[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is film school complete bullshit? Im not in the business, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: ecc_fc_263.jpg (325 KB, 1920x815) Image search: [Google]
ecc_fc_263.jpg
325 KB, 1920x815
Is film school complete bullshit? Im not in the business, but it seems like any kid can use the money he would spend on film school and just buy a camera and some editing software, read some books and watch some videos about the craft, and then make some shitty little movies and put them on the internet and he would be ok if he was good.

Or he could make a movie and enter it in some film fest and if people like it, it gets some press and the big shots in hollywood take notice. Any here actually do this for a living? Im kind of interested in how it works
>>
>>62698254
It's mainly for networking purposes, but there is some genuine stuff you can learn in there from what I've heard.
>>
>>62698254
>>62698558
I'm in first year film school and haven't learned much since I had done research and have experience shooting with friends, but I have met people I'm sure I'll know my whole life for getting work and shit
>>
>>62698254
its just as hard getting into the business with or without one, but you'd climb the ladder quicker with going to film school..unless you stand out as fuck
>>
I didn't go to a film school, but I studied film at a school with a pretty good program.

I think that it's more about learning how to tell stories. I've learned as much about film from film as I have from creative writing courses. It's all just different sets of grammar, all with the same goal: communication.

Granted, you can pick up a book and learn all this shit, but the same technically goes for anything. When you go to school, you're paying not just to sit in a classroom, but to sit in your professor's office and talk things over, to use all the equipment the school provides you.

It's definitely not for everyone, but it's not as useless as you make it sound, OP.

That said, if you do want film school: stay far the fuck away from NYU.
>>
The same could be said about any degree or career
>>
>>62698558
doesnt the internet make that irrelevant though?

Cant some young kid just build connections through the internet or something? Like get some actors through craigslist, they tell you about this other director they know, you start talking to him ect.
>>
>>62699105
>The same could be said about any degree or career

bull shit

No one can be a self taught doctor or lawyer or engineer.

Its dumb to compare art to a real job.
>>
>>62699118
No. The caste system requires you to do the prerequisites properly, you can't just barge in and say I wanna do this. If you're not in the right caste, you're nothing.
>>
>>62698254
like art and sports reporting, it has become corporatized it is now a money making pyramid scheme for universities.
>>
>>62699118
>>62699457
You can definitely brute force yourself in, if you have something worth their time, ie, budgeted project, name actors, etc
>>
File: 2000px-Faravahar-Gold.svg.png (256 KB, 2000x943) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Faravahar-Gold.svg.png
256 KB, 2000x943
>>62699457
the rich caste opens all barriers, you're thinking like a poorfag.
>>
>>62698254
the issue is that the decisive part is your creativity, work ethic and networking ability, none of which can really be taught.
>>
>networking through film school
Kek, the connections you need come from having a well connected dad in Hollywood
>>
>>62699660
This desu
>2015
>Thinking people "make it" in the industry, and aren't just lucky to be what the hollywood overlords want
>>
where is the best place in america to be a filmmaker?
>>
>>62698254
You need it for the connections

You can code a video game alone
You can draw art alone
You can write a book alone

You can't make a movie alone
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.