[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When are directors going to understand that you have to play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: sh_the_movie_poster_08.jpg (379 KB, 1036x1500) Image search: [Google]
sh_the_movie_poster_08.jpg
379 KB, 1036x1500
When are directors going to understand that you have to play a game to understand it, and not just loosely go after the reference material to make a good movie based on it?
>>
When are video game playing retards going to understand that the content of their stupid baby toys doesn't matter and movies are a business and have to make money?
>>
You can understand the movie just fine without playing the games.

A few buddies of mine watched it without even knowing it was based on a video games series. They got the gist just fine. They even wanted to try the games after.
>>
>>62766827

Wait they're making a new silent hill movie?
>>
>>62766827
>implying 1st movie was bad

Second on other hand, but it was closer to the videgame btw.
>>
If you actually played the fucking games, you would realize they compressed all 4 games into a single story line.
>>
>>62766827
But anon, this is one of the few examples of a fan of the games making a movie.

The director had a PS1 on set so he could replicate scenes and angles (which he obviously does when Radha runs off at the start and finds the crucified miner). He took his favorite monsters and used them in the movie, and even had some in-jokes about having to check maps.

The movie had a shit second half and some cringeworthy acting and writing, but the director knew his stuff.
>>
File: Halo-combat-evolved.jpg (182 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Halo-combat-evolved.jpg
182 KB, 1024x768
>>62766827
HOW HARD COULD IT POSSIBLY BE TO ADAPT HALO IT'S BEEN OVER A DECADE AND WE HAVEN'T SEEN SHIT
>>
i LIKE THAT SEQUENCE WITH THEM DEMON NURSES WITH WRAPPED FACES MARCHING DOWN A HALLWAY. THEY WERE IN SOME TIGHT DRESSES AND HAD SOME NICE BREASTS NEARLY POPPING OUT. ALMOST JERKED IT RIGHT THERE IN THE THEATER BUT MY FRIEND PROBABLY WOULD'VE LEFT AND HE WAS MY RIDE HOME

;_;
>>
>>62766983
THE RINGWORLD IS UNSTABLE
>>
>>62766983
Nobody wants a Halo movie. It would be another boring, military-themed shitfest with no substance. Just like the games.
>>
>>62766983
Seriously wtf. Imagine how much ca$h they would have received if they released it in 07 or 08.
>>
>>62766983

It hasn't been adapted because the studios know the truth...that Halo is generic as fuck.

When your main hero is a silent protagonist who goes by his military rank, you know you've got a shit story and characters.
>>
File: Soldier_(1998)_poster.jpg (33 KB, 237x360) Image search: [Google]
Soldier_(1998)_poster.jpg
33 KB, 237x360
>>62767011
>When your main hero is a silent protagonist who goes by his military rank, you know you've got a shit story and characters.
>>
>>62767003
>>62767011
so just make a 2.5 hour sci-fi/action war movie with some religious themes. hell make the second half a horror movie with the flood. Starship Troopers for the first half then go full Aliens.
>>
>>62766952
And that ruined it because each game focused on a particular character. Pyramid head is scary, but he's more scary when he's attacking James as representation of his own aggression.
>>
when is /v/eddit going to realize they're not welcome on /tv/
>>
To be completely fair, the first half of Silent Hill is actually pretty good.

>that perfect soundtrack
>those accurate camera angles and set pieces

Everything goes to shit with the cult, but at least the ending is mildly entertaining.
>>
>>62767011
>Chief
>silent protagonist
Nigga please, Cortana/Chief banter is great. Fall of Reach movie would probably be better, though.
>>
>>62767011
You know Halo has more than just the Chief right?

Fall of Reach would make a better movie than any of the crap involving the big green gary stu.

I'd take the odst story over halo 1-5
>>
>>62767074
But this is reddi/tv/, can't you tell from the dr. poo generals or the game of faggots threads?
>>
>>62767074
When is /tv/ going to get their heads out of their asses and accept video games are the valid art form that they are? Oh right, never because muh films are the pinnacle of human creativity.
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 560x220) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 560x220
>tfw no film trilogy of this
>>
>>62767143
>films are the pinnacle of human creativity
they unironically are you underage moron
>>
File: autism.jpg (49 KB, 470x747) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
49 KB, 470x747
>>62767177
>>
>>62767143
It's just a vocal minority. Video Games are great. /v/ is a bit of a shithole because it's just /r/pcmasterrace 2.0.
>>
Video game movies usually make the mistake of being poorly cut up versions of the actual game's story. They should try and show side-eventsthat you don't see in the games.
>>
File: image.jpg (597 KB, 1221x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
597 KB, 1221x1500
>>62767161
They already made it bruv
>>
>>62766996

Ringworld movie when.

>>62767101
>>62767101

Fall of Reach would be a good movie, but there'd have to be some heavy exposition at the beggining. And besides, you can't really do a Halo movie without a Halo.

Imagine if instead of Avatar we'd gotten a Halo movie based on just the first gameas the first major 3D blockbuster. Covenant rendered in detail like like Smurfs? The fucking Flood?

Add like a squad of Marines that frequently encounter the Chief as a subplot. They'd show the horrors of 8-foot alien monsters shooting at you while the Chief bits would be fan boy fodder.
>>
>>62767267
Not a bad idea. It shouldn't try to appeal to general audiences, it should just be fanservice for those who played it.

>Hugh Jackman and Ellen Page will never play Joel and Ellie in a The Last of Us movie.
>>
File: image.jpg (281 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
281 KB, 1920x1080
>>62767300
Uncharted is pretty different from Indiana Jones if you play through them. Plus Temple of Doom is shit whereas U2 is one of highest rated games ever made. Uncharted 1 is decent but Raiders is one of the most iconic films ever made. Uncharted is more of an homage to the Action-Adventure genre than Indiana Jones. plus if you actually play Uncharted has way better action set pieces (although not as iconic) than Indiana Jones (but that's because it's game and not a movie with practical effects).

Indiana Jones history related stuff + Tomb Raider action (game)+ James Bond Villain = Uncharted.
>>
>>62767479
>tomb raider action
no
tomb raider temple of light style cool puzzles and co-op
>>
>>62767479
I think uncharted has a bit too loose of a plot to make it work. If it's too contrived, then it will turn out crappy.
>>
>the amount of /v/eddit in this thread
all hope for this board is lost
>>
>>62766827
I actually found it pretty good. I thought it really captured the eerie/creepiness of the game.
>>
>>62767631
It lost everything that made the game unique in the first place.
>>
>>62767594
Too normie for video games son?
>>
>>62767594
This board went to shit when that stupid bane meme went mainstream.
>>
>>62767767
/tv/ was never good.
4chan was never good.
If you want a special hugbox club, go to reddit.
>>
wrong board fuckbois
>>
>>62767631
>cuts to the "real world" for filler
>people walking around in groups, ensuring that the solitude of being in Silent Hill is lost
>several "LOOK AT THIS GUYS! THIS MONSTER IS FAMOUS!" scenes
>monsters only exist in the Otherworld, removing any hint of unpredictability

Anon, if you want to watch a movie that captured the eeriness of the game, watch Jacob's Ladder. Team Silent used it as a huge reference point while making the games, the main feels isolated and alone, even among others, the supporting characters seem like broken people going through their own demons, and the overall design, of the creatures and of the atmosphere, feel much closer to Silent Hill than anything Christophe Gans' limited imagination could ever hope to emulate.
>>
>>62767781
>le /b/ was never gud faec

I think it is YOU who needs to fuck off to reddit you meme-loving faggot
>>
>>62767857
>implying film adaptations are against the rules

Since fucking when? I don't see anybody directing capeshit movie and bane threads to /co/ or Shining threads to /lit/.
>>
>>62766827
>watching movies based on video games
>not watching the movies that inspired those video games

Why watch the Max Payne movie when Payback is right fucking there?
>>
>>62767990
Because Max Payne 2 was better.
>>
>>62767726
you're too normie for arthouse
>>
Silent Hill was one of the few good video game based films.

My list of good video game films:
(Good implies not utter trash, not great or awesome, just not an embarrassment to the series)

Mortal Kombat
Silent Hill
Prince of Persia

In addition, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was a good sci-fi flick, just a completely shitty Final Fantasy film.
>>
>>62768115
>final fantasy movie minus the shitty anime beltsandzippers nonsense that started with 7

It was a step in the right direction.
>>
>>62768115
mortal kombat is "the" video game movie.
>>
>>62768314
It's a shame that Annihilation shat the bed.

I don't think I've ever seen a film series drop so quickly in quality.
>>
>>62767074
When /tv/ starts posting memes and realizes all of /tv/ isn't welcome on 4chan :^)
>>
>>62768115

Ace Attorney was GOAT too.
>>
>>62767161

>implying this isn't modern indiana jones
>implying the prototype hand-drawn sizzle reel doesn't exist
>implying the movie isn't being scripted at the moment

you just wait, they'll milk the shit out of uncharted
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.