[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw Dreamworks pulled its head out of its ass and started
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9
File: pixar.jpg (125 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
pixar.jpg
125 KB, 1440x900
>tfw Dreamworks pulled its head out of its ass and started making good animated movies
>tfw you realise Pixar movies aren't anything special as a result

When did you get off the Pixar train?
>>
>>62776591

When I stopped posting about it on /tv/
>>
How can you get off the Pixar train when it's only been relatively recently that they've been shitting up and/or doing nothing?
>>
Inside Out was great imo senpai.
>>
>>62776667
>relatively recently

Try 5 years.
>>
>>62776591
I mean, Dreamworks has put out a good one now and again for a long time. Which good ones are you talking about though? I like Road to El Dorado, the first Shrek, Antz, and even though it's overrated HTTYD is pretty good. Still not even close to the consistency of Pixar, and even the good ones aren't as good as Pixars' best. Nothing as good as Finding Nemo, Toy Story, Wall-E (particularly the first third), The Incredibles, or Inside Out. Not to mention, yea, Pixar has Cars 1 and 2, and Brave, but Dreamworks has so much garbage. The good to bad ratio is not even close.
>>
>>62776591
The rest of Flik not being behind the R is creeping me out man
>>
>>62776667
>>62776713
Inside Out is honestly one of their absolute best works to date, and The Good Dinosaur... Will probably be decent, if a tad familiar.
>>
>>62776591

>Dreamworks

>Good Animated Movies

Since fucking when?

Of the 22 or so films they've made in the last decade only 2 of them are decent, they peaked with Shrek.....and that was almost 15 years ago.
>>
I got off the train when they stopped making good movies. Since Toy Story 3 they've been horrendous. Those earlier movies are still fantastic though
>>
Brave was the beginning of the end, but at least it was a semi original idea.
>>
If I ever have a child he will be watching mostly pixar and ghibli films. No manchild power fantasies allowed.
>>
>>62776591
>When did you get off the Pixar train?
When I realized that Toy Story 2 and Monsters, Inc. were head and shoulders above the rest of their shit.

>inb4wall-e
>>
>>62776862
>Shrek was 14 years ago

I didn't need this feel.
>>
>>62776899
Toy Story 3 is crazy overrated, and Inside out is fantastic, but in general they haven't lived up to their name lately. I think it's partially because the main group that spearheaded the golden era are getting old and/or moving on.
>>
>>62776862
Prince of Egypt, Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon 1

i count 3, but your point is solid
>>
>>62776862
>He doesn't think How to Train Your Dragon is the best animated film of the decade

Lmao at your life tbhfam.
>>
Ratatouille and the Incredibles and the first half of Wall-e are Pixar's best.
>>
>>62776961
Inside Out was shit. The premise was interesting I guess, but it made no logical sense. It should've been scrapped when they figured out they couldn't build a world that held up to it's internal logic, but instead they just forced it and hoped no one would notice.
>>
>>62777008
That movie fucking sucks.
>>62776966
All three of those movies are terrible.
>>
>>62777008

Where did I say that?

That's easy one of their stand out titles of the last decade, but it's hardly indicative of their overall quality.

Dreamworks produce garbage on a massive scale.
>>
Pixar has always been consistent. The only real garbage they've ever put out imo is Wall-E.
>inb4 b-but the first twenty minutes--
shut up, apart from the amazing intro, that movie is an absolute pile of garbage and you know it. it's not fucking subtle in any way and i'm sick to death of the old "in the future humans won't move anymore and also they will forget how to walk and speak and do basic tasks" meme.

Inside Out was GOAT, Cars 2 was amazing (fuck you it's great and you're a hipster for not thinking it's the most fun movie Pixar has ever made), Brave was alright.

Meanwhile, Dreamworks did Shrek 15 years ago, Kung Fu Panda a few years back, and has been absolutely shit otherwise.
>>
File: Brave_extra_scene_14.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Brave_extra_scene_14.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Brave was a great movie, you faggots.
>>
>>62776591
Cars set the alarm, Up was the wake up call
>>
>>62777103
Brave was one of the worst movies of the decade, and I say that non memeing
>>
>>62777051
Shrek hasn't aged well but if you don't like Prince of Egypt you're a c.uckpleb
>>
>>62777051
>Shrek is terrible

Pleb detected.
>>
dreamworks is so shitty that when disney made bolt, everyone thought it was a dreamwoks movie.

i rest my case
>>
>>62777103
Brave has the worst script ever made by Pixar. How that fucking mess become greenlit will be a mistery for years to come.
>>
>>62777103
I liked it as well, but it had some serious issues and felt like a big waste of potential
>>
>>62777137
AND THE YEARS START COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING
>>
File: prince of egypt.gif (487 KB, 500x229) Image search: [Google]
prince of egypt.gif
487 KB, 500x229
Dreamworks made the best 2D animated feature tho.

inb4 disney fags
>>
File: 1419815718329.jpg (146 KB, 800x1414) Image search: [Google]
1419815718329.jpg
146 KB, 800x1414
>>62776591
>When did you get off the Pixar train?

Never, I'm on this train forever. Just like those faggots in Snowpiercer.
>>
>>62777020
>logical sense

Dude, if the world they built was in any way tethered to reality you'd have a point, but it's clearly entirely metaphorical. I'll humor you though. Which part didn't make sense within the world they created, which wasn't bound to reality to begin with?
>>
>>62777199
You really think it was better than Fantasia?
>>
>>62777132
The only issue with PoE is the CG parts. They shouldn't have been included
>>
>>62776591
If Incredibles 2 is shit then I'm done with Pixar.
>>
>>62777333
You could say that about every Disney movie since The Black Cauldron
>>
>>62777333
dub-a-trips of truth
>>
>>62777321
Fantasia is a bunch of music videos, dude, it's not a real movie.
>>
>>62777333
>>62777389
I personally have no problem with mixed media, if it's done decently.
>>
>>62777363
i-is it happening? I had given up.
>>
Got off of it after Cars, came back after Wall-E, got off again after Toy Story 3. Haven't been back, don't think I ever will.
>>
>Somehow make an actual decent movie in HTTYD 2
>OH SHIT MILK IT QUICK

The sequel wasn't awful, but it was nothing special either.
>>
>>62777432
It's actually a bunch of short films all in one package. It has a non-traditional narrative that is interpreted visually according to the tonality of the music it is set to. You will probably never understand.
>>
>>62777477
Shit, meant to say HTTYD 1.
>>
>>62777477
Really? Obviously it has difficulty living up to the original (and I do think it's a notch below), but I think as a sequel it did everything right that a sequel should do.
>>
>>62777292
>physical manifestations of emotions having emotions themselves, therefore confusing the shit out of the audience as to what they actually were and what they do. How does joy control joy when joy is sad. Wouldn't Joy then be causing sadness? If that's the case, why wouldn't there just be one member in the control room, as all the emotions can clearly feel all emotions.
>They're trying to get the core memories up to the control centre. They encounter a tube that sends memories up to the control centre. They don't use the tube to send the core memories up. When asked about this the director said "Yeah, well then we wouldn't have a third act"
>An element in the girls life that creates depression causes the train of thought to stop running. This doesn't make sense and isn't in keeping with how stress actually affects the brain. This is one of many examples in the film where the actual functions of human emotion are sacrificed in order to expand the paper thin plot.
>getting in a miniscule fight with your friend shouldn't destroy friend island and obliterate the relationship that you built
>>
>>62777477
>>62777512
I liked 2 better than the similar Big Hero 6, which got the Oscar.
>>
File: 1362516879260.png (100 KB, 200x194) Image search: [Google]
1362516879260.png
100 KB, 200x194
>>62777562
>getting in a miniscule fight with your friend shouldn't destroy friend island and obliterate the relationship that you built

I agree with your other points, but this happened to me.
>>
Kung Fu Panda 2 was fucking bad ass
>>
File: Fantasia-poster-1940.jpg (1 MB, 2193x3458) Image search: [Google]
Fantasia-poster-1940.jpg
1 MB, 2193x3458
>>62777432
The phrase real movie doesn't mean anything. It's a series of vignettes related in tone, style, and ambition. (I know tone and style could be conflated, but to clarify I mean tone as in mood and style as in the animation techniques.) They released it as a feature film, so it's a film whether or not you have some arbitrary restrictions as to what that can be. Regardless of any semantics, it's still one of the most daring and ambitious works of art in film, no I am not kidding. To spend that much time and money on a concept that was totally unproven with a novel art form and to do with with (for the most part) incredible craftsmanship and taste... I'm honestly surprised it even exists. Disney, the actual man, doesn't get the credit he deserves. Fantasia is up there with 2001 and Citizen Kane in terms of pioneering a medium. Not to mention, it has world class music through and through.
>>
>>62777562
Well, to refute your first two points...the whole point of the movie is coming to the realization that emotions can work in tandem. This is made tangible with the control panel...which only one emotion can operate at a time until, at the end, it's realized that a moment of great sadness can lead to a moment of overwhelming joy. Which creates her first "combo" core memory.

Also why did you greentext all that shit? What the fuck man.
>>
How would you guys feel about a CG Fantasia?
>>
>>62776591
Cars 2 was shit but at least it was a sequel of something based on a culture I don't care about. Brave, on the other hand, was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
>>
>Every Pixar movie is the same

Come on, you know it's true.

Maybe the incredibles is the only one different
>>
>>62777721
>What if a thing that shouldn't talk but does goes on an emotional journey to reconnect with what's really important in life

Also Up probably, at least for the first part.
>>
>>62777717
CG was already in Fantasia 2000 and it was bretty good.
>>
>>62777844
Soooooooo....Brave Little Toaster you cock juggling thunder cunt.
>>
>>62777562
>physical manifestations of emotions having emotions themselves, therefore confusing the shit out of the audience as to what they actually were and what they do. How does joy control joy when joy is sad. Wouldn't Joy then be causing sadness? If that's the case, why wouldn't there just be one member in the control room, as all the emotions can clearly feel all emotions.
You do understand that emotions beeing little people in our heads is a metaphor, right? They are just a conviniet way to explain how our emotion work, they are not actually real
>>
>>62776591
After inside out i dont think im getting off anytime soon

shit that movie made me tear up like a little bitch
>>
>>62777936
Not to mention that Joy couldn't control joy as an emotion when she wasn't in the control room, nor could Sadness.

BEST FANTASIA SONG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHdRkeEnpM
>>
File: 51kP7O7NWJL._SY300_.jpg (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
51kP7O7NWJL._SY300_.jpg
23 KB, 300x300
>>62777984
>shit that movie made me tear up like a little bitch
;_;
>>
>>62776676
yeah but they ruined their run, fucking brave, cars 2, monsters inc 2, toy story 4. you don't come back from that. your brand is wrecked for good.
>>
>>62776591
>le dreamworks face
>>
>>62778327
Doubt it. But the ball has shifted courts. Dreamworks now has a reputation as being the quirky outsider studio that takes risks and makes lots of original high concept movies, whilst Pixar is now the dependable if a little unoriginal family entertainment juggernaut.
>>
>>62778327
Having read a lot of Irish literature and folk lore, I loved Brave. But I understand why it didn't resonate with a more common audience.
>>
>>62777646
Whoa dude, calm it. Didn't mean to offend your sensitive sensibilities by implying your favorite children's movie isn't that great.
>>
>>62778758
Probably because it's set in Scotland nor Ireland.
>>
Inside Out had more originality and imagination than any DreamWorks movie by far

That being said Pixar objectively only has one bad film, while DreamWorks theyve had some stinkers
>>
>>62777562
holy shit I thought I was the only one who legit didnt like Inside Out.

Overall it's not a bad film but it has so many small moments of inconsistency that kept yanking me out of the world and ultimately overpowered the entire film for me
>>
File: 1447603908871.jpg (174 KB, 1002x933) Image search: [Google]
1447603908871.jpg
174 KB, 1002x933
Daily reminder that Pixar is overrated unimaginative trash.
>>
>>62777051
>Shrek
>Terrible
>keklord
>shrek'd
>>
>>62777477
I wish they would have followed the kids books they're based on, though. The universe is more interesting and didn't have girls shoved in.
Also in the book hiccup is an ugly weak skinny character who barely gets any stronger and toothless is a literally toothless tiny green dragon. Also hiccup can talk dragonese. It was great
>>
>>62779016
The book universe is very different, but for the visual medium of film upgrading Toothless with the idea of dragon riding was a fucking masterstroke. As someone who has read the books and liked them (but didn't love them) I can say that I find the film much more entertaining. Even the author admitted that she thought the films improved on the books. Also you wouldn't have had the GOAT scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX69NSZ6Vik
>>
>>62779111
I'd have rather had fishlegs stay a skinny allergic autist who is then revealed to be a berserker who autism rages and kills everyone in the room. That was the best twist
>>
Am i wrong when i tell my girlfriend that classical art is the superior art form compared to animating especially western animation? I find it hard to see how any talented artist would want to spend all their time drawing the uninspired crap that pops out from all these big studios.
>>
>>62776945
Yurp, same here.

What I would give for it to be the summer of 2001 again, being 15, listening to Tool and Kid A, collecting Gundam Wing model kits, playing CS, UT, and StarCraft, chasing fellow sailing instructor QT's at my old summer job on the harbor.

Fuck, those were such good times.
>>
>>62779163
'western animation' isn't the same as 'animation from big studios'.
Animation from big studios is made to make money, not for the sake of art, its an unfair comparison
>>
>>62778706
This desu senpai
>>
>>62777721
You serious, son? Wall-E was an incredibly original take on the simple romance, Cars was ok original but really well done, and UP was decently original and again well-done.
>>
File: 1447704361298.jpg (1 MB, 3000x1642) Image search: [Google]
1447704361298.jpg
1 MB, 3000x1642
>>62779253

Well her goal is to work at pixar so there you have it, I get it's probably fun and all but I can't just wrap my head around people wanting to draw and animate these simplistic looking characters (no offense to them) if you're talented at drawing instead of something with some actual depth and creativity, even if you don't work at a big studio you still are most likely working under commission therefore can't even get your own full control over the things most people see that you put out.
>>
>>62779405
My mum is an animator, and I can tell you, its basically slave labour. You have to do hours and hours and hours of the same shitty 3d models all day every day for not so great pay only to get shouted at for something that went wrong in editing instead of animation
>>
>>62779405
Art is the illusion of life. Animation is in this respect arguably the closest to artistic perfection humans have ever reached.
>>
>>62777010
>muh trash planet

Nah
>>
>>62778926
>the ant doesnt do the face
>the green guy can't even do the face
Nice bait
>>
>>62779150
Why couldn't Netflix have made a straight adaptation of the novels instead of that 'race to the edge' shit?
>>
>>62779489

If i could put things into words better i'd refute you but i'm not an artist, anyway it's your opinion and i respect it I guess just from a consumer/hobbyist of looking at art I just find it very limiting to what one's talent truly could be used for.

>>62779450

Sounds like no fun m8 i'll have to look into that more.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.