[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why did kubrick like this so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: Eraserhead.jpg (1 MB, 1881x2437) Image search: [Google]
Eraserhead.jpg
1 MB, 1881x2437
why did kubrick like this so much?
>>
>>62788645
Because it's a masterpiece.
>>
>>62788698
is it though? never seen it
>>
It concretes abstract emotional and psychological states pretty well

It's new, different, something a human really hasn't created or expressed before.
>>
dont know but it must have something to do with kubricks autism, maybe he wanted to fuck the girl in the radiator
>>
>>62788742

Y E S
E
S
>>
>>62788855
would you recommend watching Lynchs films in order? already seen twin peaks but was thinking of starting with elephant man cause its easily available on youtube
>>
>>62788880
elephant man is a good start since its the most coherent imho, the others are more abstract and hard to "get" but def worth a watch
>>
>>62788742
"Masterpiece" is an understatement. Watch it right now (in the dark, of course).
>>
>>62788949
Blue Velvet is easily the most coherent
>>
>>62788949
>>62788995
The Straight Story is actually his most coherent and grounded movie.
It also delivers hard feels.
>>
>>62788995
blue velvet isnt really "rocket sceince" to figure out the "meaning of," but its still pretty "weird" compared to elephant man, if you know what i "mean," with the dead guy standing up and the singing into the "lamp" "etc."

>>62789054
havent seen that yet but i will "thanks"
>>
say what you want at least this movie made me feel something, even if it was akin to nausea
which is kinda cool in retrospect
>>
>>62788880
don't let the plebs in this thread fool you
Elephant Man is his magnum opus
>>
>>62789131
alright
>>
>>62789131
Elephant man is shit. Lynch's only good works are Eraserhead, Inland Empire, and The Straight Story

MD and Lost Highway are okay but flawed with a few scenes making them worth the watch
>>
>>62789727
twin peaks?
>>
Elephant man is far from being very lynch.

Inland empire, muholland drive, and blue velvet are by far the most lynch feeling movies.
>>
>>62790722
what about eraserhead though?
>>
File: eyes10.jpg (137 KB, 500x325) Image search: [Google]
eyes10.jpg
137 KB, 500x325
>>62788645
because its fucking great?

Lynch's influence on Kubrick is especially noticeable in Eyes Wide Shut
>>
>>62791569
in what way?
>>
>>62788645
Kubrick thought the worst and most un fulfilling way to get across a movies meaning was through at surface level. The more layers made for a greater impact and much more rewarding experience. Which is very true for a lot of lynch's work.

Shame normies will forever dislike stuff like this and just reduce it to being 'dumb' because they don't get it.
>>
>>62789727
>Completely ignoring blue velvet and twin peaks

The only thing shit is your and your opinion
>>
>>62789727
Apart from Dune everything Lynch is good if not great
>>
>>62791739
Difficult to say, it's possibly because Eyes Wide Shut is Kubrick's most "normal" film. Aside from the orgy, which was relatively tame by Kubrick standards, the movie is really just following Tom Cruise. Which is fine, but you'd think he'd do more with the time, considering how filled with contrived action his films usually are.

The reason being, is that there could be a symbolic nature to the journey. What Cruise could have stumbled upon might not have just been an orgy, but the true ELITE of the world, the real ruling class, and what the rest of the film could have been conveying was the subtle, symbolic ways this ELITE controls our everyday lives, through its strange methods.

I've yet to make much sense of it, but it haunts me each time I view the film, much like Lynch's work
>>
>>62792252
>Kubrick thought the worst and most un fulfilling way to get across a movies meaning was through at surface level.
[citation needed]
>>
>>62793910
He's not quoting him you dolt
>>
>>62794246

learn to read
>>
>>62794257
Why would he need a citation on his opinion of Kubrick's style you clown
>>
>>62792657
Eyes Wide Shut is very likely his most difficult film after 2001 and Barry Lyndon but is still is very accessible. And there's also his highly weird debut film that is always disregarded in conversations about his filmography. Strange, as it's not a movie totally lacking in quality.
>>
>>62793910
Here's an actual quote then, look it up
>If you really want to communicate something, even if it’s just an emotion or an attitude, let alone an idea, the least effective and least enjoyable way is directly. It only goes in about an inch. But if you can get people to the point where they have to think a moment what it is you’re getting at, and then discover it, the thrill of discovery goes right through the heart.
>>
>>62792657
his most accessible work is the shining senpai
>>
>>62794283
>>62794501
>>62794257
>>
>>62792657

fucking tv gets more like reddit everyday

how did you write so much yet say so little?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.