[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do we never talk about this guy >Fist Full of Dollars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10
File: Sergio Leone.jpg (13 KB, 220x198) Image search: [Google]
Sergio Leone.jpg
13 KB, 220x198
Why do we never talk about this guy
>Fist Full of Dollars
>For a Few Dollars More
>The Good, the Bad, the Ugly
>Once Upon a Time in the West
>Once Upon a Time in America
>>
>>62707497
Because there's pretty little to discuss.
All his movies are good or better. He had artistic vision, but was also able to pull in the numbers, which is admirable. A great director.
>>
File: Once-Upon-a-Time-in-America.png (1 MB, 1514x852) Image search: [Google]
Once-Upon-a-Time-in-America.png
1 MB, 1514x852
>>62707497
Once Upon a Time in America is easily his most patrician film, but it gets the least attention.
>>
>Why do we never talk about this guy
What planet do you live on?

If he's not discussed more, its because 90% of his films are of the same genre and have the same style, but with different plots plugged in. Not that that's inherently bad, there's just not a ton to say
>>
>>62707497
As far as I'm concerned Leone is one of the greatest directors of all time, and he is certainly one of my favorites. Leone+Morricone is also the greatest director+film composer duo of all time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8XkHsinz7oU
>>
>>62707497
can't meme him
>>
>>62707497
Because there's nothing to talk about, his work speaks for itself.
>>
Kurosawa, Bergman and Leone are my 3 favorite directors.
>>
he stole an entire movie from kurosawa
>>
>>62707497
Because he didn't make Star Wars
>>
>>62707555
This essentially. /tv/ is a meme board afterall.
>>
>>62707582
You're special.
>>
>>62707523
No, I'd say it's the one that tries hardest to be patrician but betrays what made Leone great in the first place. He took a juvenile genre like westerns and elevated it with his theatrical storytelling and cinematography, while never losing the simple grit that makes westerns great to begin with. OUATIA doesn't have that, and falls apart due to the meandering script and because Noodles is such a scumbag that its impossible to feel bad for him
>>
>>62707609
I really don't think so.
>>
File: Duck You Sucker Shooting.webm (2 MB, 470x170) Image search: [Google]
Duck You Sucker Shooting.webm
2 MB, 470x170
>>62707497
>doesn't even mention his best film
>>
>>62707623
No man, you are, your mother told me.
>>
File: Duck You Sucker Bakunin.webm (2 MB, 1280x548) Image search: [Google]
Duck You Sucker Bakunin.webm
2 MB, 1280x548
>>
>>62707674
Well that was highly unnecessary
>>
>>62707497
Because he is IMDb Top 10 essential casual-core.

I'd think a board that brags about its cinematic knowledge and advanced cinema discussion would have past the Space channel plebness by now.
>>
>>
>>62707497
>Why do we never talk about this guy
Because the underage shitposters just want to meme and act contrarian and I don't want to hear them tell me how shit a director they've never heard of is
>>
>>62707616
It's the only Leone film with characters who aren't two dimensional. It still has all the grandeur of his westerns, it just happens to be about real people instead of mythical cowboys.

And honestly, the only true 'scumbag' moment from Noodles was the rape. He was completely sympathetic up to that point.
>>
>>
>>62707734
You are probably one of these that thinks that people who don't like The Avengers assemble are doing so for the purpose of being contrarian.

Instead of mindlessly defending your precious flicks to embarrassment you should spend your time doing something that would actually contribute to the quality of the discussion, like watching more movies and getting a better education in general.
>>
Great film maker, but I find it annoying that when people now say they like westerns they really mean his films- Which were not really westerns at all.
>>
>>62707711
I'm s-sorry i was just kidding.
>>
File: clint tipping.gif (818 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
clint tipping.gif
818 KB, 500x359
>mfw after seeing the god-tier opening to once upon a time in the west, kubrick literally phoned up leone and begged him to tell him how he did it
>mfw this resulted in 2001
>mfw 2001 was only realised cause of leone's brilliance

scene related
https://youtu.be/7WPMoVtHSOs?t=1m2s
>>
>>62707820
>It's the only Leone film with characters who aren't two dimensional
Maybe, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're good characters. The kids have very little chemistry with each other.

The rape makes Noodles extremely hard to feel bad for, especially when he's pining for the good old days of forcing himself on women, stealing babies and killing people with his friends. Feeling bad for being old is much less than what should be coming to him. He's a "tragic" character who I want tragedy to befall

>>62707902
>Which were not really westerns at all.
Go to bed Rich Hall
>>
>>62707861
>so much implying
kek, fuck off kid
>>
Why was he so obsessed with rape? Every single female character in his Once Upon a Time Trilogy gets raped.
>>
>>62707963
The truth hurt doesn't it.
>>
>>62708029
Someone posted an interview with him after America where he makes some really weird comments about the rape there. Like "its sad because he did it out of love, he loved her so much he could only rape her".
>>
>>62708029
>Once Upon a Time Trilogy
The West
America
???

>>62708190
don't you have an uno farto thread to make or something?
or you could just post caps of this thread on reddit for some gold and upboats
>>
>>62707940
Who says you have to 'feel bad' for him? He's a violent criminal, and Leone chooses to humanize him, what's wrong with that?Dramas are often about flawed or fallen people.
>>
>>62707937
You're an idiot, OUATITW was released after 2001.

Kubrick ripped off Lawrence of Arabia for that.
>>
>>62708321
>He's a violent criminal, and Leone chooses to humanize him, what's wrong with that?
Nothing inherent, its just my empathy only stretches so far when a violent criminal feels sad about aging
>>
>>62708254
Talking to you looked like a better manner of wasting my time, but a fartopost doesn't look that bad in hindsight.
>>
>>62708378
I can't find the exact quote but apparently it was barry lyndon that was most influenced by ouatitw
http://cinearchive.org/post/38483214471/stanley-kubrick-admired-the-film-as-well-so-much

The exact bit about the intro was somewhere in that documentary about leone on youtube (where there's also an anecdote of ford sending leone a book with words on the inside cover telling him that leone was a better director)
>>
>>62708378
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlLa5Jz33pM

At 26:30 they talk about it
>>
>>62707497
You don't want people to talk about hime here, all it will do is make him a meme that get's looked down upon by shut ins for being accessible.
>>
>>62707642
>>62707685
>>62707731
>>62707822
Nearly choked up at the end there.

Such an underappreciated movie.
>>
>>62707861
>You are probably one of these that thinks that people who don't like The Avengers assemble are doing so for the purpose of being contrarian.
There is no "probably". He definitely is
>>
File: Leone ITW.jpg (87 KB, 640x432) Image search: [Google]
Leone ITW.jpg
87 KB, 640x432
>>62708029
Peckinpah also had rape in most of his films. They were fascinated with the darkest side of human and male nature. It's part of the deconstruction of the Fordian idealism; the west was uncivilized and America was built on violence. Their characters are ruthless thugs. But they're also still humane, they're ambiguous and often have redemptive traits. Often they fall prey to their own violent sexual instincts, it's a weakness, it's never glorified. Noodles raping Deborah is such a sad scene, because he so obviously loves her deeply but doesn't know how else to express it, as violence is all he knows. This is how Leone viewed America, with a very pessimistic love and cruel tenderness.

>>62708254
Duck You Sucker. Also known as OUAT... The Revolution. The mexican peasant rapes a white bourgeoise in the intro.

>>62708239
Leone: At the Cannes Festival, an idiot accused me of complacency towards misogyny and antifeminine sadism because of this sequence. She had understood nothing. I told her I was not antifeminist but if all feminists were like her, I was going to apply myself in quickly making a film against feminists! I was really furious because her accusation was too absurd. This rape scene is a cry of love! Noodles has spent fifteen years in prison. He never stopped thinking about this woman who was on the outside. He was always madly in love with her. To the point of leaving with her when he regained his freedom. To the point of telling her everything he is... All that he has done! He is a professional gangster but his love is so great that he cannot hide anything from this woman. He took her to a great place that he rented for a fortune... Just so that she could choose a table that she liked. And so they could be alone and happy... He loved her so much he behaved like a prince with her. He transformed the evening into a fairy tale. He confessed all his love for her. He said she was the light which got him through fifteen years of imprisonment.
>>
>>62707523
Just seems boring , couldnt get pat the first 20 mins
>>
>>62707728
If you're insecure enough to dismiss any filmmaker whose work happens to enjoy mainstream popularity in the here and now then you are truly the greatest pleb of all.
>>
>>62707497
Why leave out Duck You Sucker? It's fantastic and you literally listed every other film he made.
>>
File: Colossus Of Rhodes (1).jpg (131 KB, 640x273) Image search: [Google]
Colossus Of Rhodes (1).jpg
131 KB, 640x273
>>62710412
>every other film he made.
>>
>>62710530
OK I forgot about that. He was basically just a hired gun on that movie though, wasn't he? I wouldn't really call it a true Leone film.
>>
It's a horrible shame we didn't get to see his Stalingrad. Can you imagine, the Soviet army in a Leone vista with Morricone blasting away? It would've been biblical.
>>
File: Colossus Of Rhodes (2).jpg (143 KB, 638x274) Image search: [Google]
Colossus Of Rhodes (2).jpg
143 KB, 638x274
>>62710583
So was he on Fistful, which was supposed to be a cheaply made project, using the same sets producers had already paid for for another, bigger western. He had a small budget, and with that, creative freedom to improvize and experiment, then develop his style in the sequels. Technically, Fistful is not even credited to Leone, as he used a pseudonym.

Colossus is still an interesting curiosity if you're a fan, if only for its aesthetics. It has that warm, kitsch charm those kind of films had, great set designs, creative lighting, beautiful widescreen framing, etc. and the flaws that go with them: wooden acting, very dated effects, cheap costumes, mediocre dialogues... With sometimes suprising stylized and colorful violence, and really inspired cinematography. There's a BluRay rip out there, it was released in Germany I think.
>>
>>62711000
That's interesting, thanks for the info.
>>
>>62707602
/tv/ is a ship board
>>
>>62707497
>no Duck You Sucker!
Pleb
>>
>>62707497
Because the userbase demographics were changed after appeals to Black Twitter to invade here.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.