[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars=Dune
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
File: SW Dune.jpg (31 KB, 460x298) Image search: [Google]
SW Dune.jpg
31 KB, 460x298
Star Wars=Dune

>Princess Leia
>Princess Alia (pronounced a-leia)

>Villain turns out to be hero's father
>Villain turns out to be hero's grandfather

>Tatooine a desert planet
>Arrakis (Dune) a desert planet

>Sandcrawler - Vehicle piloted by Jawas, "left over from a forgotten mining era long ago"
>Sandcrawler - Vehicle piloted by Arrakins, used to mine for spice

>Moisture Farmers (like Uncle Owen)
>Dew Collectors: "...used by Fremen to line concave planting depressions where they provide a small but reliable source of water"

>Spice Mines of Kessel (mentioned in passing)
>Spice is the most valued commodity in the universe, mined from Dune

>Jedi Mind Trick - Jedi ability which controls the actions of others
>The Voice - Bene Gesserit ability which controls the actions of others

>Jedi Bendu, the Jedi training technique which gives them excellent internal control as well as supernatural prowess in combat
>Prana Bindu, the Bene Gesserit training technique which gives them excellent internal control as well as supernatural prowess in combat2

>Vision of Obi-Wan appears to Luke on Hoth, while he's seemingly dying
>Vision of Pardot Kynes appears to Liet-Kynes in the desert, while he's dying

>The Trade Federation has a monopoly on shipping in space
>The Spacing Guild has a monopoly on shipping and transportation in space

>Luke practices his lightsaber technique against an automated training remote
>Alia practices her sword technique against an automated training dummy

>Millennium Falcon barely escapes from the jaws of giant, sightless space slug before it falls back into the asteroid.
>The Duke's ornithopter barely escapes from the jaws of a giant, sightless sandworm before it falls back into the dunes.

>Luke spies on the Sandpeople using electrobinoculars
>Paul spies on the Fremen using electric binoculars
>>
>>62772779
>>Sandcrawler - Vehicle piloted by Jawas, "left over from a forgotten mining era long ago"
>>Sandcrawler - Vehicle piloted by Arrakins, used to mine for spice

Star Wars is Dune in the future!
>>
I hope you find a job soon.
>>
George Lucas is a disgusting hack
>>
Star Wars in a homage to old adventure comics and serials and obviously Japanese cinema

It has nothing to do with Dune.
A sand planet?
Sand actually exists on earth. Is earth a rip off of dune?
Fuck off, they have nothing to do with each other
>>
>>62772939
>list of a dozen points of intersection between Dune and SW
>"lol muh sand"
>>
>>62772779
Sheev is the only OC in the Star Wars franchise
>>
>>62772966
>binoculars
Literally end yourself

Lucas has been pretty open about his sources and as far as I remember he never mentions Dune
>>
>>62772939
George didn't hide the fact he drew inspiration from Dune.
>>
Even if Star Wars is a rip-off it does Dune better than the awful Dune movie David Lynch did.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGcpLm989-U
>>
And the shaarlak is probably inspired by the worms of dune.
>>
Everybody knows Lucas rip-off a lot of previous works from Sci-fi, Fantasy and Japanese movies.

>http://www.moongadget.com/origins/index.html
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sources_and_analogues
>>
george even asked david lynch to direct return of the jedi. lynch declined and immediately went on to start filming Dune.
>>
>>62773157
I saw Dune when I was a little kid and I remember hating it. On Saturday Afternoon I noticed it was about to start so I decided to watch it.

If anything I hated it even more. I think it is far, far worse than Battlefield Earth and that movie was an abomination.
>>
Has anyone ever pointed out the irony in Dune, that because of the Butlerian shit, they refuse to build a machine in imitation of a man so they instead make humans to imitate machines? Or is that just an obvious theme
>>
>>62773334
What do you mean, they're pretty explicit about it.
>>
>>62772939
People don't seem to like your comments on sand... it was quite coarse and rough...
>>
>>62773356
I've only read the first two books so I wouldn't know. Just wondering.

>>62773279
You have to read Dune, I read it once as a teenager and thought it was alright, then I listened to it as an audio book later when I could appreciate it and fucking loved it. I got into the politics and epicness of it.
>>
>>62772779
Fuck, Lucas should have sued.
>>
>>62773440
I think the Butlerian Jihad is invoked in the original series already. Not sure what book though.
>>
>>62773457
Dune was published before Star Wars.
>>
>>62773490
I know they talk about it, that's how they justify all the genetic manipulation. Just wondered if they ever address the irony.
>>
>>62772939
Star Wars isn't a ripoff but it is obviously inspired by Dune.
>>
>>62773496
That sucks that Dune got away with theft like that, but it never got popular, so at least there's that.
>>
>>62773568
epic
>>
>>62773568
Can you not into English or something
>>
>>62773120
You're completely retarded.
>>
>>62772779
>Arrakis (Dune) a desert planet

Was this thread created specifically so you could include that line?
>>
>>62773967
Isn't this the first line spoken in the film basically?
>>
>>62773559
Not really.
Has Lucas even mentioned that he has read the book?
He's pretty open with saying stuff about how Indiana Jones is from old adventure serials and Carl barks Uncle Scrooge comics
>>
>>62773928
>being this BTFO

Stay mad
>>
>>62772811
Nigger, Star Wars is in the past and Dune is in the future.
>>
I dont care.

Star wars is still cool.
>>
>>62772779
Welcome to the year 1976, op. Enjoy your stay and remember to celebrate America's Bicentennial.
>>
>>62775771
Dune takes place in our universe too.
>>
>lord of the rings...Bilbo leaves his simple life to go on an adventure
>star wars...Luke leaves his simple life to go on an adventure

>Lord of the Rings..some old guy with a beard is like some kind of magic guy
>Star Wars..ditto

seriously Lucas?? YOU HACK..REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>62775844
Yeah but was there anything worse than Herbert bringing up Hitler in Dune Messiah?
>>
>>62775771
is the terminator the prequel to Dune?
>>
>>62775887
I liked it desu. It's cool how the plot becomes bigger and more megalithic until it becomes a sort of philosophical meditation on human history.
>>
>>62772779
Everyone already knows this.

>>Princess Alia (pronounced a-leia)
Huh? Why? Why would they pronounce it that way? It's not spelled in a way where that would make sense. Herbert you fucking hack.
>>
>>62775982
The Arab name is pronounced something like "AA-L-iy-aa", but since the main characters are mostly space Anglos the vowels are pronounced slightly differently.
>>
>>62776119
And that's why Herbert's a hack. He overreaches on world building. A book shouldn't need to come with a dictionary.
>>
>>62776414
In a better world Dune would get at least half the fanfic and extension SW gets. It's way more consistent, realistic and worthy of it than Geroge Lucas' toy ads.
>>
>>62773334

>Imitate

Not quite.

They trained human minds to work like computers instead of letting human minds atrophy. Before this, they were slaves to machines.

Figuratively in Frank's universe. Literally in Brian's.
>>
>>62775882
>leave Star Wars alone guys
>Lucas did nothing wrong

you fucks are seriously pathetic
>>
this isn't /co/, why would you post this manchild shit here
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.