[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: coherence.jpg (347 KB, 1669x2400) Image search: [Google]
coherence.jpg
347 KB, 1669x2400
Just watched this movie and thought it was neat. I think I've seen a thread about it before, but didn't look at it as I didn't want to spoil anything.

The ending was a bit meh, but the rest of the film was pretty solid. It didn't try too hard to sound clever or anything.
>>
Confused me
>>
yeah it's a great thriller that doesn't need much brain power to deconstruct.

As a fa/g/ I loved their cryptographic key solution (the unique box). That's a smarter concept than anything I've seen in sci-fi for the past decade, and they make it sound so simple.

shame about the Brendon JUST though
>>
>>62727800
>It didn't try too hard to sound clever or anything.

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? ARE YOUR THOUGHTS EVEN COHERENT?
>>
>>62727908
I didn't understand why they chose the same photos as the box before though. They knew it had to be diffenerent.

Also, is there such a thing as 'choosing' a random object... Surely there would be some form of thought process when picking an object at random.
>>
>>62727800

I am a science fiction geek who has read over 1000 science fiction books. I lthought Coherence was great, actually, I also found it pretty scary at least at the start.

There's a couple of Larry Niven short stories it reminded me of.
>>
I watched it some time ago. The ending confused me because if I'm not mistaken the blonde girl kills her self from another reality, the boyfriend phonecalls her, and she answers the phonecall. Does that means that there's a third her in that reality?
All in all I really liked the movie.
>>
>>62728000
The photos were always going to be the same as they would always recreate the ones they found. The random object is just a failsafe in the slim chance that all the photos matched up with the exact same numbers, with the exact same pen color. Anything to differentiate the results pool (entropy in cryptographic terms).
>>
>>62728025
>I also found it pretty scary at least at the start.
yeah I saw it at 3am and went in completely blind. I thought it was gonna be a horror movie. It still kind of is.
>>
>>62728025
>There's a couple of Larry Niven short stories it reminded me of.

Names?
>>
There were some interesting angles to it, like the way that girl didn't at all recognise Xander from the tv show he was meant to have been in; like maybe she herself has crossed over from another reality even before the comet approached. And that shit about "the door that goes nowhere" - I found that pretty creepy desu
>>
>>62728123
If somebody kept on travelling to different realities and checked the boxes to find their own reality, how could they be sure it was there's as there are only x amount of items you can put into the box and y amount of photos, and the dice would give the same numbers after a while.
>>
>>62728498

Ah, one is called "On A Foggy Night" or something like that, and another may or may not be called "Crosstime Inc". Both of them are in a compilation called "Nullspace" which is actually maybe the best compilation of SF shorts from a single writer that I've ever read.

as well as the stories it's interspersed with larry nivens musings on his own worldbuilding and other nuggets like a deconstruction of what would happen if superman and lois lane had sex.

it's pretty rad
>>
>>62728552
I loved those tiny signs of crossed universes: the vase, the tv show, the spanish yoga.

Afaik the mix up started as soon as her phone broke. She entered a completely different house. Then as other guests arrived, they were completely different people too. The fact that they were getting along with each other not knowing they have experienced completely different realities is pretty spoopy.

>>62728597
>the dice would give the same numbers after a while
I can't remember the odds of that happening for however many people there were, but the chances of recreating it are ridiculously slim. Factor in the pen color and random object too and it's pretty much impossible for any one human to rediscover that combination over time.
>>
>>62728692
ok some speculative trivia on imdb says:
>the odds of finding exactly the same box's contents, combined with each having exaclty the same color of the glowsticks are 1 against 5'038.848, not counting factor C and factor D
so that's over 5 million and 38 thousand separate visits, not counting additional factors.

She's pretty much screwed.
>>
>>62728654
Cheers, bud.
>>
>>62728886
What would you do in that situation?
>>
File: 1410781601250.jpg (14 KB, 385x387) Image search: [Google]
1410781601250.jpg
14 KB, 385x387
>>62729022
>>
>>62727800
very good movie
its not an Art, but very good SciFi
>>
i liked it alot .. cheers
>>
>>62727935
I assume he means it wasn't pretentious.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.