[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Movies gaijin will never understand.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: images.jpg (90 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
90 KB, 667x1000
Movies gaijin will never understand.
>>
File: The_Last_Samurai.jpg (82 KB, 486x720) Image search: [Google]
The_Last_Samurai.jpg
82 KB, 486x720
>>
>>62695812
do Koreans have a special word for filthy degenerate Japs?
>>
>>62695858
IDK. That's a good question.

Google Translate says "foreigner" = "외국인"... IN ENGLISH, PLEASE, GOOGLE!
>>
>>62695945
Ue Gook In
>>
>>62695812

Fucking hell, that was a great movie. Although too much propaganda but still great.

Still funny that a shitty Japanese junk fleet was able to bring troops and nearly conquer Korea. China had to help em too.

Even more funny that the Mongols wrecked the noble desu senpai Samurai in close quarters combat. Japs go lucky they got saved by the weather.
>>
>>62696560
I'm honestly not sure if I understood the movie.

Him cutting off his own soldier's head for being afraid and the entire moving being about sacrificing yourself for your nation even when you know it is pointless unless a miracle happens kind of goes against Western liberal sensibilities. If I didn't know that easterners get a hardon over Confucianism and shit then I would have thought it was an awful movie.
>>
>>62695812
Oh shit is this about Admiral Yi
>>
>>62697551
How does that go against western sensibilities, the culture that coined the phrase "give me liberty, or give me death"?
>>
>>62697592
That wasn't what the movie was about though. It was about dying for your superiors unquestioningly and knowing your place. That's what Confucianism is all about.
>>
>>62697646
Ok, but that isnt what you said
>>
>>62697682
For the sake of brevity and all that. I shouldn't have assumed all you fuckers knew about Confuscinism when I only have the slightest understanding of it. My bad.

A good Confucian is supposed to do what he is told no matter what he thinks of his superiors. So if your father is an alcoholic who beets you then you still have to treat him with honor because that is what a good son is supposed to do. This is actually a little against Admiral Yi's actions though. He lived a model Confucian life which is why Korea sees him as their George Washington on steroids, but he ironically goes against Confucianism in the movie by going against his orders to scuttle his fleet and retreat inland.
>>
A bit slow to start but the ship battles were spectacular.
>>
>>62695812
Looks neat, worth a watch?
>>
>>62697566
Yes indeedy.
>>
>>62697753
I know about Confucianism, I dont know about the movie, so your comments didnt make any sense without the movie context, thus my post. Its ok, we can be best friends now

More Admiral Yi stuff, this guy was a grade A badass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ieaDfD_h6s
>>
>>62697817
It's the slightest big propoganda-y because Yi is a national hero in Korea. He is portrayed as larger than life and you are just supposed to assume he isn't a complete asshole because a lot of his actions can come off that way.

Very good visuals and the acting isn't awful. Some things can be absurd like the accuracy of muskets back then or the force of canon fire, but it's a lot better than most eastern movies when it comes to realism.

It's a great period piece. A must see for anyone interested in the era. I really loved seeing the Japanese in their ornate armor and shit, shooting their Portuguese muskets and waving their Japanese katanas folded over 1000 times.
>>
Are there any other movies that movies with particularly eastern sensibilities?
>>
>>62695812
Ham fisted propaganda / patriotism is quite easy to understand universally though

xoxo small dicked dog eater
>>
>>62698800
b-b-b-but my nation is special and exceptional!
>>
I like the general nationalist undertone in many of these asian movies, specially the worst korean ones. Shit like that wouldn't fly in the SJW west
>>
>>62698800
You're right about the dog eating part which proves these people are soulless ants for the most part but otherwise you need to fuck off back to reddit you libslime
>>
File: image-699350-galleryV9-ciol.jpg (85 KB, 850x601) Image search: [Google]
image-699350-galleryV9-ciol.jpg
85 KB, 850x601
>>62697646
That is not un-western in the slightest. Just a bit out of fashion in modern day hollywood, that's all.

But go to the army and you will probably encounter exactly that spirit
>>
>>62698876
So I am wrong about the small dick part? What are you some homosexual gook lover?
>>
>>62695812

call people gaijin

post korean film

are you trying ?
>>
>>62698846
What is The Patriot, Trebek.

What is The Sons of Liberty documentary.

What is anything filmed or written about Texas by a Texan.
>>
>>62698885
>>62698885
>Just a bit out of fashion in modern day hollywood, that's all.

Now that I think of it probably not even that. American war movies have the most same virtues, they just portray it in a more ham fisted way so there is no shadow of a doubt what was the right decision.
In this movie Admiral Ching Chong (really forgot his name) was faced with a decision, execute a deserter or risk very immediate rebellion and mass desertation. It is war, it is 16th century, we don't have to love a man of war. Fair enough, still kinda biased but nowhere near on the convenient writing level of hollywood.

Think James Ryan and the German POW. If you don't execute a German POW if you can't send him to a camp he will come back in German regiment and shoot the only person in the squad that respected you, so you get to execute that Kraut 3 hours later.

Result and message is the same, just a more one sided representation. If the movie was written by Americans the deserter would have come back to kill the admiral or some bullshit.
>>
>>62698885
Have you seen the movie?

If it had been made in the west then Admiral Yi would have given some sort of speech to invigorate his men and convince them that what they were doing would work or how it was the only chance Korea has. Instead i'ts more like "fuck you, [beheads crying soldier], any one else want to run away? I thought so. Now fall in line and die like good little soldiers. I don't gotta explain shit".

Yeah, that's exactly how the military works, but that's not in line with Western audience sensibilities. Westerners like the idea of dying for a cause or fighting a hopeless battle because it's the only thing that can be done, but they don't like the idea of following orders for orders sake.

Sometimes Western movies have incompetent or insane commanders that have to be ignored or taken down a notch, or have jarhead heroes who disobey stupid orders and save the day. That goes against Confucianism. Admirl Yi is so revered because it fits so well into Confucianism.
>>
>>62699581

Well I am pretty sure that scene was not supposed to be glorious but shocking for Asian audiences as well.

>modern western audience sensibilities
please. As I tried to sshow one post above, the messages are most similiar western movies just spell out some things for the audience more. And I have the feeling that it is more important to make the main character completely likeable in such a movie for us, too. So the differences in mentality seem to be of a different nature.
>>
>>62699493
>In this movie Admiral Ching Chong (really forgot his name) was faced with a decision, execute a deserter or risk very immediate rebellion and mass desertation. It is war, it is 16th century, we don't have to love a man of war. Fair enough, still kinda biased but nowhere near on the convenient writing level of hollywood.
The convenience in western films is there to give a clarity of message. I don't think The Admiral: Roaring Currents was trying to make it feel gritty and morally grey, else they would have tried humanizing Yi more. Yi is portrayed as larger than life. Yi executing the deserter wasn't meant to be viewed objectively the correct moral action.

Maybe I'm wrong though and maybe the directors were intentionally watering down the Confucian message. IDK. I'm not Korean.
>>
File: Entrails-of-a-Beautiful-Woman.jpg (143 KB, 736x1001) Image search: [Google]
Entrails-of-a-Beautiful-Woman.jpg
143 KB, 736x1001
>>
>>62699961
I think westerners have a tendency to give the exoticness of Asians too much importance. Especially in modern times the difference in mentality is not as big as it is made out to be by some (lived in Japan for 1 year and watched this movie in the plane on my way back funnily enough).

If I recall right, in this scene immediately after the execution many bystanders exchanged shocked looks and his generals also looked at each other worried. If I remember right, the whole structure of the movie was like this that you are left uncertain if this guy actually knows what he is doing and is not just incompetent and ruthless and will lead korea into a tragedy. And for me this scene was quite obviously in that context of suspense and doub too
>>
>>62696560
You sure it was great? All I heard was that it was shit. Though it seemed to be from mostly anti right Koreans, so that might be a part of it.
Seemed like another big budget crappy Korean movie though. Their quality have really gone down the last years, sadly.
>>
>>62700372
It's not a good movie but an entertaining one. The pathos and propaganda gets goofy on certain times.
>>
File: civilization-korea-afraid.png (27 KB, 225x358) Image search: [Google]
civilization-korea-afraid.png
27 KB, 225x358
>>62700156
I don't know. Maybe. There was SOME effort to humanize Yi in that scene where he sees his dead comrades.

I went into the movie recently learning about Yi and how he is so revered because his life sounds like it was made up just to be a Confucian parable. The movie had it's strong suits, but overall I would have been pretty critical of it had I not rationalized it's weak points as a means to justify Confucian ideals. Admiral Yi isn't relatable, the movie seems to go out of it's way to make Yi seem irrational and obsessive, and a large part of his success is simply due to dumb luck. Had this been a western movie I figured they would have touched on how seemingly irrational he was being. I just preferred seeing them as differences in culture than failings of the movie.

Looking back though the movie is making more sense regardless. Like the peasants helping wasn't just blind luck, it was about showing how it took everyone to win the fight, not just Yi or his soldiers. Also the villagers on shore signaling is making more sense now.

I guess you are right. I think it stands up even by Western standards. Maybe it just took some time to sink in because I was busy reading the subtitles.
>>
File: 1440529313380.jpg (32 KB, 600x648) Image search: [Google]
1440529313380.jpg
32 KB, 600x648
>>62697835

>linking Extra History
>>
>>62701495
You don't like the video series? They do a fair amount of research, portray the stories in an interesting manner, and clean up all the loose ends with a supplementary videos detailing what they messed up and how to better interpret the information.
>>
>>62701577

They also completely misrepresent events. Their Extra history videos are just as shit as their Extra credits videos.
>>
>>62701639
Give one or two examples.
>>
>>62701681

Sure, just bear in mind I haven't watched many of their videos so I'll criticize the ones I've seen.

Their only History one I've seen is the Crusades one, where they completely ignored 300 years of Muslim aggression and conquest, claiming that there was little evidence of Muslim aggression on cruelty (which 5 minutes research will show you isn't true at all).

But then again, these are the same guys making a video about how we're "running out of bandwidth in the air!!!", making shit claims like "every new phone network improvement (like 4G) uses up more and more spectrum and we're gonna run out, even though phones now use less spectrum than before since the tech has become more efficient. The graphs used in the videos concern home internet usage amongst others, while they're talking about something completely unrelated (phone network bandwith). They also spout shit like TV companies taking up too much bandwidth which they should free up (which they've been freeing up since the 90s if they only bothered to research their topic).

Another Extra Credits one I saw concerned homosexual and transsexual characters, in which they claimed Persona 4 is great because it includes a gay and a trans character, even though the game has neither. The game even makes that abundantly clear, leading me to believe they didn't even play the game at all.

So there ya go, that's why I think Extra Credits/Extra History is terrible.
>>
>>62698922
So you're the expert on Korean cock length then?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.