[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes aside, do you respect what Doug is trying to do? Every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: dougwalker.jpg (17 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
dougwalker.jpg
17 KB, 512x384
Memes aside, do you respect what Doug is trying to do?
Every week, he and an extremely small team write, direct, edit, and act (poorly) in a short film for the sake of reviewing and parodying a movie. He must spend countless hours putting together material, trying to not be too repetitive (given that he has hundreds of episodes), and trying to deliver what his fanbase wants. No one else, to my knowledge, has produced the same amount of material with the same consistent level of average-tier quality in the same amount of time with such a small group to work with. And even given all of that, he still finds the time to do other shows with different characters, deliver video blogs, and manage all of channel awesome. Who else takes on that kind of challenge like Doug?
>>
File: douglas walker critic.jpg (199 KB, 560x714) Image search: [Google]
douglas walker critic.jpg
199 KB, 560x714
It's ironic though how Nostalgia Critic was much better back when it was just Doug and the camera. Nowadays all the episodes are crowded with 20 people, cringy story arch, and some forced abloobloobloo feelgood moral of the story at the end.
Maybe he's just too awkward to tell the Demo Reel people to fuck off and now he's stuck with them, I don't know, but I liked it better when it was just Doug, camera, and some shitty pre-00s kids movie he would rip apart.
>>
> I liked it better when it was just Doug, camera, and some shitty pre-00s kids movie he would rip apart

this, I can watch that anytime
>>
>>62703449
I liked the old episodes better but yeah, I still respect him and what he's doing. Also, i'd hit Tamara Chambers.
>>
I watched his Care Bears reviews the other day and they're great.
No other people, just the movie and Doug being hilarious.

Compare that to the Mad Max review. Full of over the top costumes and effects while being really cringey and unfunny and also pushing a feminist message. The message is good and the monologue at the end in poignant and topical but it's delivered by that shitty character and followed by an awful joke and literally made me embarrassed for him.
>>
>>62704449
Which one is Tamara? The old or the new one?
>>
>>62703449
He takes like forty minutes to nitpick the same amount of stuff someone on /tv/ can do in three so no.
>>
>>62704585

The new one. Don't get me wrong,though, I'd hit the old one too.
>>
>>62704585
The new chubby one
>>
File: Cuck and Dale.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Cuck and Dale.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
He knows more about video games than AVGN.
>>
>>62704649
She'd get it.
>>
>>62704643
>>62704649
I see, I prefer the old one though.
>>
File: 1404248249540.png (4 MB, 2000x2046) Image search: [Google]
1404248249540.png
4 MB, 2000x2046
Why wouldn't he do a crossover with Latza, /tv/?
>>
>>62703449
Tamara is supercute, but Doug should really stick to what he's good at.
He can be really funny, but keeping it more simple was what he was good at.
The skits CAN be funny but skits only is not, because it's funnier to see the skits and what they're referencing back to back.
So if he threw them in there from time to time I had zero problems with them and they were very funny sometimes (the horny wicked witch was sooo funny imo).
>>
>>62704725
Because he fucking hates latza for being his half brother
>>
>>62703449
I only know him because he appears in some videos on the Cinemassacre channel.
But god damn is he one of the least likable persons ever. I am impressed to hear that there are people who can actually sit through an entire video with this guy.
>>
File: dougie.jpg (21 KB, 529x400) Image search: [Google]
dougie.jpg
21 KB, 529x400
>>62704663
He tries way too hard to impress James and the audience with his wits. Like in that recent video where he plays Batman on SNES with James, he tells this story about using turbo controller on that game and it was like
>h-hey i-if y-y-you use a turbo controller batman would go like BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM w-when he hits HE HE HE HE
>>
>>62704553
Didn't watch that Mad Max video, but did it really have some feminist message? Was it about that thing when ROTK said something about "feminazis ruining Mad Max hrumpa dumpa durrg!" and then clickbait sites claimed ROTK is a MRA site even though ROTK has nothing to do with MRAs? I bet it was.
>>
>>62704834
Watch some of his older videos where he's alone in front of the camera, you might change your mind. Back then he didn't try to push some moral on you and it was all about them laffs.
>>
>>62704915
I just watched the Care Bears one because someone mentioned it here.

I have to say he is a lot less annoying and obnoxious than what I had otherwise seen. It was not particularly funny, but I can understand why people can watch him without wanting to hurt themselves.
>>
>>62705177
Watch The Room review, definitely his best review ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tri9i3WtXLc
>>
>>62703449
That's not a really big effort for the amount of dough he makes every month, I have to work really hard, I have to do things that no man should do to make barely enough money to pay my bills.
No I don't respect him, his work is just pandering to its audience.
>>
>>62704215
>Maybe he's just too awkward to tell the Demo Reel people to fuck off and now he's stuck with them,

They had actual contracts IIRC. Ms. Tits bailed on hers I believe. I don't know about the status on dindu or the new girl though.
>>
Can someone explain why every single movie reviewer from that site has a "story line"???
>>
>>62705369
Autism.
>>
File: p1426732905923.jpg (89 KB, 612x499) Image search: [Google]
p1426732905923.jpg
89 KB, 612x499
>>62704838
>looking into my subscriptions
>it's james video!
>Batman! i had that game on my old nes
>click on it
>douge appears

I couldn't watch it anymore, did I miss something decent?
>>
>>62703449
He spent the best part of a decade dedicating himself to making reviews, comedy and "movies", and not ONCE did he bother going to a course on any of it in order to improve.
No, I will not respect a person who wallows in what he does and hopes everything will just go to plan.

>>62705369
Correlation = causation fallacy.
Linkara managed to get popular VERY quickly in comparison to the rest of them, and the seemingly only thing he did differently was his storylines. Autists took this to mean that storylines = better quality of video.
They utterly failed to realise that Linkara was being supported by Spoony, easily the most popular individual outside Doug, who gave him his first leg up in views.
>>
>>62705250
Apart from the retarded Back to the Future shit, it really is a solid review.
>>
Quantity =/= quality.

Douge is the equivalent of shitty public access television, except now it's even easier.

I get what you're trying to say, it's just not as impressive as you think.
>>
>>62703449
Yes. He's a great guy who's not given enough respect.
>>
>>62703449
Watched a movie, felt like the man knew his trade.
The he reviewed "Last action hero", and I could see that he was full of himself.

Specially the "That's not how a cameo is done!" part. Fuck that guy.
>>
>>62704215
Agreed 100%
>>
I personally enjoy his older stuff more because I can just listen to it while I do something else.
But I really like his new "movie-like" trend. It's actually pretty well done. I wish I had the time and resources to do it.
>>
It's been like 8 months since spoony's last review, I just want him to put out something for all the patreon money he got
>>
>>62703449
decided to check him out again
watched his hocus pocus "review"
so rather then listen to his fanbase and just go back to actual reviews he just said fuck you and went full on sketch mode? like how much of a fucking asshole do you have to be to nt only ignore your fans but then do the exact opposite f what they want of you?
>>
>>62710844
>so rather then listen to his fanbase and just go back to actual reviews he just said fuck you and went full on sketch mode? like how much of a fucking asshole do you have to be to nt only ignore your fans but then do the exact opposite f what they want of you?

He wants to make movies. For the sake of integrity, let the man make his movies.
If they fail and loses his fanbase, well too bad. But making what people want's you to do instead of what you want to do? That goes against his artistic integrity. And as someone who often complains about directors not having artistic integrity, well that'd be extra shitty. He's not his fanbase's clown.
>>
>>62708760
I recently watched "Last Action Hero".
Not only is Doug full of shit, but the movie is a postmodern masterpiece written and released far ahead of its time.
>>
>>62703449
Did anyone else click on Hocus Pocus hoping for a regular NC, instead just getting that same awful shit he did for JW and Mad Max?

I mean, what was that? The movie was already out, for God's sake.

Also
>Disneycember
>Avatar Vlogs
>Patch Adams
>Airborne
>Commercial Specials
>Cool as Ice
>Steel
>That Chuck Norris Film
>Next Karate Kid

He's made some shit, but there's a lot of gold if you're willing to dig.
>>
I am really looking forward to the new commercials video he hinted at. Although I will be disappointed if he does a ton of sketches for it. I'm ok with them in small doses.
Also I do admire his work ethic.
>>
i hated him until i started picturing him as weird al
>>
I enjoy his shorter videos like WTR (Was that real?) because I love the structure. A good ten or so minutes of Doug mocking some short lived show that time forgot while showing us footage etc.

I can't get into his more recent film reviews, the effort is there but it's not what I want to see. I would rather watch him briefly mock something and move on rather than him spending a few minutes mocking it in a skit.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.