[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
any opinion?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: brazil.jpg (42 KB, 352x500) Image search: [Google]
brazil.jpg
42 KB, 352x500
any opinion?
>>
A good film.
>>
It's Brazil
>>
A bad cinema
>>
A great movie
>>
>>62723632

...but great film
>>
extremely overrated.

seperately, if any flick can be described as "reddit-tier" this is it.
>>
>>62723580
The best dystopian movie. I don't think it's very deep, but it makes up for that in spades with the production design, which is fucking legendary. Gilliam is an expert at capturing the banality of evil and the feeling of insignificance inside a system outside one's control, taken to cosmic extremes in 12 Monkeys.
>>
A spectacular flick
>>
>i'll make every character a huge idiot caricature

>LOOK AT HOW STUPID THEY ALL ARE! ISNT IS FUNNY!

>but you didn't make any compelling characters

>ITS SATIRE BRO, ITS SATIRE
>>
Style over substance.
>>
>Salt?
>>
tried to get my friend to watch it

"it's a commentary on bureaucracy"
NOPE

watches Maze runner and Jurassic world instead
>>
File: Brazil 1985 baby face mask.jpg (34 KB, 650x350) Image search: [Google]
Brazil 1985 baby face mask.jpg
34 KB, 650x350
Good movie but Terry Gilliam's style of movie making is pretty weird and not everyone will enjoy it.
>>
>>62723680
reminder that being a literal retard to bait people is still being a literal retard
>>
>>62723680
I'M TYPING IN ALL CAPS
>>
File: 1447275268268.gif (2 MB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
1447275268268.gif
2 MB, 380x380
>>62723646
>>
>>62723580

>>62723705
I found Palin's character genuinely frightening in that scene the first time I saw it, the mask's disconcerting enough but his businesslike manner is just so utterly real compared to the cartoony nature of pretty much everyone in the movie (including himself up until that scene) that it's like a punch to the gut.

Also the scene preceding it, where Sam has his charges etc. listed to him whilst the rooms he's shuttled between get more and more abattoir-like and the screaming gets louder and closer is pretty fucking unsettling. When Gilliam was younger and got down to brass tacks and had a reasonable budget behind him he could be a pretty formidable force. I don't think many directors on his level of prominence are unhinged enough to do things the way he did.

>>62723704
get new friends
>>
>>62723580
GOAT soundtrack by Micheal Kamen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhPQBMxLfA
>>
>>62723580
I liked the style of the movie and the overall retro-futuristic look. I thought the plot was a bit hard to follow at points. I didn't find the movie to be that funny but I also don't like that whole Monty Python style humor. I liked the ending of the movie. The whole contrast between the coldness of reality and his fantasies was interesting.
>>
also a fucking great opening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmSBtDLgBSQ

>>62723940
how, the plot is simple as hell
>bureaucratic slip-up happens
>incompetent government is blaming all slip-up on terrorists
>man sent to fix slip-up and the woman he talks to both accused of terrorism
>man implicates them further by accident
>they get slightly rekt
>>
>>62723580
I didn't like it. The film needed a good editor to clean up the film, too many scenes and characters felt unneeded, such as Robert DeNiro characters.
>>
>>62724206
>one of the most densely imagined dystopias of all time
>"let's not spend any time on world-building at all"
>>
>>62724141
>>they get slightly rekt
he was lobotomized and she was killed.
>>
>>62724233
I just thought a lot of the scenes didn't go anywhere, such as the indignant plumbers, DeNiro's character and the giant Shogun warrior.

I didn't hate the film, I just thought it was so disjointed and messy.
>>
>>62724233

this is one of the densest movies of all time, its like pottery.
>>
>>62724300
DeNiro's character was world-building, he's depicted as the hero of some other story that's going on at the same time as Sam's more banal one, that's why they had a massive A-lister do the role

The shogun warrior was dreamy wackiness, the plumbers are just comic relief. Gilliam is famed for a 'throw-it-in' visual style, he literally just grabs garbage from outside the studio and arranges it on set, some of the costumes in The Zero Theorem were literally cut out of shower curtains they found in Budapest where they were filming.

It's not to everyone's taste but I'd say the editing was manic, perhaps, but not messy. And I've always thought the pacing was perfect, and that it's dense rather than disjointed. He's kind of a Marmite-y anyway.
>>
>>62724453
*a Marmite-y filmmaker
>>
>>62724286
he wasn't lobotomized.
he was tortured to make him confess.
however, he escaped into his delusion. and they gave up on him.
>>
>>62724967
*sniff* *sniff* he- er- escaped into his -er- dream scho to speak and then she is dead twice because she is a represnetation of his dream and fantasy and scho on. *tugs T-shirt* Buut the ending rasies erm important quesiotn I think, wich is to say wat are we to do with the giant pashtik penises, they go in my ass yes?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.