[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the greatest film soundtrack composer currently working?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: reznor.jpg (272 KB, 1400x786) Image search: [Google]
reznor.jpg
272 KB, 1400x786
Is he the greatest film soundtrack composer currently working?
>>
No. Not even close. But I like him, I think he's a great fit with David Fincher, I hope they keep working together
>>
>>62699349

How do you go from Edge to patrician in so short a time?
>>
>>62699349
>Not John Williams
I mean come on.

I love Social Network's soundtrack. though. In Motion in particular.
>>
>>62699395

He was always a great musician, just pretty bad at writing lyrics

From a musical/production standpoint though, The Downward Spiral is still one of the best and most influential albums of its time
>>
>>62699349

Clint Mansell, John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Angelo Badalamenti, T. Bone Burnett, Carter Burwell, Alexandre Desplat, Cliff Martinez, etc etc etc

He is good, though. But let's be real, he's only done 3 movies and they all sounded very similar
>>
>>62699349

Danny Elfman
>>
>>62699443
I've always been partial to In Motion too. Intriguing Possibilities and Painted Sun in Abstract are ones I love as well. Just an amazing soundtrack through and through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U9MIKA4uV8

The theme song to COD that he did was pretty fucking good too.

>>62699448
>bad at writing lyrics

He's gotten immensely better in my opinion, especially on The Slip and Hesitation Marks.

A lot of the badness came from his overly dramatic, breathy delivery too. Listen to Cash's Hurt, and then Reznor's. Cash sings the lyrics with a world-weary majesty and wisdom, and he changed that awful ''crown of shit'' line which always struck me as comical.
>>
>>62699854

Don't get me wrong man, I was a huge fan in my younger years, and still listen to a lot of it. But the lyrics on "The Slip" are just as cringe-worthy as anything he's ever done. Haven't heard the newer one though, is it good?

I think film composition is a great fit for him, I also think it'd be cool to see him work more as a producer for other artists. But his songwriting/delivery is impossible to take seriously after I grew out of the angst.
>>
reminder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvjF0a33gHM
>>
>>62699987
Oh yeah, I agree with you that, in general, his lyrics are awful. Especially on something like The Fragile which his him at his absolute fucking worst lyrically. But they work in some contexts.

As far as Hesitation Marks goes, I love it. Musically and production wise it's great and subtle, as is all of his stuff. And lyrically it's interesting and better than most of what he's written. I mean there's a nod to a Hank Williams lyric at one point.
>>
>>62700298

The Fragile is my all-time #1 "album that I like to listen to, but never around other people"
>>
kill yourself
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.