235 KB, 812x1200) Image search: [Google]
coherence_xlg.jpg
235 KB, 812x1200
>>62798611
>>
>>62799592
Yeah, I think they were considering optioning it and then decided not to because it was almost too similar to the lesser Warehouse 13
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.