[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys the Martian is really good it's like Gravity but entertaining
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: martian-movie.jpg (343 KB, 1940x1043) Image search: [Google]
martian-movie.jpg
343 KB, 1940x1043
Guys the Martian is really good it's like Gravity but entertaining and a bit more believable (emotionally) despite being less believable.
The science is atrociously shitty
>just ran the numbers guys
>im gonna hack the shuttle with 24 int edits and qml(actually I don't recognize the language it's possibly made up)
But it's really good at the same time since it's never really artificially tense, by that I mean someone's gonna die, rather than relationship isn't going well tense. Really liked it, I think it was worth 11 bucks

Thanks for reading! Make sure to like and favorite.
>>
>>62715090
>like and favorite
Hoo boy.

As science goes, it hits the mark better than Interstellar or Gravity. Don't know what the fuck you're on about there.
>>
DUDE SCIENCE LMAO

are there supposed to be plants in that pic?
>>
>>62715159
Promo pic, they fucked up. No Martian Plants in the movie except for the ones Damon makes.

Kinda like the lightposts in the Kylo Ren promo pic.
>>
>>62715137
Well I guess I can't speak for the scientific element I'm not a scientist myself. But there's a quote from hemingway that basically says the dignity of an iceberg is only there because of the 90% of its knowledge below the surface
The mathematical models that I saw in the movie and the running the numbers phrase that was thrown around was clearly a placeholder. No one did the numbers and it leaves a gaping hole in the film.
>>
>>62715194
Glover's character was a placeholder in general.

And you're really arguing that the math is fucky, not so much the science. The creating water trick, the blood coagulating and sealing up the suit, the shit-farming, all mostly plausible.

Fuck that shit where he sealed up the Hab with plastic wrap though.
>>
it was pretty good, like 3 maybe 4 out of 5. the donald glover shit was one part that should have been done away with, that was horribly trite. it kinda dragged on too long imo
>>
Ahem well great thread guys thanks for coming
>>
>>62715090
I just can't get myself to care about those "realistic" SF movies. Hard SF meant Asimov or Arthur C. Clarke before, now it's boring stuff like Gravity. It's a sad time when the most acclaimed SF movies are something like this or from Nolan.
>>
File: enough-is-enough-frog.jpg (44 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
enough-is-enough-frog.jpg
44 KB, 396x385
Nah everything about that movie was dogshit. One of the worst movies I've seen in fucking years.

Since we agree the science is shit (for a thousand more reasons than you stated) (LMAO INFINITE OXYGEN MACHINE), let's go over this part.

>bit more believable (emotionally)

He's trapped on a fucking planet alone, and he doesn't mentally break down, he doesn't get lonely, not a single time do we ever see any despair, or psychological/introspective moments.

He just makes shitty 4th wall jokes at the audience like 'heh you guys having fun watching me hehe!"

Goddamn this movie was fucking terrible. His 15 minutes or so in Interstellar was a better fucking viewing experience than this entire movie.
>>
the fact that the thread is so mundane is why i couldnt fully get into the movie, it just didnt resonate with me that strongly, maybe the benzos i was on made me too intellectually dull, but it just was kind of meh to me...
>>
>>62715588
>LMAO INFINITE OXYGEN MACHINE
Oxygenators are a real thing you know.
>>
>>62715588
How can someone be this contrarian?
>>
>>62715137
>le infinite energy nuclear magic device
>le infinite oxygen machine
>le thank god im a botanist! even though you cannot grow earth plants in sterile rust dirt, without soil and nutrients (human feces isnt soil)
>le LMAO my shit potatoes froze! but its cool because nasa send supplies, so i guess it didnt matter im a botanist! LMAO
>le magic "enough fucking water for months" from sweating noxious solid fuel source
>le it takes 4 years to go to mars 1 moment, but only 9 months the next
>le "i only have enough food for 30 days!" jk i have 2 years worth, lmao thanksgiving supplies :DD
>le duct tape can fix space pressurization!
>le im a super hacker LMFAO hi nasa! :DD
>le "LMAO JUST CUT MY SUIT OPEN DUDE AND FLY LIKE IRON MAN" instead of suffocating and hurdling into space
>le magic "any tools i need i find" meme

DUDE SCIENCE LMAO
>>
>>62715588
this

shit was reddit as fuck
>>
>>62715618
No, It was meh.

I've read short stories about astronauts going to Mars that were more interesting than this movie.

>that one where the humans get red eyes and start to adapt to Mars unique environment

Fuck, I'd rather just watch Total Recall again than 'The Martian'.
>>
>>62715649
>An oxygenator is a medical device that is capable of exchanging oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood of human patient during surgical procedures that may necessitate the interruption or cessation of blood flow in the body, a critical organ or great blood vessel.

In the blood. On a planet with billions of years of generated oxygen.

That's not the same as a magic machine that creates enough oxygen on a dead planet to survive for years. Pure fantasy bullshit.
>>
>>62715709
Stupid fucking movie, and boring as fuck.

Literally like those 'dude science!' scenes from Breaking Bad, except without any actual science, and nothing he does in the movie matters because they rescue him anyway

>dude you just wasted 2 hours watching me do nothing LMAOO
>>
>>62715709
You're an obnoxious fuck, but you do make some points. The suit-cutting and the duct tape were the worst examples.

He never claimed to be a superhacker, NASA actually gave him instructions on how to mess with the code.

Thanksgivings supplies wasn't all that unbelievable, they pack a lot of shit for redundancies sake. Hell, first woman to go into space, they asked her if 100 tampons would be okay for the week she'd be out there.
>>
File: doge.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
3/10

hopefully the last mars flick, at least for another decade
>>
>>62715796
>remembers the exact location of a derelict mars rover, somehow after more than a decade it's still powered, also he knows how to code it/use computer maths to program it to move/reconnect with nasa
>dude txt messaging with nasa lmao, time for some reddit jokes

You'd think if it was that easy to text message with NASA, that they'd already have a terminal set up in the station with all the video recorders/computers and shit.

Holy fuck this movie makes me angry.
>>
I like it very much. Very good script (IMO). Lack of science or not. It was a great movie theater experience. Lovely picture. Great sound.

A little too much comedy, but that's the tone of the book (I heard).
>>
>>62715735
how about red planet? the scene in that where the martian tornado rips the guy to pieces is more interesting than probably any scene in the martian
>>
File: MAAT IM MAAT DAMON.png (355 KB, 610x256) Image search: [Google]
MAAT IM MAAT DAMON.png
355 KB, 610x256
>>62715796
>You're an obnoxious fuck

HAHA, IM A PIRATE, SPACE PIRATE, HAA, DISCO MUSIC IS SO LAME, HEY REDDIT, IT'S MATT, NASA YOU CAN GO F YOURSELF, GET IT, F? HAAA

DID I MENTION THAT DISCO IS GAY, HAHAA

DUDE. MARS. LMAAOO HAHAAA
>>
>>62715870
You're not helping your case.

Watney was using humor to keep himself from committing suicide/losing hope. It makes sense for him.

Just so happens that what got him through the day was reddit-tier humor. Not his fault.
>>
File: laughing green nigger.jpg (25 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
laughing green nigger.jpg
25 KB, 400x386
>>62715090
>that shrub in the bottom left
>>
>>62715870
Ha, ha. Take my money Matt!

Wew!
>>
File: upvote.jpg (26 KB, 280x320) Image search: [Google]
upvote.jpg
26 KB, 280x320
>>62715906
you sound like his mom

2. thumps. up!

THUMPS.WITH A P.PFFTTTTTHAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
Everest was the only worthwhile movie this year.

Best acted, best directed, well scored. A triumph of humanity, endurance, a film with actual human emotions. Based on a real human struggle that actually happened.

The fact that shit like Martian and Avengers is more popular to the masses, is a perfect example of what is wrong with this fucking planet. You'd rather watch a fictional character do fantasy science on a dead CGI planet, than a real human struggle. Jesus
>>
>>62716001
this is why I only watch documentary films
>>
>>62716001
it is because there is an entire generation raised on nasa propaganda and their mass marketing campaign to get the youth enthusiastic about the 'wonders' of space, and hopefully turn that enthusiasm into revenue, donated toward science, in the pursuit of infinite meaningless 'studies' and space 'research' that keeps these scientists forever entangled in their lofty careers of academia

every facet of the scientific community is exaggerated and doctored to make things appear more majestic and interesting than they really are. astronomers dont use telescopes they use computers, and stare at numbers all day. nebulas aren't bright and colorful heavenly tapestries, but really black and white to the human eye, only put through special 'radon filters' and photoshopped to appear heavenly and unique.

they dangle the prospect that someday we'll invent interplanetary travel and explore the universe, when really that is an impossibility. we're trapped on this planet, and have already gained every ounce of space knowledge that we'll ever need. just like that 'signal from space' recently turned out to be absolutely nothing. tear down the space radios and cancel all that shit, and focus on generating more resources so that we survive as a species on the fucking earth before its too late.
>>
robinson crusoe on mars and his magic m&m oxygen pills were better than this piece of shit and its "science" not to mention matt damon is one of the most unlikable faggots on earth and i'll never understand how he appeals to anyone or has a career, he's a slightly younger daniel craig - shit actor with a face that deserves to punched by every fist on the planet
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.