[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled - is this show actually good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9
File: Sherlock.png (3 MB, 1920x1090) Image search: [Google]
Sherlock.png
3 MB, 1920x1090
Now that the dust has settled - is this show actually good?
>>
>>62730216
It's been ruined by its fanbase. Kinda like 'The Mighty Boosh'.
>>
No. It's okay. Last season was pretty bad. Nothing was clever and at least one episode felt more like one of the bad episodes of monk or psych rather than Sherlock
>>
It was never good.
>>
>>62730216

It was alright as a modern Sherlock Holmes but failed to be an interesting detective drama also this >>62730417 the fanbase ruined it worse than Doctor Who.
>>
>>62730216

It's very good. Often great. I don't understand why it triggers this board so much. Clever, funny, nicely directed, comfy atmosphere, well acted.

>>62730417
>It's been ruined by its fanbase

This is what i don't get, who? Something about Tumblr? Who even cares?

Even the third season, which gets derided here, was better than the chinese mystic episode in 1 and the hound episode in 2.
>>
>>62730417
The Mighty Boosh has a fanbase??
>>
the pacing is all over the place because the episodes are like feature films. also the effects are stupid, the dialogue gets insufferable and to be honest most of the situations are just fucking retarded or are solved magically.
>>
>>62730652
>Clever

In what way is sherlock clever?
>>
>>62730769
It has two! A bunch of older people who were there the first time round and a rotating door fanbase of university students who are looking for the most 'lel so random XD' thing they can find. See also most of adult swims output, Garth Marenghi etc.
>>
>>62730216
It had two decent episodes, Study in Pink and Scandal and Belgravia. Everything else is shit and the most recent season was unforgivably self-masturbatory.
>>
Elementary is better
>>
First episode is good.

Then they slowly give Sherlock actual superpowers.

Then they joke about how he doesn't actually have superpowers. I remember a number of reviews commenting on this, to the tune of, "Thank God he doesn't actually have superpowers."

Then in the most recent episodes it turns out he definitely has superpowers and he uses them. And what could have been an interesting villain has superpowers too.

It's capeshit except the cape is replaced with a memecoat. A complete waste of what could have been a good series.
>>
>>62730896
>self-masturbatory
Sherlock in a word
>>
File: Get Out.gif (471 KB, 474x379) Image search: [Google]
Get Out.gif
471 KB, 474x379
>>62730918
>>
>>62731051
He's right
Nice gif though. Where'd you get it?
>>
not as good as this one

as a stand alone and not a sherlock holmes show, its very good.
nice symbolism, very fast paced, nice soundtrack, all that. but holmes as a pretentious atheist sack of crap rather than an elegant, pompous, and likeable guy doesnt sit well with me.

same with john. pretty much every person in this show is a terrible person.
>>
>>62731149
>sherlock holmes
>likeable guy

pick one
>>
File: Livanov.jpg (20 KB, 250x341) Image search: [Google]
Livanov.jpg
20 KB, 250x341
>>62730918

Elementary has some interesting ideas for a modernisation but it's hampered by the American network television crime format and too many non-adapted scripts.

One essentially ends up watching it because Jonny Lee Miller's central performance is pretty bloody good.
>>
>>62730918
This, surprisingly. Jonny Lee Miller is easily the best Sherlock since Brett.
>>
It was good up untill the sherlock/watson relationship became the main focus, which resulted in last season being one long 'oh you're annoying but we really are good friends!' plot.

We get it, you like each other despite bemoaning each others idiosyncrasies, shut the fuck up about it and do some mysteries
>>
File: sherlock.jpg (15 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
sherlock.jpg
15 KB, 360x240
Superior, but not best Sherlock coming through. Outta the way ayylmao fucking shits.
>>
>>62730918
When I first heard about elementary my eyes rolled up through my skull. However I watched it to see how stupid the Americanized version would be and I ended up liking it more than Sherlock.
>>
File: Peter Cushing Sherlock.jpg (189 KB, 836x1000) Image search: [Google]
Peter Cushing Sherlock.jpg
189 KB, 836x1000
>>62731149
>>62731932
>>62732098
The best Holmes is here.
>>
>>62732098
Come to think of it, I think this is the best Sherlock of the past 25 years. If any anon knows any better, pls show me, I'm starving for some detective shit.
>>
Whats the point of it anyway? Every modern detective show thats come out in the last few years is literally sherlock holmes anyway.
>>
>>62730216
It's much better than Doctor Shit.
>>
File: the great trio.jpg (48 KB, 768x770) Image search: [Google]
the great trio.jpg
48 KB, 768x770
>>62732122
Agreed. Best van Helsing too. Is he the most underrated actor of all time?
>>
>>62732098
Is that the wired canadian 'max headroom' guy who eerily reminds everyone of jim Carrey?
>>
File: sherlock.png (257 KB, 915x933) Image search: [Google]
sherlock.png
257 KB, 915x933
>>
>>62730918

Elementary is so much better it's not even funny, and this is from someone who thought it sounded like the worst idea on the fucking planet.

It sure as shit has more respect for its characters. Everyone on Sherlock who isn't Holmes is a walking joke meant to prop him up as a god. Elementary decides that maybe other cops and even Watson get to be component, because when you have more then one smart person on the show it works a lot fucking better.
>>
>>62732180
Quality post.
>>
File: The Horror of Dracula.webm (3 MB, 1800x1080) Image search: [Google]
The Horror of Dracula.webm
3 MB, 1800x1080
>>62732158
I love him.
>>
>>62732283
>missing Lee's horrific growls

It's not the same thing. Great scene tho.
>>
>>62732122
That's not Jeremy Brett
>>
I found myself really enjoying the show after watching the first series. It was a pretty cool take on a modern day SH. My 2 beefs with the show are 1: Moriartys portrayal is so laughably bad. This guy is supposed to be cunning and devious and instead he feels like a literal copy of the joker. The thing that killed this show for me was when they revealed he's still around. Absolute shit.

2: Sherlock as a character was more likeable early on as the genius recluse who didn't really care about or process emotions too much. As the show went on it felt more and more like the show creators were trying to make his character more quirky and likeable. Particularly at Watsons wedding. Having sherlock crack jokes and act cute lost any hope I had for the shows future as I feel like he's slowly being written to a point where yaoi fanfics of him and Moriarty are going to start popping up if they haven't already.

I did, however, absolutely love Watson and Mycrofts portrayals on the show. They don't show enough of Mycrofts superior intellect, even though it's been mentioned more than a couple times how much smarter he is than Sherlock.
>>
>>62730918
this.
>>
>>62732385
>I feel like he's slowly being written to a point where yaoi fanfics of him and Moriarty are going to start popping up if they haven't already.

Pretty sure the episode where a bunch of people were discussing how Sherlock survived that bullshit on season 2 involved one scenario where Sherlock and Moriarty kiss each other. They already know where their fanbase is.

Also, I liked the first two seasons of the show, while Moriarty might have been a little too flamboyant for my taste his character wasn't bad at all. The atmosphere is great, the acting and character portrayals were pretty good, and while the writing might have tried to hard to be super clever the acting overshadowed that.

Season 3 was kinda bullshit though. Sherlock just feels like a fucking genious robot who never gets anything wrong and Watson just trying to keep up with him.
>>
>>62730216
Episode 1 and 3 of every season are good-great
Episode 2 of every season is mediocre-bad
Overall it's a pretty good show, but the fanbase is absolute filth
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.