[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
So in The Empire Strikes Back, Luke flies in his X-Wing from Hoth to Dagobah. Then he flies it to Cloud City. Did he use a hyperdrive?

At the same time, Han and Leia fly the Millenium Falcon from Hoth to the asteroid belt and then to Cloud City. It is established as a major plot point that the Millenium Falcon's hyperdrive isn't working. So how did they get from Hoth to Bespin? In what seems like a very short amount of time. Is Bespin in the same solar system as Hoth? How fast can a ship go without a hyperdrive?
>>
>>62716101
xwing has hyperdrive

falcon is just really fast and I think bespin was the closest.
>>
Luke's Xwing has hyperdrive, but can't remember where I read that. Either way, it would take days to get anywhere because his hyperdrive computer is not nearly as good as the Falcon's. So how does Luke piss and shit along the way?
>>
>>62716138
hyper toilet
>>
Also the Millenium Falcon encounters Mynocks while inside the Space Slug. You can also see Mynocks in the background on Dagobah. Is the asteroid belt right near Dagobah?
>>
>>62716101

If I remember from the now non-canon EU the Bespin system was close as fuck to the Hoth system, just a nearby small backwater. Something else to remember is that Star Wars has always played fast and loose with distances and travel time. When the story demands characters get from A to B in an hour they do, when it demands that they get from A to B in a week they do.

A better question is how much time was spent in Empire Strikes Back because according to the logic of the screen play it was like 2 days from Hoth to Bespin for Han / Leia. If felt like Luke was training for weeks with Yoda. If not then luke had a grand total of a day's worth of Jedi training.
>>
>>62716175

And how did the astroid have enough gravity for them to walk around?
>>
>>62716175
yes

>>62716188
guess that's why Luke got his hand cut off.

>>62716214
big dense objects have stronger gravity.
>>
The small ship designed for nimble battles doesnt have the fuel for any of this, according to the cross section book

HE FUCKED UP
>>
>>62716175
How did the slug breath?
>>
>>62716138
Designated shitting cockpit
>>
He used the force
>>
>>62716273
space air.

>>62716264
its just a hyperdrive system. its a separate system. kind of like the jedi fighter and the hyperdrive link. its just interconnected on the xwing.
yes I'm guessing.
>>
>>62716188
>implying everywhere has the same time zone
do all planets spin at the same speed?
>>
All X Wings have hyper drive, they use them in Return of the Jedi if you don't remember to get to Endor

Yes they went to Bespin because it's a relatively close system, otherwise they would have just gone back to the rebel fleet
>>
File: space diner.jpg (34 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
space diner.jpg
34 KB, 600x400
>>62716138
>>
I think Han specifically says something like Bespin is just close enough for the falcon to make it without hyperdrive.
>>
>>62716101
The planets are all relatively close to each in the Galaxy but requires a hyperspace jump. Bespin and Hoth are in the same sector (Anoat) but Dagobah is a fair distance away. Probably took weeks for Han and Leia to get to Bespin at sub-light speeds while Luke only took hours to get to Dagobah. Hence why he has time for training with Yoda.
>>
>>62716175

Mynocks are common enough for han to know what they are offhand. They're probably all over the galaxy
>>
Mynocks!
>>
>>62716214
bigger asteroids are sometimes called proto-planets
some can be big enough to exert gravity
how realistic it is to encounter one with the same as on earth... I don't know
>>
File: 쇼리.webm (2 MB, 426x426) Image search: [Google]
쇼리.webm
2 MB, 426x426
>>62716101
>hyper drive

you silly goose, Star Wars ships only go as fast as light speed, Han says so in Ep IV. Star Wars exists in a pocket universe, the Death Star is only about an inch across from our perspective.
>>
There was a map that showed Hoth and Bespin being right next to each other.
This reminds me of something I thought of the other day, about it not being clearly how long traveling takes, even in hyperdrive. How long was Kenobi training Luke on the Millennium Falcon?
>>
Falcon slow boated it, which is how Fett and Vader got there first, they used their own drives.

X-Wing has hyperdrive. Even A-Wings have Hyper-Drive according to the new Star Wars: Rebels cartoon, which is considered canon.

Also, the last episode showed a prototype B-Wing firing a super laser similiar to the Death Star. Honestly, I don't think I like this change. The B-Wing was a gun boat with a narrow attack pattern, making it perfect to take down capital ships. It had greater firepower than a Y-Wing, was more maneuverable, has multiple weapon systems like Ion Cannons, and had a good attack spread like the X-Wings. It was literally the best of all worlds when compared to all fighters. So suddenly giving the B-Wing a super laser that could take out a corvette sized ship in two shots? Yeah, I don't like that.
>>
>>62716188
Both explain eachother. Hoth to Bespin was close, but not so close you could get there in a few days w/o hyperdrive. It obviously took weeks, during which time Han and Leia grew closer together, and Luke had time to train in Dagobah with Master Yoda to become a Jedi Knight.
>>
>>62716702
Always used spoilers when showing your power level.
>>
>>62716804

Eh, I played X-Wing a lot. Like, a lot, when I was younger.
>>
>>62716711
>It obviously took weeks

They wear the same clothes and their haircuts are exactly the same length as when they boarded the Falcon.
ESB has a slight problem with time.

>>62716188
>the Bespin system was close as fuck to the Hoth system

And Jakku should be nearby if those leaks that claim that Luke's lightsaber "fell" from Cloud City to it. Someone should calculate how close Jakku is if a lightsaber faling a t standard speed took 30 years to reach it. That's really fucking close.
>>
>>62717228
Han Solo is wearing the same clothes 30 years later
>>
File: 1445755855547.gif (2 MB, 350x243) Image search: [Google]
1445755855547.gif
2 MB, 350x243
>>62717228
How does lightsaber fall from cloud city onto a different planet???
>>
>>62717228

>They wear the same clothes and their haircuts are exactly the same length as when they boarded the Falcon.

time dilation guys, time dilation

the falcon was travelling at relativistic speeds in "normal" space (as opposed to hyperspace), Han and Leia experienced less passage of time than Luke did.
>>
>>62716101
backup hyperdrive, only at 1/12th the speed (still many orders of magnitutde faster than sublight)
>>
>>62716681
Doesn't it do .5 past light speed
>>
>>62716385
>No Nostromo
THEY FUCKED UP.
>>
>>62716101
You're a faggot, aren't you?
>>
>>62716101

He took a detour to Dagobah, didn't he? It wasn't so much far away as it was not where everyone else was going.
>>
Remember that Star Wars takes place in a Spiral Galaxy, much like our own, but that galaxies typically have star clusters. In a "group" like the Local group stars are typically separated by many lightyears. In a star cluster they are often separated by very few, often even less than one. A galaxy typically contains multiple clusters.

IRL these clusters would be irradiated as fuck but I don't expect Star Wars to give a shit about that.
>>
File: yotsuba gun.png (46 KB, 228x317) Image search: [Google]
yotsuba gun.png
46 KB, 228x317
>>62716138
>So how does Luke piss and shit along the way?
Why do you think R2D2 has a detachable head?
>>
In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes that same rib twice in succession yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we, to believe that this is some sort of a, a magic xylophone or something?
>>
File: sk02.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sk02.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>62716681
>the Death Star is only about an inch across from our perspective
woah
>>
>>62720551
wuds dis
>>
>>62720586
I think it's the same woman he posted
>>
>>62720626
ye boye
i mean like the YEEEEEE
>>
>>62720484
A wizard did it
>>
>>62720484
And in the theme song, it's pay-or-play contracts, not pay-for-play. Some people think it's "for", but it's "or". The close-captioning was wrong when it said "for". And in the "Pinky and the Brain" title, the Tokyo Movie Shinsha version, which is on ones, it has BH 90201, which is supposed to be BH — Beverly Hills — 90210 — how could they get that wrong??
>>
>>62717228
>>62717637
Word from the Star Wars exhibit at Disneyland is that it didn't fall all the way through Bespin. Someone salvaged it, probably a worker, from the depths of Cloud City's industrial works and it just kept changing hands all these years until it ended up on Jakku.
>>
>>62721879
Well, that's better. The idea that Abrams and Kasdan think that gas giants are just big clouds was a bit too much.

I still think revolving the plot of your movie over an object that has minor sentimental value is dumb.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.