[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tech has changed a lot in the past 15 years. How does CGI in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Smeagol.jpg (40 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
Smeagol.jpg
40 KB, 500x497
Tech has changed a lot in the past 15 years.

How does CGI in Lord of the Rings after all of this time still look better than most modern blockbusters? In particular, Gollum, who is a completely CGI character.
>>
Gollum looks pretty bad at times in TTT

BUT i will say he still looks amazing in RotK.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ac9a3FhPvyA
>>
>>62687563
Because nerds are good with technology. Then you get dumb Chads like Michael Bay making all these shitty CGI effects and thinking they're so cool just because they blew something up.
>>
Because not everything is CGI in the triology.
>>
>>62687563

because LOTR had like 3 years of pre-production where most modern movies have a few months at best
>>
File: 1442018957033.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1442018957033.gif
1 MB, 640x360
>>62687563
Golum is a real man you insensitive clod!
>>
You could ask the same question about modern art, in comparison to art from the Renaissance or related classical periods. The quality of CGI and art alike, depends on the artist (and those supporting them too of course) and their level of skill and devotion to the piece. As >>62687692
said, a lot more time was spent on the CGI in LOTR, compared to now which is likely 'slap-dash-get-it-done'.
>>
>>62687563
Could you have at least found a better fucking homage to the Lord of the Rings series' CGI than a fucking low ass resolution photo of smeagol.
>>
>>62687563
>completely cgi
not true, natural body movement and facial expression is incredibly hard without someone like Andy behind the role.
>>
Lots of mocap and lots of what you're assuming to be CGI are miniatures and models.
>>
>>62688090

Sorry my quality of posting isn't up to your standards.
>>
>>62688158
Replying to myself.
You can see where they can't apply these things is where it looks bad. Texturing is a problem. The movement of big things like the balrog is a problem.
>>
>>62687563
>who is a completely CGI character.

wrong.
>>
Jurassic Park T rex still holds up.
>>
>>62687563
>How does CGI in Lord of the Rings after all of this time still look better than most modern blockbusters?

I watched all 3 extended editions this week and can tell you It doesn't, the really CGI parts of LotR are starting to show their age

That's not to say It looks bad, It's just noticeable, and certain times when gollum moves the CGI is bad by today's standard

That being said LotR had god tier costumes, sets and models and for the time the CGI was amazing

Gollum looks as good as he does because they spent a fuck ton of time on it and had a god tier mocap guy performing the actions.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.