[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Its almost a daily occurrence that someone tells me that there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: familymatters.jpg (46 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
familymatters.jpg
46 KB, 500x347
Its almost a daily occurrence that someone tells me that there isn't enough variety on TV these days.

So for those of you who feel this way, what genre, setting or formula do you want to see more of on television?
>>
IT'S A RARE CONDITION
THIS DAY AND AGE
TO READ ANY GOOD SHOWS ON THE TV GUIDE PAGE
>>
There hasn't been a good sci-fi show in years.
That would be a nice start.
>>
>>62793747

SitComs and Serials, of the grand desaaaaiiiin'
Some people say, is even harder to fiiind...
>>
File: arrow.jpg (137 KB, 940x626) Image search: [Google]
arrow.jpg
137 KB, 940x626
>>62793807

Out of the five people I've asked, four of them have said SciFi needs a major boost. The fifth person said there needs to be more super hero shows.

But from what I can see, both of these genres have been getting a lot of attention in recent years. Not saying their shows are good. Just that they're done quite a bit.
>>
>>62793747
>>62793808
kek, well played
>>
>>62793847
>The fifth person said there needs to be more super hero shows.
This person didn't happen to be legally retarded, did he?
>>
I'd like a good Columbo again.
>>
>>62793969

To be fair, she didn't say there wasn't enough Super Hero shows. Just that she wanted more. Since its all she watched.
>>
I'd like more arthouse and experimental TV.
>>
>>62793997
>she
well, that explains that
>>
File: onemorething.jpg (70 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
onemorething.jpg
70 KB, 450x300
>>62793991

I was honestly thinking of something like this myself. A parody of the periodical crime drama. Since that's about all that's on prime time TV right now.

But its still kind of the same. And was already done well with Columbo.
>>
File: AlmosthumanE5Mx.png (265 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
AlmosthumanE5Mx.png
265 KB, 1280x800
>>62793807
There was but it was on Fox so it was fucked before it started.
>>
>>62793519
a family sitcoms like the kind they had on TGIF, or sitcoms in general where the joke isn't some kind of reference
>>
>>62793519
I want more space opera. There's a lot of sci-fi on tv right now, but it tends to be earth-bound and dystopic.

I'd also like more comedy that's a happy medium between braindead two-camera sitcoms and overly clever single camera shows.
>>
>>62793847
I honestly couldn't name a single recent science fiction show that was any good. Last one I saw was Ascension last year, and that one sucked lightyears of cock.
>inb4 Dr. Whogivesashit
>>
>>62794041

Problem with that show was it was basically a westernized version of an anime (Ghost in the Shell). And not as good as the source material.

The Android partner also didn't fit his part well.
>>
>>62794097

Most people go on and on about Battlestar Galactica, even though its a couple years old at this point. Aside from that, there's been stuff like Extant, Almost Human and Under The Dome. As well as dozens of the SciFi channel

So yeah. Most SciFi is periodical shit trying to pass as SciFi.
>>
File: startrek_do_it_for_charity.jpg (50 KB, 843x354) Image search: [Google]
startrek_do_it_for_charity.jpg
50 KB, 843x354
For those people who are saying they want more SciFi, what do you actually want? Hard scifi like crazy aliens and spaceships? More Star Trek type SciFi? More down to earth shows that just happen to be in a futuristic setting? Episodic Twilight Zone stuff?

Also, hooray for getting a new Star Trek (with strings attached).
>>
>>62794295
I'm not quite sure. My favorite scifi shows were Stargate SG-1 and early seasons BSG. I also thought Firefly had a lot of potential before it got prematurely cancelled. So I guess I'm the aliens and spaceships type scifi fan.
But really, I could go for any scifi show that's well written and has good actors at this point.
>>
>>62794371

>My favorite scifi shows were Stargate SG-1 and early seasons BSG.
I'd consider that closer to the Star Trek SciFi (especially since Battlestar was overseen by many guys from Next Gen and DS9).

>I also thought Firefly had a lot of potential before it got prematurely cancelled.
I honestly never watched it because it got cancelled. But every SciFi fan seems to cite it as what they want in a show.

Guess I have to go watch it.
>>
>>62793519
I'd like to see shows that you see on channels like HBO, Stars, Showtime, etc on normal network television.

I just can't stand most network and cable shows. It's all sitcoms, soaps, and procedurals. Or it's shitty reality TV. I mean, there are always exceptions, and sometimes you and be any of those and still be good, but 95% of it is shit.

It's not really genre that I wish would change, just the fucking writing.
>>
TV has a serious lack of sitcoms that are both actually funny and don't rely on laugh tracks.
>>
>>62794486

So you want a serialized show with good writing. I'd like that too. Like you said, you can even have it be in the format/genre that is overdone, as long as its well written.

The problem is finding those good writers, as well as a producer who wants to take a chance on it. There's a reason why shows like West Wing and Frasier only come around once a decade.

Or in our current case, once every 20 years.
>>
>>62794503

Laugh tracks don't really bug me honestly. I grew up watching stuff like The Jeffersons, Sanford and Son, The Nanny, Family Matters and Fresh Prince. It was so normal I just tuned the laugh track out.

I think the bigger issue is, most sitcoms and comedies in general are trying to appeal to people who want random/stupid/shock humor and nothing else. Its okay to have random and stupid humor. But if its all you have, it grows old real fast and only a specific demographic will keep watching.

All that said, I'd still prefer a sitcom with varied humor and no laugh track. Just saying the laugh track isn't what kills a show to me.
>>
>>62794414
>Guess I have to go watch it.
Don't expect it to be the greatest show ever conceived of by mortal man. It gets overhyped big time because of cancellation butthurt and Whedon shilling. There's a lot of spacewestern cheesiness to it that can get kind of grating.
Still, there's plenty to like about it once you get past all of that.
>>
>>62794295
For me, I just love sci-fi in general. I'm so glad Star Wars and Star Trek are back I just wish we could get another Stargate series as well. And bring Farscape and Firefly back from the dead.
>>
I want a serialized show that has more of an ensemble cast. Where you really get into the cast over multiple seasons. Most shows out today can't get it right. They either kill off characters right when they becomes interesting (Game of Thrones) or focus on one shot characters who overshadow the main cast. Or do it like Blue Bloods, where only two of the dozen or so characters are interesting and you want to just turn of the show anytime anyone else is on screen. I guess that's kind of like Game of Thrones as well.
>>
That's what we have HBO and shit for. What more could you need?
>>
>>62793519
>>
>>62794295
>Hard scifi like crazy aliens and spaceships?
You have no idea what hard scifi means.
>>
>variety
>on television
>posts a picture of a sitcom from a period where that (and glorified toy commercials, once a week) was all that was on television.

I'm getting mixed messages here.

There is more variety on tv right now than there has been at any point in history. Every established formula has either been upset or taken behind a barn, resulting in more creativity in the medium than at any point in history.

The only types of show that are really missing are from formats that have yet to be successful.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.