[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thoughts on this? Is it just borderline schizophrenic insanity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: room 237.jpg (74 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
room 237.jpg
74 KB, 400x600
thoughts on this?

Is it just borderline schizophrenic insanity?
>>
>>62681495

Empty speculation by neckbeard virgins who think they're qualified to speak for Kubrick.
>>
>>62681533
/thread
>>
other movies like this?
>>
>>62681533
They come off smug and pretentious as fuck
>>
It's 1/3 good film analysis, 1/3 interesting but implausible fan theories and 1/3 batshit crazy conspiracy theories. An entertaining watch for anyone who likes the Shining, for sure.
>>
>>62681495
people who don't know what a conspiracy theory is
people who don't know what film theory is

trying to find hidden meanings and symbolism in a movie
>>
>>62681533
this
A guy I know hyped this up so much and told me it would completely change how I watched The Shining. This was so cringey
>>
better than the shining
>>
>>62681533
Worse than that: it's some bored hipsters having a laugh at said people - the movie.
>>
>>62681637
the movie was mocking the people in it

do people not realize that?
>>
>wait, let me just shut up my crying baby
>>
>>62681672
how?
>>
>>62681495
>the impossible room bit 8/10
>rare technical data 7/10
>all the rest cringefolder/10
>>
>>62681495
Demonstrates how "Death of the Author" is a farce
>>
>>62681495

I think the Indian genocide theory guy has a point.
>>
>>62684243
Are you joking?
>>
File: 1446950319051.jpg (65 KB, 447x364) Image search: [Google]
1446950319051.jpg
65 KB, 447x364
>>62681533
The movie was not about the analyses, BUT about there are people making these analyses.

>muh minotaur
>muh holocaust
>muh benis
>muh moon landing
"I've been getting calls from the government that are suspicious, I'm think I'm being watched because of my moon landing analysis."
>>
>>62684343
Does it sound like I'm joking? Bitch?
>>
>>62684243
I think hearing Ridley Scott talking about his own movies is enough evidence for "death of the author".
>>
File: minotaur.jpg (114 KB, 620x464) Image search: [Google]
minotaur.jpg
114 KB, 620x464
>>
>>62684505
C'thullu on the lower right.
The movie is about descending into madness. Coincidence?
>>
i think some of it was interesting
kubrick was an eccentric perfectionist, so im sure there are a lot of symbols in his movies to explore.

they layout of the hotel being unable to exist was neat, i liked that part
>>
>>62684665
I remember playing a map for Doom 2 in the late 90's that remade the Shining hotel with the non-Euclidic architecture. We played multiplayer on it via serial ports.

It came of a disk I bought from some scummy computer-market when I was 12. I bet it's somewhere on the internet and could find, if I could be bothered.
>>
>>62681533

if it had just been that but presented in a coherent way that would have been fine. what killed the movie was how it moved back and forth between "theories" so much. just do the fucking indian one then the moon one etc. instead, its not that hard
>>
>>62684665
This. The way the hotel changed from shot to shot and how the rooms didn't make sense was interesting, and backed up by all of the tracking shots with Danny literally showing the entire layout of the hotel.

Even the Indian stuff made sense. I mean, they mention how it's built on an indian burial ground in the movie

Everything else was completely out of left field though. Especially that "Ro no 227= MOON ROOM" shit.
>>
>>62684855
>Especially that "Ro no 227= MOON ROOM" shit.
It's also an anagram of MORON, which is pretty appropriate for this doc.
>>
>>62684910
Pretty much.
Especially since the same guy going on about the Moon Landing stuff was constantly trying to shill his books
>>
>>62684665
>they layout of the hotel being unable to exist was neat, i liked that part

I agree, but the people talking like they realized that one room's window "couldn't exist" literally the first time they saw the movie in the theater was complete bullshit, no one is THAT autistic
>>
>>62681495

Biggest piece of shit is the guy who says the moon is 237K miles away. Even in the 70s they didn't thin the moon was 237K miles away. It's not a perfectly circular orbit and 237 isn't even the average, 238+ thousand is. Just an example of someone bending facts to fit what they want it to.
>>
File: 1400006613743.jpg (32 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1400006613743.jpg
32 KB, 323x323
>>62685013
>no one is THAT autistic
A million autists saw this movie. If one in a thousand happen to notice this, it will happen.
>>
>>62685013
>>62684855
the indian stuff i liked too, like i said a lot of the documentary was clearly bullshit but some was cool, and it made me think about the shining on a deeper level which i appreciated.

maybe /tv/ will bully me for not getting every level of a kubrick movie the first time i watch it, but i appreciated Space Odyssey for example a lot more after I watched and talked about it in a highschool film class.
>>
>>62685112
>in a highschool film class
mate
>>
CHAOS BOLT
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.