[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Entertainment (2015)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.png (96 KB, 562x387) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
96 KB, 562x387
Is this the best movie of 2015?

When you got movies like Gregg Turkington in them, you can't lose.

I'm feeling 5 bags of popcorn for this one, maybe throw in a little tub of hair gel as well.
>>
Question:

Is he playing himself as Gregg Turkington when not onstage "in character"? Or is Gregg playing a guy that plays that comedian character?

too many po-mo levels bruh...
>>
File: Carrot+Top+sNwvfqSl9vCm[1].jpg (34 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
Carrot+Top+sNwvfqSl9vCm[1].jpg
34 KB, 360x240
Who is this man?
Is he famous?
What is his vocation?
>>
>>62738324
>Art is stupid
>Laughing is stupid
>You're stupid for liking anything ever
>If you've ever been happy you should kill yourself

:The Movie
>>
>>62739568
I don't think you got this movie. Stick to Rick and Morty, kid.
>>
DUDE MOODY AMBIENT MUSIC PLAYS WHILE LITERALLY NOTHING REMOTELY INTERESTING HAPPENS LMAO
>>
Entertainment is intentionally really difficult to read, Rick Alverson is a formalist first and foremost, he's more concerned with how shot composition and color dictate the tone and impart meaning rather than imparting it through a standard narrative. A lot of the events in the film are incidental to the overall intended meaning. To Alverson, the film is about our relationship with modern entertainment, and his hatred of the majority of commercial media that employs no naturalistic view of the world and solely exists to give us a feel good buzz. Making movies for him is solely an excuse to fuck with cinematic convention and push back against contemporary "this is how you're supposed to feel" filmmaking.

Which is great and all, but my post doesn't address any of the actual shit in the narrative, because I don't know how to read a lot of it. Gregg's character is already a well and broken man, endlessly running a purgatorial circuit with absolute no hope. The mexican show is essentially an escape for him that evolves into delusion when he goes into it, it goes from something he dreams about to a full psychotic break. He refused to stay with Michael Cera because he was a creepy hustler in a bathroom. That event was more indicative of the hell he was descending into rather than any sort of commentary on his character. The stillborn baby delivery in the bathroom reflects on his estrangement with his daughter, and the scenes that follow it involving the children making faces into his car only compound his loss. You could infer that the majority of his despair in the film initially stemmed from that estrangement. It definitely happened in the film, and he did the right thing. He's a miserable and empty man, but he's not a bad person. He walks away from the internet video kids because he's drained, he doesn't want to be used anymore, people only want him for the character that he portrays.
>>
I give it 5 bags of popcorn and a soda.

Didn't really feel as much as a connection with Entertainment as I did The Comedy. Though I suspect watching it a couple years down the road when I'm 30 it will hit harder.
>>
>watch gregg mope around and look sad/discontent for 100 minutes

Nah, I'll pass. Same reason why I turned off The Comedy.

I'm a massive On Cinema buff too, but Rick Alverson's style is the definition of pretentious.
>>
>>62739979
>>62740195
>>62739568
jesus do you people ever look at something below surface level?
>>
is this getting a hard copy release?
the comedy got dvd, but maybe this will get a blu ray?
>>
>>62738324
Shut the fuck up Thomas
>>
yes, it is. at least my pic for the best of the year but I don't think the majority would agree with me
>>
>>62738662
The comedian character is "based" on Neil Hamburger, but it's not actually Neil Hamburger, partially because the Gregg character in the film is in no way based on actual Gregg.
>>
>>62738687
He's LEGENDARY
>>
>>62740195
it didn't seem really pretentious to me, I quite liked it actually

Just watch it without prejudice and let it wash over you
>>
What's the "a disturbing image" from the rating?
>>
The Comedy was better.
>>
>>62743817
Dead fetus
>>
>>62743817
The protagonist's face.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.