[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What year did cinema go irrevocably wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Jaws-movie-poster.jpg (258 KB, 1545x1869) Image search: [Google]
Jaws-movie-poster.jpg
258 KB, 1545x1869
What year did cinema go irrevocably wrong?
>>
Nice one OP, using a blockbuster.
>>
>>62744845

fuck the Lumière brothers
>>
Can we all agree that Jaws has the most iconic movie poster in existence?
>>
>Born in le wrong generation xD
>>
Probably not until 2005
>>
>>62745353
probably this. I've noticed a sharp down turn after the first Matrix movie (in terms of mainstream hollywood films)

Its probably the over reliance on CGI which ruins the pacing of movies.
>>
When did they start rehashing the same shit?
>>
>>62744845
2007 has to rank up there, films released that year included

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Spider-Man 3
Shrek the Third
Transformers
National Treasure: Book of Secrets
Epic Movie
Norbit
Ghost Rider
28 Weeks Later
Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer
Ocean's Thirteen
Evan Almighty
Rush Hour 3
Daddy Day Camp
Bee Movie
Hitman
Alvin And The Chipmunks

Note the unnaturally high number of blockbuster sequels
>>
>>62745887
>300
That movie, while not actually bad in its own right, is singlehandedly responsible for ruining historical war movies and documentaries. Every similar fucking thing since has been a shitty imitation of that style of action scene, even shit on the History Channel (well, until they dumped all of their effort and resources into pawn shops, ancient aliens, and 2012 doomsday nonsense). I agree with your assessment.
>>
Around the time of Independence Day.

Blockbuster movies stopped having any new ideas or subjects and then became a series of CGI action sequences.
>>
>>62746076
>>62745517
Wrong
Lotr is the best blockbuster trilogy ever and it was from 2001 to 03
>>
File: simpscar.jpg (39 KB, 249x356) Image search: [Google]
simpscar.jpg
39 KB, 249x356
>>62744925
in terms of it's ability to be recognized to the general public, or it's replication.

I think scarfacé is most notable for that
>>
>>62746076
Except that Independence Day had lots of practical effects
>>
>>62744845
But Jaws had the GOAT monologue in cinema history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9S41Kplsbs
>>
>>62746217
FUCK I wish Spielberg would move back into blockbuster cinema again. He knows how to create spine-tingling magic like no other mainstream director.
>>
>>62744845

The year Top Gun came out.

You can't say cinema though OP. There are still masterpieces made every year. I think you mean "What year did Hollywood go irrevocably wrong?"

And I still haven't given up on the faint possibility of it one day being saved.
>>
>>62745887
To be fair we also got movies like Zodiac, No Country for Old Men, and There Will Be Blood
>>
>>62746699

that other dude is a knob

Not only did 2007 give us what you posted but it also gave us Syndromes and a Century, I'm Not There, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days, Offside, Colossal Youth, and Southland Tales

great fucking year
>>
>>62745887
>the third Pirates of the Caribbean

That movie was so unbelievably bad.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.