[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went so right? How hard did they have to fight to keep Lucas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 450x318) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 450x318
What went so right? How hard did they have to fight to keep Lucas from ruining everything?
>>
Too bad it's the worst out of the trilogy.
>>
The amish dude kept shit in check.
>>
>>62779586
This, it had some nice moments with Yoda's many memorable quotations and the "I am your father" reveal, but overall it was a letdown. Just an hour and a half of random events plot where the rebels run away from things that ultimately ends on a cliffhanger. Literally an advertisement to go see the next movie. It puts my lels in orbit when people try to spin this into some kind of daring stylistic choice, i.e. "it's the le DARKEST movie in the trilogy and the low point in the heroes journey, of COURSE it ends on a commercial!"

SW '77 and ROTJ are both better.
>>
File: 1308714195543.jpg (156 KB, 980x663) Image search: [Google]
1308714195543.jpg
156 KB, 980x663
>>62779416
Hiring Irvin Kershner to direct is what made it go so right. And as a result its the least Lucas of all 6 films.
>>
>>62779586
>>62779803
I disagree with you but I respect your opinion.
>>
How does a guy go from directing Empire Strikes Back to making a forgettable unofficial bond remake of thunderball and literaly nothing else save for RoboCop 2?

honestly though i liked ROTJ more Tbh senpai
>>
Well seeing as A New Hope is superior to Empire I don't see what Lucas being "hands off" has to do with it
>>
>>62779845
Awwww
>>
>>62779855
Objectively, Empire > ANH. The reason ANH is good despite Lucas's involvement is the editing.
>>
>>62779820
Did they really film in the upper atmosphere?
>>
>>62780374
Yes. And all the extras were real aliens form another galaxy.
>>
>>62779586
George Lucas spotted
>>
>>62779820
>And as a result its the least Lucas of all 6 films.

And that's why George Lucas hates it the most and considers it to be the worst one.

>>62780374
Yes. For realsies. How else could you get that wind effect?
>>
>>62780787
Lucas hated it because it was the least marketable

>how the fuck am I going to make new collectibles with this shit?
>>
It's only memorable because Lucas made Luke and Vader related.
>>
>>62781125
>no scene in a setting with loads of aliens that adds nothing
>muh character development

FRANCHISE RUINED!!!!
>>
>>62780688
It would have been cheaper to get Mexicans.
>>
>>62781190
the reason that makes it memorable is because it created the short-lived illusion that the universe would become more than just a neat Good v Evil cartoon.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (14 KB, 241x210) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
14 KB, 241x210
>>62779586
>>62779803
>>62779855

This new meme of somehow pretending that Empire is not the best Star Wars is hilarious.
It's the only one I own in 1080p. Watched it last night.
Holy fuck those setpieces are gorgeous.
>>
>>62779803
That's because Empire was made like an actual "episode" instead of stand-alone movie. They didn't know if it was going to be the last star wars or the second out of fourteen. There was no trilogy until ROTJ.

It is a style choice, did you notice empire feels like you're watching the most expensive made-for-tv opera ever? It's because the movie's cast is ensemble. It shifts between luke, han & leia, and the empire, instead of luke being the main perspective like the original Star Wars. I'll admit the story isn't as near as satisfying as ANH, because we don't have this perfect mix of story elements rapidly firing off one after the other. Instead empire is the "slow burn" of the star wars movies that doesn't cover as much ground.

The writing is still great though. I like luke's story, I like han & leia's story, and I like vader's story. I cared about what happened next. By "Just an hour and a half of random events plot where the rebels run away from things that ultimately ends on a cliffhanger", I take it you didn't like han & leia's story. That's actually my favorite part of empire though, because I think the supporting cast is more likeable than luke, and the asteroid chase, asteroid worm, and cloud city shit was entertaining as fuck to me. Compare it to ROTJ, where the supporting cast is totally wasted doing teddy bear shit. But if you really don't care about their story, I can see how luke vs vader isn't enough.

>"it's the le DARKEST movie in the trilogy and the low point in the heroes journey, of COURSE it ends on a commercial!"

I only hate cliffhangers if it feels like they ended the movie before what was built over the entire film was not resolved. The only thing the movie built was luke needing to confront vader to save his friends, that happened. The "cliffhangers" are plot points that were created after luke lost to vader and the twist was revealed at the end of the movie.
>>
>>62779416
>How hard did they have to fight to keep Lucas from ruining everything?

It helped that Lucas was too busy setting up Skywalker Ranch to be actively involved in the production and basically trusted Kershner & Kasdan to make the movie. But when people started saying it was better than Star Wars, it got to him, which is why he was constantly looking over Marquand's shoulder on RotJ.

>>62779850

Kershner was, for most of his career, an indie/art-house director. He was shocked that Lucas would even ask a guy like him to direct the movie, since he was so totally not a big Hollywood director. Lucas was friends with some of the best young directors of the day and could easily have sought out any of them to follow up on Star Wars, yet he went with this fiftyish guy no one had ever heard of because he felt he knew everything they did, but wasn't Hollywood. After Empire, he became a sought-after commodity, but I don't think he really had any desire to be a commercial blockbuster director.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.