[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the other movies in the series worth watching?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 30
File: ayylium.jpg (94 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
ayylium.jpg
94 KB, 800x1200
Are the other movies in the series worth watching?
>>
>>62727355
All of them except the AVPs are legitimately worth watching from an aesthetic perspective, and if you like watching space people getting eviscerated by a parasite. Whether or not they're good is debatable. Personally:

Alien > Alien 3 > Aliens > Prometheus > Alien: Resurrection >>>>>>> AVP > AVP: Requiem
>>
First of all Alien is a flm. Aliens is a bad movie. Alien 3 is a mediocre film. A:R is a terrible flick.

I'd say leave it at the first movie. But if you do make the mistake of watching Aliens make sure you jump right into 3 because that fixes a lot of the bullshit that Cameron pulled to ruin the franchise. Never watch Resurrection.
>>
>>62727410
Shit, the AvP movies are really that bad?

Are the other Predator sequels after the first at least worth a watch?
>>
>>62727431
This guy gets it.
>>
Aliens is as good, if not BETTER than the original. Skip the rest.
>>
>>62728605
Predator 2 is fine. Not great like the first one, but still fine. Bill Paxton and Gary Busey are in it. AVPs are shit, nothing good about them that I can recall.
>>
>>62727431
>>62728629
samefag
>>
>>62728663
>Aliens is as good, if not BETTER than the original.
I'd like to see you get hacked to death by a machete. I know you think that's some throwaway edgy statement, but I genuinely mean it. The world would be a better place if every enemy of art like yourself was brutally murdered. I can just imagine your cheeto dust stained arm rising in front of your face to protect yourself, only for the blade to cut straight through your flesh and bone. Aliens is one of the greatest atrocities in cinema history. If you disagree with this statement then you're in the wrong fucking place.
>>
>>62728726
I like the characters, the horror is still there but with some action too. The chase at the end gets my heart pumping every time!

Why don't you like it?
>>
>>62727355
Yes. But just remember that it's all downhill from there.

Than again none of them are really that great, guess they kinda show their age a bit.

I liked Resurrection a surprising amount though, guess it's because I like kinda bad sci-fi.
>>
>>62727355
Aliens is great too, and Alien 3 Director's Cut is pretty decent though usually underrated.
>>
>>62728800
It is proto-capeshit, proto-video game "entertainment" pandering garbage. The first film was an art picture more akin to 2001. Cameron took Scott's masterpiece and infantilized it into Star Wars.
>>
>>62728800
Not him. But to me it just feels like a kinda bland action movie It's not bad or anything. But nothing to celebrate. I regard it the same I would something like Transporter 2 or Fast and Furious. A fun little action movie distraction between the more serious movies.
>>
>>62728800
It's a good movie to watch when you're 10-13, sure. I remember at that age I was bored by Alien but I loved Aliens. Now at 25 it's pretty much reversed.
>>
File: 1443445543659.jpg (26 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1443445543659.jpg
26 KB, 306x306
>>62728726
>I don't watch movies I watch films!
>>
>>62728901
The first one was just a horror movie.

Kinda like how you're just a faggot.
>>
>>62728984
If you know the distinction between the two categories of motion pictures and still pick "Movies" then you genuinely deserve to die.
>>
>>62728927
Thanks for your calm and rational response.
No need for agression like >>62728726
>>
>>62728999
So it went over your head and only were only able to comprehend the most superficial elements? About what I'd expect from an Aliens apologist.
>>
>>62729009
Don't slice yourself on that edge grandpa.
>>
>>62729009
He's saying it's stupid when people make those distinctions.
>>
>>62729028
>No need for agression
You're not on fucking reddit. There is no sitting on the fence to protect your upvote level here. If you have a belief you should argue it as strongly as possible without compromise until the other side backs down. If you do any less than you are enabling cultural trends that endanger your beliefs. I don't care what your cinema ideologies are for the purposes of this message, the fact that you would ever back down instead of protecting them to the end means you are fucking pathetic. If you care about art there should be no end to the lengths you'd go to protect it. I'd slit a fucking child's throat for cinema if it called for it. I'd cut off my own arms and legs.
>>
>>62729009
wew lad
>>
Anyone else feels like Alien(and Aliens for that matter) is a bit overrated?

There is no doubt in my mind that at the time it was fucking amazing since it was a bit of a pioneer in the genre. But these days it just isn't that scary, and without the horror aspect it has a limit to how enjoying it can be I think.
>>
>>62729031
What am I apologizing for? The entire series is bottom of the barrel, pleb bullshit. Always refreshing to see someone try to act like a movie expert over the most accessible, mainstream nonsense, though.
>>
>>62729110
The atmosphere and direction is still amazing.

The only flaw of the movie is how shitty it looks when the alien is blown out into space
>>
>>62729064
You'd have to be a brain dead coward to bury your head in the sand and dismiss those completely valid distinctions.
>made for art
>made for money (some low level artistic elements possible)
>made for money (contains zero artistic elements, actively degenerate)

All motion pictures will fall into one of these 3 categories. if you think it's just an empty meme then you'd have to be legitimately retarded.
>>
File: 1446346432542.jpg (50 KB, 229x389) Image search: [Google]
1446346432542.jpg
50 KB, 229x389
>>62729099
>I'd slit a fucking child's throat for cinema if it called for it. I'd cut off my own arms and legs.
>>
Alien>>>>>Aliens>>>Prometheus>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Alien:R>>Alien 3

I get why people might like Alien 3, but I kind of hate it
>>
>>62727355
Depends what you're after.

Aliens is worth watching if you want to see a James Cameron action sequel to Alien. It's pretty good.

Alien 3 is worth watching if you want to see Alien if it were a thriller, or if you want to take a look at David Fincher's first feature-length film. It's not a very good movie, though.

Alien: Resurrection is worth watching if you want to see an actual science-fiction film featuring the xenomorph, or if you care to see one of the first movies that Joss Whedon ever wrote. It's a terrible movie, though.

AvP is worth watching if you want to see an Alien fighting a Predator with some humans caught in the middle. Not a great movie.

AvPR is worth watching if you seriously just don't give a shit and will watch anything with an Alien in it. Terrible movie.

Prometheus is worth watching if you want to see Ridley Scott do another movie in the same universe as Alien. It's also much more of a sci-fi than Alien. It's also not a great movie.
>>
>>62729150
>The atmosphere and direction is still amazing.
True. It's what kept me watching, it's just not a movie I would recommend to people if they want a "film" experience. It's a movie I would recommend if they want to experience some film history.
>>
>>62729209
> it's just not a movie I would recommend to people if they want a "film" experience. It's a movie I would recommend if they want to experience some film history.
That's because you have the sensibilities of a 16 year old. Maybe you'lll appreciate it more when you mature. Or maybe the video game mindset will keep hold of you for good, and you'll forever remain infantile about the medium. Only time will tell.
>>
>>62729203
I kinda liked Prometheus.

But I just don't know what the fuck he was thinking. It's like he wrote the script in a weekend and spent even less time casting it.

Like the only really good thing about it was Fassbender.
>>
>>62728726
Ahahaha check this faggot.
>>
File: 1442743416405.jpg (71 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
1442743416405.jpg
71 KB, 384x313
>>62729261
>Getting this mad about me calling a not so scary horror movie a bit lackluster
>>
File: 1414353123912.jpg (688 KB, 1452x3020) Image search: [Google]
1414353123912.jpg
688 KB, 1452x3020
>>62727355
>>
>>62727355
Alien (9/10) > Aliens (8/10) > Predator (8/10) > Predators (7/10) > Alien3 (6/10) > AVP (6/10) > Predator2 (6/10) > Prometheus (5/10) > Alien Resurrection (4/10) > AVPR (2/10)
>>
>>62727410
Alien 3 is shit, even resurrection is more entertaining.
>>
>>62728605
The 2010 predators is not bad
>>
>>62729321
Sci-fi: Promethus and Alien: Resurrection
Horror: Alien
Action: Aliens, Predator, Predator 2, Predators, AvP, AvPR
Thriller: Alien3
>>
>>62729342
fuck off you buzzword spouting meme hustler and get Joss Wedon's dick out of your mouth.
>>
Aliens is pretty fun.
Prometheus is aesthetically pleasing. Michael Fassbender does a fantastic job in his role. None of the characters in the movie act rationally and the writing is pretty shit. I do watch yearly though for the above mentioned points; it's comfy and fun to make fun of the characters and the plot.
>Fassbender literally pulls a ladder out of nowhere.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 528x528) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 528x528
>>62728726
>I'd like to see you get hacked to death by a machete. I know you think that's some throwaway edgy statement, but I genuinely mean it. The world would be a better place if every enemy of art like yourself was brutally murdered. I can just imagine your cheeto dust stained arm rising in front of your face to protect yourself, only for the blade to cut straight through your flesh and bone. Aliens is one of the greatest atrocities in cinema history. If you disagree with this statement then you're in the wrong fucking place.
>>
File: alien.gif (435 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
alien.gif
435 KB, 500x213
>>62727355
Yes. I love the whole series, even 3 and Resurrection for some reason. If you love the first movie then you should at least watch the rest of the series to see how the whole thing plays out. By the series I also mean Alien through Alien Resurrection. The AvP movies aren't canon and they are absolute garbage. Remember though, for each Alien movie there is an alternate version. Take note of which ones you watch. For Alien, the theatrical is better than the DC. For Aliens, the SE is far better than the theatrical so it's highly recommended. Most people here will tell you the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 is better but it's mostly just a whole bunch of extra religious bullshit. The theatrical is fine. For Resurrection, it doesn't matter. I don't remember being much different at all.

>>62728605
Yes, the AvP movies are that bad if not worse and the Predator series I'd say it's ok to stop after 2, but none of the Predator movies after 1 are any good at all.
>>
>>62729387
>calls me out for using buzzwords(?)
>uses the word "meme"

Fuck off retard, 3 is irredeemable shit.
>>
Alien 1-3 are the only ones worth watching. Number 4 is really fucked / stupid, with some memorably bad dialogue and creatures. If you like Winona Ryder or Ron Perlman its a must watch. Also the fourth one had a cool website at the time.... I guess there is a reason there is no Alien 5. All AVP = Shit.
Prometheus is a bigger budget copy of AVP. Total shit. AVP2 is the worst in the entire universe.
>>
>>62729331
I can't stand seeing people mention predator in the same list as Alien. I mean I can understand why people would measure it alongside Aliens, since despite being a bad movie, it has a direct connection, but Predator is fucking capeshit. It only speaks to how fucked the franchise became they they ever became associated together.

It would be like if Blade Runner had a series of increasingly terrible sequels and then eventually it ended up being ranked against Waterworld. I don't care about your "muh based comfy arnie video games comfy bro". It's entertainment garbage.
>>
>>62729393
Look long and hard at that image and tell me sincerely that the man depicted wouldn't enjoy Aliens. He probably has the action figures and comic books in that room just out of frame.
>>
>>62729472
How is Predator capeshit? The movie came years before the comics.
And they're associated together because they're set in the same universe.
Alien has just as much a connection to Predator as it does to Prometheus.

If Blade Runner was shown to be in the same universe as Waterworld, then yes, absolutely they would be discussed in the same conversation as each other.
Why is that hard to wrap your head around?
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 263x263) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 263x263
>>62729505
>Look long and hard at that image and tell me sincerely that the man depicted wouldn't enjoy Aliens. He probably has the action figures and comic books in that room just out of frame.
>>
>>62729449
#3 is cool. It has a lot of symbolism. It went back to having one Alien. All the effects in the movie are very good. The actors aren't that great obviously. Its better than sitting through 4 or anything after it. I think after Alien 3 or maybe Fight Club Fincher's art style went to shit and started overwhelming the movie.
>>
>>62729553
>And they're associated together because they're set in the same universe.
It's a fucking insult to Alien that they retroactively became part of the same universe. Also "UNIVERSE" the worst term in the cinematic language. Fuck your universe. Fuck your fucking toy franchise action figure production line BULLSHIT UNIVERSE.

No other term speaks to the comic book manchild infantilization of this medium more than universe.
>>
>>62729472
Yeah, I'll say it too. The Predator universe simply didn't deserve to share a universe with the Alien universe. Compare the best Predator movie to the best or even second best Alien movie. They aren't in the same league. Alien is like the defending Super Bowl champions and Predator is like the runners-up in the Grey Cup.
>>
>>62729449
Plebish cunt.
>>
>>62729553
They may be in the same universe in Predator canon but they aren't in Alien canon. It was the Predator series that kept insisting it was involved in the Alien universe, not the other way around.
>>
>>62727410
>liking 3
shiggydiggy
>>
>tfw ridley raped this mystery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmTKsexYWzM
>>
>>62727355
Just for everyone's frame of reference:
IMDb:
1. Alien (8.5/10) - enjoyed most by Males >45
2. Aliens (8.4/10) - enjoyed most by Males <18 and Males 30-44
3. Predator (7.8/10) - enjoyed most by Males 30-44
4. Prometheus (7.0/10) - enjoyed most by Males <18
5. Alien3 (6.4/10) - enjoyed most by Females <18 and Males 30-44
6. Predators (6.4/10) - enjoyed most by Males <18
7. Alien: R (6.3/10) - enjoyed most by Females 18-29
8. Predator 2 (6.2/10) - enjoyed most by Females <18
9. Alien v Pred (5.6/10) - enjoyed most by Females >45
10. Alien v Pred:R (4.7/10) - enjoyed most by Females <18
>>
>>62729553
And yet you guys will be just fine with Scott putting Blade Runner and Alien in the same universe. Hypocrites.
>>
>>62729696
3 is a bad movie but it can be supported artistically. The fact that Newt and Hicks were killed offscreen between movies is such an incredible fuck you to the retards who liked Aliens is enough to make me glad it was made.

No Alien sequel should have been made, but since there was one, Alien 3 was a necessary artistic band aid to restore at least a small amount of integrity to the series. That was until Alien Resurrection and AvP, at this point the series is just a lost cause and any attempts to "fix" it are only making it worse.
>>
>>62729730
>9. Alien v Pred (5.6/10) - enjoyed most by Females >45
Fucking lol'd
>>
>>62729777
>And yet you guys will be just fine with Scott putting Blade Runner and Alien in the same universe. Hypocrites.
Stop projecting your bullshit. That is fucking retarded. Not that you can even take it seriously enough to be annoyed by it. Scott obviously doesn't give a shit. He should have left both films alone. Nothing is worthy of any consideration past Blade Runner and Alien. The rest is cash grabbing meddling. Doesn't matter what Scott says now. He's just a hack shamelessly exploiting what made him good all those years ago.

I'm not a star wars fan, but he's no different to prequel triology Lucas now in the eyes of the people who care about those movies. If he wants to go back now and expand on the work he did in his prime then he may as well be telling me about midicholarians.
>>
>>62729777
I hate that one too because no one ever asks, where would Philip K. Dick's opinion have mattered in that? What if he said fuck that, my story's universe is not the same as the Alien one. Who's opinion would have mattered more? I think PKD's.
>>
>>62729934
Yeah, agreed. I think it's retarded.

>>62729904
Right, so now the discussion's just degenerated into saying that Scott has become terrible and none of it even matters. So why get so worked up over it?

I also think Aliens and Predators in the same universe are retarded. I wasn't saying for one second that anything past the first Alien is good, I was just saying that they share a continuity... because they do. It's not a matter of opinion, they fucking do.
>>
File: 1433257870008.jpg (42 KB, 368x500) Image search: [Google]
1433257870008.jpg
42 KB, 368x500
>>62728726
You so maaaad
>>
File: 1440711527252.jpg (17 KB, 288x293) Image search: [Google]
1440711527252.jpg
17 KB, 288x293
>>62729099
>>
>>62729449
Looks like someone hasn't seen the DC.
>>
File: 1433688583049.jpg (12 KB, 320x244) Image search: [Google]
1433688583049.jpg
12 KB, 320x244
>>62729371
True
>>
>>62729997
If I made a shitty movie and then made reference to the fact that it took place in the same universe as The Godfather at the end would I expect anybody to take that seriously? Of course not. That's what Predator 2 did. And the Alien franchise was in such a sorry state that it embraced it. It's all manchild masturbation. The very concept of the "continuity" is just comic book horse shit. The "continuity" is the moment they stop being works of art and become toy line franchises.

My point is that manchildren and hacks shouldn't have any authority in terms of implicating a masterpiece into their pit of degeneracy. And nor should the creator of that masterpiece have any authority at this point, since he is now a hack. This garbage doesn't deserve the legitimization that comes with being mentioned alongside Alien.
>>
>>62730140
The AvP comics began over a year before Predator 2 hit theatres. It was a reference to something that had already started, not just a cute little nod.

Other than that, I agree with everything you've said. Not really sure what we're arguing about anymore. I think we both agree that Scott now sucks, the difference is that you are treating him as a new person since he became shit.
>>
>>62729266
Damon
Lindeloff
That's why it isn't as good, look at the script it should have been, it would've been at least better than everything after Aliens.(Still enjoyed the movie tho)
>>
File: alg-jesse-ventura-jpg.jpg (122 KB, 970x720) Image search: [Google]
alg-jesse-ventura-jpg.jpg
122 KB, 970x720
>>62729553

If you watched Predator, you would be a sexual tyrannosaur like me.
>>
>>62729472
>predator
>capeshit
...wha? Are we just calling all action movies capeshit now?
>>
>>62730376
Any cinema where the goal is "entertainment" is at least made with a capeshit sensibility if not an example of outright capeshit.
>>
>>62730396
You try way too hard to fit in here.
>>
>>62730396
pls die meme
>>
>>62730340
but he's not. he's a slack-jawed faggot.
>>
>>62729797
Well considering Alien 5 is supposed to retcon everything after Aliens, its fine.

At least until Blomkamp puts Die Antwoord in it
>>
>>62730440
>Well considering Alien 5 is supposed to retcon everything after Aliens, its fine.
Aliens is a terrible film. Blomkamp is a terrible director. Honestly I think him going back to made a fan fiction sequel to Aliens is just about the worst thing that could possible happen to the franchise at this point.
>>
File: alieyums.jpg (231 KB, 423x600) Image search: [Google]
alieyums.jpg
231 KB, 423x600
>>62727355 (OP)
Keep in mind that all the movies are made by different people sans the main actress, they all have different mindsets without much of a canon, it should be seen as an anthology with continuity, each one coming up with excuses to justify it's plot.

Also, every movie introduces things about the aliens that shouldn't be applied to the previous ones on their own. The alien in the original was not part of an insect-like hive and wasn't called a xenomorph, the aliens in the second one couldn't take traits based on the species of their hosts, characters die for good in the third one, and there are no predators in any of these.

Prometheus has the same director from the original but it's meant to go in a different direction, like a spin-off. It's only lightly connected to the original and the sequels will probably be less so. Don't expect them to care about the Alien sequels since Ridley Scott had nothing to do with them.
>>
>>62730467
Well they delayed his film coming out till after Prometheus 2, and apparently he wants to make it based around horror again. So if Blomkamp actually fucking tries like he did for District 9, maybe just maybe we could have a good Alien movie again. (Doubt it but oh well)
>>
>>62730140
>That's what Predator 2 did. And the Alien franchise was in such a sorry state that it embraced it.
Wait, when was the Alien series in a sorry state? When Predator 2 came out? Alien and Aliens were the entire series in 1990 and those movies were extremely highly acclaimed. And who embraced it? I don't remember any of the creative minds behind the Alien series expressing their support for welcoming Predator into their universe.

As a side note, even though Predator 2 started the whole Alien/Predator crossover/comparisons thing by showing an alien skull in the predators' trophy case, I don't blame the movie for starting that shit because I think the creators were just being sort of tongue-in-cheek. I think they just wanted to know how many fans would catch that little reference and think it was clever or whatever. I highly doubt they thought it would take off into its own complete spinoff universe.
>>
Avp
Aliens

That's it

3 is boring and 4 is absolute fucking shit its ridiculous how joss whedon is still allowed to make.movies for established ips
>>
File: 1447534560934.png (333 KB, 579x568) Image search: [Google]
1447534560934.png
333 KB, 579x568
>>62727355
just watch them all you faggot

what else do you have to do? cure fucking cancer?
>>
File: ripley:call.jpg (72 KB, 800x539) Image search: [Google]
ripley:call.jpg
72 KB, 800x539
>>62729469
>If you like Winona Ryder or Ron Perlman its a must watch.
That scene though. We all remember it.
>>
File: laugh.gif (3 MB, 190x200) Image search: [Google]
laugh.gif
3 MB, 190x200
>>62729099
>>
>>62729342
No it really isn't

Alien 3 had some issues but is a decent enough movie in its own way and fits with the others in the series.

Alien Res was just fucking shit in every way, it was a like a family friendly Alien movie that lacked any of what made the first 3 good.
>>
>>62730619
Again, Predator 2 did not start it. The AVP comics began early 1989.
>>
>>62730967
Alien Res was shit, I agree, but it fucking was not family friendly.
>>
>>62730999
It's a saturday morning cartoon for 12 year olds except it happens to have violence.
>>
>>62729797
>The fact that Newt and Hicks were killed offscreen between movies is such an incredible fuck you to the retards who liked Aliens is enough to make me glad it was made.

This is oddly my fave thing about Alien 3.

Everyone cried over it ruining Aliens "happy ending" but these films and the universe aren't exactly happy to begin with, and Alien 3 just drives that point home even more.

Aliens was good but even as a kid I thought the happy ending was too happy and cheesy for the tone of the series.
>>
>>62730973
Oh, who gives a shit, comic books don't count.
>>
>>62731037
Wait, Aliens had a happy ending? Since when did people think Aliens ended happily? Because a few people survived after having lost pretty much everything?
>>
>>62730619
>>62731080
The Alien vs. Predator comic was a huge success and it put Dark Horse on the map, so the movie "Predator 2" made a little nod to it in the form of the alien skull.
>>
>>62731122
The hero, the hero's love interest, and the child survived. That's as happy as most action movies end.
Also Bishop
>>
>>62731122
It ended with Hicks, Ripley and Newt all fine, a perfect happy little family, which is nice as Ripley had just lost her daughter whilst she was adrift in space, Newt and Hicks allow her a second chance at a family, a happy ending.
>>
>>62729797
>>62731037
>>62731122
>>62731175
>>62731228
Real Alien 3 coming through.
https://youtu.be/hoRrZ3WCZD8
>>
>>62731274
I'm sorry, but 10 seconds in and this is already reddit as fuck. Never post here again.
>>
>>62731164
That's nice but it doesn't matter because comic books don't count.

>>62731175
Yeah after having lost all their families, friends, and being left with nothing or even a proper home to return to. That's not happy. Plenty of action movies don't end that dark.

Also
>the hero's love interest
Let's clear this up. Hicks and Ripley had showed slight signs of fondness for each other and were probably more closely attached to each other than anyone else aside from Ripley and Newt. That's far from being a full fledged love interest, though. Their last dialogue ever is them only finding out each other's first names. The whole idea that Ripley and Hicks and Newt would have gone back home to Earth and become a family and live happily ever after was the fan fiction ending. The movie itself never implied anything like that was going to happen. I can see how people might reach for that ending, but it's still fan bullshit.
>>
>>62731228
>a perfect happy little family
>Newt and Hicks allow her a second chance at a family, a happy ending
When are people going to drop this fan fiction ending that was never solidified in the movie itself. Oh, wait, is this what happens in the comic books or something?
>>
>>62731453
It was SORT OF in the comics. The first couple of Aliens comics had Hicks adopt Newt and them going all Lone Wolf and Cub, fighting Aliens
>>
>>62731494
Damn, I was only joking, too. Seriously, fuck the comics then.
>>
>>62731453
Nope, never read any of the comic books, I just figured it was a pretty obvious outcome, they had more dialogue than just exchanging names.

Its more of a semi implied thing thats not exactly far fetched, or would you rather they spoonfed you by showing an actual marriage scene and then hicks playing on the swings with newt as the family dog runs around chasing a frisbee etc ?
>>
>>62731554
>they had more dialogue than just exchanging names
And none of it as far as I can remember was romantically inclined in any way.

>Its more of a semi implied thing thats not exactly far fetched, or would you rather they spoonfed you by showing an actual marriage scene and then hicks playing on the swings with newt as the family dog runs around chasing a frisbee etc ?
What I would rather happen is people stop acting like their version of their fill in the blank ending is the nauseatingly happy ending because it doesn't seem that way.

I mean, live and let live, that's totally fine. Believe the made up ending that you believe is the actual one, but the one I saw is:

>Ripley
All her family is dead and life will never be the same because she's been away from Earth for 57 years.
>Newt
Family is dead.
>Hicks
Squad mates are dead.

Potential future implications aside, it is not an ending I would call "happy." Maybe we just define the word differently.
>>
>>62731742
One more thing I'll add to this is at the end of the credits you can hear a facehugger scuttling around in the ship. That alone should have implied that it probably wasn't supposed to be the peaches and cream ending people apparently seem to think it was.
>>
>>62731381
How do comics not count or not matter when the popularity of the original Alien vs. Predator comic is what caused everything?
The comic introduced the idea to the world; it's the reason there is an Alien skull in Predator 2; it came up with the formula used in other comics, almost all video games and the first movie (Predators forcing the Alien Queen to lay eggs among other things); and the 2004 movie took several elements from it.
That you don't read them doesn't mean they don't matter.
>>
File: adamsandler.jpg (22 KB, 287x400) Image search: [Google]
adamsandler.jpg
22 KB, 287x400
Reminder that Prometheus is better than Starship Troo- I mean, Aliens
>>
>>62731366
Ok.
>>
File: file.png (537 KB, 505x650) Image search: [Google]
file.png
537 KB, 505x650
Recommend some more sci-fi thriller/horror movies. I just watched pic related and while it wasn't great it opened my appetite for more slow moving, atmospheric sci-fi.
>>
File: 1434929300496.gif (2 MB, 350x242) Image search: [Google]
1434929300496.gif
2 MB, 350x242
>>62728726
You should kill yourself.
>>
>>62735579
The only one I can think of right now is Galaxy of Terror. It was an Alien cash in but it had some great moments.
>>
I watched like 30 minutes of alien 3, couldn't see anymore of it, it was just so dumb, just play Alien Isolation
>>
>>62736425
>I couldn't watch an art film
>so I went to play a literal video game.
The hot pocket fedora clad intellectual degeneracy is strong.
>>
>>62729110
This. While 2001 shine all around, Alien triumph was horror. And for me, it sucked at that.
>>
>>62735579
>>62736349
Also Xtro, though don't expect it to make much sense.
>>
>>62730908

This. I was hard as diamonds in every scene with Ryder and Weaver together.
>>
File: alien raiders.jpg (140 KB, 346x500) Image search: [Google]
alien raiders.jpg
140 KB, 346x500
>>62735579
Alien Raiders maybe.
It's better if you watch the videos recorded by the characters in the dvd extras afterwards.
>>
File: hello reddit.jpg (678 KB, 3192x2124) Image search: [Google]
hello reddit.jpg
678 KB, 3192x2124
>>62728800
>>62728984
>>62729028
>>62729296
>>62729393
>>62730004
>>62736318
normans falling for the b8
>>
take a look at pre-alien times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOIBT7Fj9sE
>>
Fucking /tv/ hipsters. Alien is horror and Aliens is suspense/action, quite possibly one of the best ever made and still holds up to this day. One of my favorite movies of all time, regardless of genre. I've shown it to countless people, many millennials who didn't even know it existed and are still blown away by it. You must watch Aliens. The rest can be ignored. If you want to experience AvP, then read the original Dark Horse comics or the novel adaption. Those were both amazing.
>>
>>62739723
Whoops, what I meant was Alien and Aliens are different types of movies and are both excellent at what they do. Watch them and enjoy. The other movies are entertaining like car wrecks; watch them but understand that they complete shit.
>>
rate my tattoo. keep in mind it was for $50
>>
No, Alien is the only one worth watching
>>
Alien 3 is fucking terrible. It's a grimdark soulless movie with zero fun to be had

Resurrection sucks, but at least it's silly and campy as fuck, and the alien-human hybrid is a cool idea in theory even if it looked like shit
>>
>>62727410
>Alien3
>enjoyed most by Females <18
>and Males 30-44
Is Fincher based or what
>>
>>62739971
Alien 3 is the contrarian hipster movie, even Fincher fucking hates it to the point it nearly made him quit filmmaking
>>
>>62739940
pretty cool for 50
>>
>>62739969
>alien 3 is fucking terriblrr muh fucking grim dark
>females under 18 even have better taste in film than you
>>
>>62739977
ayy thanks, was expecting..well you know what I was expecting
>>
>>62739976
Of course he says that because he was miserable an te studio did everything they coul to ruin the film. But it got the tone correct. And that probably because filming put Fincher through the shit. Directors cut or whatever is cool
>>
>>62740010
You know Fincher had no involvement with the assembly cut right? It was something Fox threw together for the Quadrilogy release so every movie could have an extended cut. Fincher refused to be involved

If you like the assembly cut you're saying fox made a better movie than Fincher did
>>
Aliens > Alien > Alien 3 >>>>>> Going Outside >>>>> Alien Resurrection

Aliens is a better scifi action film than Alien is a scifi horror. Alien 3 suffers in comparison to Alien but is still decent taken on its own. Alien Resurrection looks exactly how you'd imagine a once-proud IP would look if Joss Whedon got to write it and replaced Ripley with a superpowered Alien-Human hybrid that quips constantly and turned lesbian for some reason.
>>
>>62728726
>you're in the wrong fucking place
Stopped reading there
>>
>>62739940

>Yo wachu' want?
>Gimme dat 50$ permanent swirly turd looking motherfucker
>Say no more famsky
>>
>>62728605
AVP1 is okay... like, it's not very good at all, but it's eh. Kinda like Predators re: how much they rape the canon, but Predators is an overall better movie between the two
>>
>>62729449
This. Alien 3 veered WAY off course and was a giant kick in the balls for every fan of the franchise. Aliens was the natural progression of Alien. But in 3 it's like "Haha, all of Ripleys effort to save everyone was a total waste because they died anyway! ENJOY!". Fuck everything about that movie.
>>
>>62727355
>the original alien
>worth watching
>>
>>62739976
I think it was more the experience of working in terrible studio conditions that made him want to quit film making than the final product itself. Not that he doesn't hate it, but I'll bet it has more to do with the movie reminding him of the terrible time it was making it. Plenty of film makers have that one movie or so that they just like to ignore. I'll bet if he had any creative control whatsoever he'd have thought more fondly of it.

>>62732302
It's a film series where outside shit doesn't matter. If you want to think of it as a spinoff universe, that's cool, so do I. It has no bearing on the original quadrilogy however. People retconing shit in another medium doesn't mean the source material has to include it in its canon. In fact, AvP contradicts things in Alien entirely and doesn't make sense with the movie series.
>>
>>62731080
>Spider-Man is an original movie from an original concept because comic books don't count
AvP is a fucking comic book story, and the AvP movies are adapted from it. How fucking retarded are you?
>>
>>62740738
But the original source material for Spiderman was a comic book. Alien's source material was not. You might want to go back and read that again before you sperg out too hard.
>>
why is there no r34 of vasquez?
>>
>>62728605
AvP 1 is great
>>
>>62740738
I acknowledge it being its own spinoff universe, but what it is not is part of Alien's own universe which has reiterated to me multiple times now. Just because a comic was made combining the two creatures and movies were made after it does not mean Alien accepts Predator into its own universe. That's been the point the entire time if you'd bothered to read the thread.
>>
>>62740982
what are you eveb arguing? that Predator 2 came up with the concept for avp because the comics that already did it dont count? how is it even up for debate? They came first.
>>
>>62740982
So the franchise is only restricted to one medium? Does that mean there is no capeshit that counts as a movie, because the original source material are comics?
Does it mean that Jaws or Blade Runner don't count as movies because they're based on novels?
Or is it only Dark Horse's AvP comic books that deserve to be ignored?

>>62741250
I never argued against that, I'm arguing against the one statement here, >>62730619
>Predator 2 started the whole Alien/Predator crossover/comparisons thing
Which was also here >>62730140
>If I made a shitty movie and then made reference to the fact that it took place in the same universe as The Godfather at the end would I expect anybody to take that seriously? Of course not. That's what Predator 2 did.

I have said over and over in this thread that I think Alien and Predator in the same universe is retarded and that I don't consider the AvP movies canon. The only thing I am taking issue with is you refusing to credit the initial idea for AvP to the comic-book writers who actually came up with the concept. Predator 2 did not come up with the idea of the two alien species fighting. And you arguing that point is fucking moronic.
>>
>>62727355
Part 3 is the only one that is shit. AVP2 isn't that good but worth watching once.
>>
>>62741395
The statement before said that the Alien universe was in a sorry state and accepted Predator in its universe. This is complete bullshit and that is what I was originally responding to. I'll also admit that I wasn't aware the comics started the AvP thing. I thought Predator 2 was the first, so I concede that AvP is its own spinoff universe.

>So the franchise is only restricted to one medium?

Now on this point I would say every series is different but the original source and its medium should usually count before all else. If the original creators of something say later materials shouldn't count, then for the most part they probably shouldn't.

>>62741394
I'll say this one more time. Everything I said about the comic books not counting was response to AvP comics not having any bearing on the Alien universe (which has been pushed ITT) and therefore do not count as Alien canon.
>>
>>62740074
>and turned lesbian for some reason
Because when you have still hot Sigourney Weaver and Winona Ryder on the cast who could resist including at least one strange sexy quasi-lesbian scene?
>>
File: 3res.png (212 KB, 1077x304) Image search: [Google]
3res.png
212 KB, 1077x304
So which is actually worse, Alien 3 or Alien: Resurrection? I love both of them for some reason and I still juggle with which one I (dis)like more. The score in 3 was more memorable but AR had a much better cast. Ripley was much more "herself" in 3 but AR felt more like an "Alien" movie. It's hard to choose sometimes. I think both are so good and so bad for so many reasons.
>>
File: 1434844176028.jpg (99 KB, 530x530) Image search: [Google]
1434844176028.jpg
99 KB, 530x530
>>62727410
>Alien 3 > Aliens

not tricking me ruseman
>>
File: 1430927518366.jpg (365 KB, 2000x1087) Image search: [Google]
1430927518366.jpg
365 KB, 2000x1087
>>62728726
Lol you for real bra?
>>
>>62742130
I always liked both of them as well and never really understood the amount of hate they got. Alien 3 is a worst movie from a production standpoint imo. The whole thing was a complete trainwreck and it definitely shows. It still managed to have a nice claustrophobic feel to it and some memorable moments, and the ending would have been a perfect end to the series. That's why Resurrection feels forced, but if you can get past the stupid premise, some annoying characters and messing with the Alien lore(but who cares at this point, Prometheus fucked it up so badly), it has some interesting visuals. I personally like 3 better though.
>>
Aliens is good. Definitely worth watching.

Resurrection, AVP, and AVP: Requiem are dumb entertaining action movies. I wouldn't even consider them worth watching but if you like the franchise it wouldn't hurt to check them out as well. Resurrection has some good moments though.

Prometheus is dull, and doesn't really do anything right in terms of story. It's kind of pointless, but a competently made movie. Again, if you like the franchise might as well check it out.

Alien 3 on the other hand is so bad it's not even worth watching for any reason. It's not even entertaining in a "it's so bad" kind of way. You have people who will go on about how the assembly cut is watchable, or that the film is actually good, but these are contrarian faggots who are not to be taken seriously. The movie is so bad David Fincher disowned it. The assembly cut just makes a pile of shit less shitty.
>>
>>62741907
It's Joss Whedon. It clearly wasn't meant to be hot, it was meant to be empowering. Ripley was a stronk independent Queen of Blades who don't need no Corporal Hicks!
>>
>>62742337
>some annoying characters
Are you talking about Vriess? Be honest. I seriously didn't find him to be that bad.
>>
>>62742455
I get all that but the thought doesn't count here. It was hot anyway. Are you saying it wasn't hot? I got rock hard t b h f a m.
>>
>>62742378
More like the Assembly Cut makes the movie longer than it needs to be
>>
>>62729110
It was 1979. All of that set was built and sculpted. No cgi. The whole movie really is a work of art. Still looks better than a lot of shit that is put out now days. Hands down my favorite film ever.

Side note: anyone play Alien:Isolation? They captured the atmosphere of the first movie perfectly.
>>
File: 12000000.jpg (7 KB, 127x168) Image search: [Google]
12000000.jpg
7 KB, 127x168
>it's a i'm gonna rewatch alien 3 and try to convince myself that i like it for the tenth time day
>>
>>62743729
Alien: Isolation is easily the scariest video-game of all time, and I've played Amnesia.
it had a bit of a shitty ending, but a great game. I loved that 1970's vision of the future with the CRT monitors and bulky computers.
>>
File: no.gif (986 KB, 504x202) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
986 KB, 504x202
>>62729110
>Anyone else feels like Alien(and Aliens for that matter) is a bit overrated?
No.

>without the horror aspect
Without what horror aspect? It was great.
>>
>>62728726

Autists are ever so entertaining. ^O^
>>
File: 1447368239769.jpg (41 KB, 640x616) Image search: [Google]
1447368239769.jpg
41 KB, 640x616
>>62744681
>the fact is that it started with the comics wich ended up having a profound impact on how people see the Aliens by coming up with the idea of pairing them with the Predators and eventually inspiring a movie.
This was already acknowledged in one of these posts and it was established that the point was that AvP was being lumped into Alien canon wrongfully. This isn't hard to understand.
>>
>>62729110
Alien? No. One of my all time favourite movies, the suspense and pace of the film is great.
Aliens? Yeah, a bit. The thing is, its really dated. Its so obviously made in the 80's. That said I still think its great. Perfect action packed ending.
Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.