[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what the hell does 'outdated comedy' even mean? does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1.jpg (512 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
512 KB, 2048x1350
what the hell does 'outdated comedy' even mean? does comedy even have an expiration date?

also what does /tv/ think of Seinfeld?
>>
>>62743668

Topical comedy tends to lose its context with time. Slapstick and wordplay endure pretty well, though.
>>
>>62743668
yeah mel brooks comedy is mostly outdated despite what nostalgia fags tell you

comedy is always a product of its time and geography and culture. some pleb shit is funny in japan for instance.
>>
>>62743668
Murphy Brown and possibly MST3K. Nobody now would get the references.
>>
Seinfeld is timeless.
>>
>>62743668
Seinfeld isn't outdated but it certainly feels a bit old

Friends feels much less dated despite it airing at the same time as Seinfeld, and its hard to explain why but millennials would definitely prefer Friends to Seinfeld

fwiw Seinfeld is still my favorite sitcom of all time
>>
Some things are dated some not.

For example jokes about phones being everywhere is outdated now that we have the internet but the jest of it is still true so while outdated it's still pretty funny.

Sex, relationships, money, women, men, the character of Costanza those are still relevant as fuck because they still apply today.
>>
Am I the only one who finds Seinfield to be unfunny but LOVES Curb your Enthusiasm?
>>
Jokes about older technology nobody uses anymore would go over the heads of younger audiences. As would references to then-current pop culture. So yes. Some comedy can become outdated.
>>
File: 1.jpg (29 KB, 533x477) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
29 KB, 533x477
>>62744259
>finds Seinfeld to be unfunny

yeah, you're the only one.
>>
political comedy will always age terribly. stuff like steven wright and mitch hedberg will probably stay ageless
>>
>>62744259
kys js senpai
>>
>seinfeld
>outdated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UeINnBMFA4
>>
>>62744259
oppisite here. seinfeld is still about a smug jew and some pretty stupid scenarios, but it's still funny. george makes it.

curb is just larry david being a dickhead, but not in an endearing or funny way, he's just a dickhead. The humor felt so forced, the whole "aunt/cunt" skit was painful to watch. I really hated the whole thing.
>>
>>62743668
Watch some old Lenny Bruce or Larry Miller stand up..dated as hell

I love Seinfeld, actually been on a binge for about a week...still funny to me, but in a few years who is going to remember Keith hernandez or Steinbrenner..these pretzels are making me thirsty won't hold up in 20 years either
>>
Seinfeld will feel more outdated to viewers who never knew the world of the late 80s or 90s before the Internet, smart phones, and 9/11. If you did know that world the jokes will always land because you can relate because you were there.
>>
>>62744822
They're involved with baseball, that's all the context you need and the show gives it to you

I was 3 when that Hernandez episode aired so me knowing who he was outside of that episode would be impossible, doesn't lessen the jokes because knowing who he is doesn't matter
>>
>>62744693
>curb is just larry david being a dickhead
no it's not, it's everybody being a dickhead and taking all the ridiculous scenarios that play out on the show totally seriously

how can you say "george makes it" and hate curb? curb is the crack to george's cocaine
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.