[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Both Ridley Scott and Clint Eastwood released their biggest box
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: ridley.jpg (37 KB, 634x609) Image search: [Google]
ridley.jpg
37 KB, 634x609
Both Ridley Scott and Clint Eastwood released their biggest box office hits in the twilight of their lives in The Martian and American Sniper, respectively. They will likely never top this success for the rest of what little life they have.

How is this possible?
>>
The Martian was too reddit for me. American Sniper though was a masterpiece that leftists will never understand.
>>
>How is this possible?

I don't understand the question. Are you asking how is it possible that they will never top their success? Because you answered that yourself; they won't live long enough.
>>
>>62727528
>The Martian was Ridley Scott biggest box office hit

I fucking hope this is bullshit
>>
>>62727589
How is it possible that these too men who have a combined career of a century could release two unprecedented successes at such an advanced age when most of their contemporaries have faded into obscurity or died?
>>
Ridley Scott got a bonus after his brother commited suicide
>>
>>62727561

Heh, I'm a leftist liberal and I understood it perfectly.

The Martian is s movie that conservatives will never understand
>>
>>62727561
>Amerifat detected

You probably bought like 8 copies of that retard's autobiography, didn't you?
>>
>>62727528
I gotta make a "Disdain for Plebs" image with this
>>
>>62727667
Ignore this post. Look at this one.
>>
>>62727667
Adjust Gladiator for inflation

Then delete your post.
>>
>>62727699

>not counting for inflation

Alien made like 7 gorrilion dollars
>>
>>62727528

ITS POSSIBLE BECAUSE THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD AND INFLATION DRIVES UP THE PRICE OF TICKETS. THERE ARE ALSO MORE THEATRES.

People don't fucking get that a movie made 20 years ago doesn't have the same potential as today. Fuck
>>
>>62727561
And conservatards will never know what it's like to think for themselves.
>>
>>62727743

This
>>
>>62727743
It's impossible to think for yourself UNLESS you're far right.
>>
>>62727639

Probably because they have a combined career of a century, I guess.

I mean, they're filmmakers, not professional athletes. They're only going to get better at it as time goes on.
>>
>>62727735
Yes but how did these two movies make so much money, while movies like Exodus and Flags of Our Fathers made so little?
>>
>>62727823

Heh, you keep thinking that you little drone
>>
>>62727561
The comedy of The Martian was really ill-conceived most of the time. Very unfortunate because I liked the story itself and felt like the actors did their very best with the material. My fault for expecting something on the solemn side, like Cast Away.
>>
>>62727841
controversy and people like high budget space movies
>>
>>62727886
>The comedy of The Martian was really ill-conceived most of the time.
This. When that black from Shitmunity started appeared on screen and did all the bazinga meme shit I got so fucking mad that I started drumming on the sides of my head with my clenched fists until my ears were swollen and bruised.
>All of those great space effects wasted so they can please the facebook crowd with their normie humor and overplayed music
Could have easily been a better version of Moon but they went too mainstream.
>>
>>62727528
If he actually puts Aliens in the next Prometheus movie he might actually top The Martian. Assuming, of course, Lindelof is kept far away from the script this time.
>>
>>62728109
It doesn't matter what he does for Prometheus 2, it'll be a fucking terrible cash grab. Frankly the more they incorporate stuff from Alien, the worse it is.

Alien is a beautiful movie. Everything that came after is desperation.
>>
>>62728109
well the movie is called Alien: Covenant. if it's good, Ridley can die at peace.
>>
>>62727626
>>62727626
>The Martian was Ridley Scott biggest box office hit
and Best picture nominee

screen cap this if you want
>>
>>62728068
Well it is based on the book The Martian and from what I recall from the first half of the book it was pretty much that. A "le" quirky protagonist that says fuck a lot
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 600x900
>>62728068
Should have been like pic related but on Mars
>>
>>62727640
That one was spent on The Counselor
>>
File: the-counselor-poster.jpg (128 KB, 680x907) Image search: [Google]
the-counselor-poster.jpg
128 KB, 680x907
>>62728196
Worth every penny for the Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia of our time.
>>
>>62727823
this desu
>>
>>62728175
I read the book
It wasn't anywhere as cringe inducing
>>
>>62728457

>I'm unironically far right

HELLO REDDIT!
>>
>>62727528

THERE'S A SEQUEL TO THE MARTIAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ulyjLQsPU
>>
>>62727528
Because movies make more money nowadays
>>
>>62728484
I'll be honest. I listened to an audibook but had to quit half way and i have not seen the movie.
>>
Figure this is the right thread to ask this in: Was Mark Watney gay? He told Jessica Chastain to find his parents if he didn't make it back- no wife, no kids. He's also the only character from the crew not with a spouse at the end. Was he actually a poof?
>>
>>62727626
>I fucking hope this is bullshit

It's had a damn successful run, and is still in the Top 5 after over a month. Domestically, it's pulled ahead of Gladiator (his previous most successful film) by fifteen million dollars and passed the $200m mark. Globally, it's passed $460m, also brushing past Gladiator.
>>
>>62727639
i think you give directors way too much credit
especially at this level the director doesnt really do anything . youd get the same movie no matter who directed them.
>>
File: AS-01015rv2-560x380.jpg (96 KB, 560x380) Image search: [Google]
AS-01015rv2-560x380.jpg
96 KB, 560x380
>>62728648
Eh, it looks like Clint is still fairly involved in the process.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.