[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just watched this again anyone wanna discuss? Best sci fi in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9
Just watched this again anyone wanna discuss? Best sci fi in the last 20 years desu senpai
>>
It's overly complicated and it seems like it intentionally alienates its audience with weird advanced physics jargon. You literally have to watch the movie twice just understand at a basic level what the plot is, and you have to watch it many more times if you want to completely understand exactly what happened.

It's not a good sci fi movie. It's a hipster sci fi movie that fags pretend to enjoy because they think it makes them look smart.
>>
>>62681393
Edge of Tomorrow is the best sci fi movie of the century so far
>>
>>62681393
shane pls post
>>
>>62681451
>I have to watch it more than once so it sucks
Garbage opinion
>>
>>62681451
/thread
>>
>>62681451
>being too stupid to understand the movie
Hahha. Good try m8. Ever heard of the fox and the grapes? Or are you too stupid for that also lmao
>>
It's 2/3rds of a movie. Shane Carruth (the writer, director, lead actor, producer, editor, best boy grip, caterer, accountant, sound guy, music guy, executive producer, etc, etc) started filming the movie's scenes in order, started running out of film stock about half way through, then started filming scenes backwards from the end, then spent 2 years editing it to something remotely coherant, wasn't able to, gave up, and released it as best he could make it.

You could get the same effect by falling asleep halfway through any movie and waking up just in time for the last sixth.
>>
Watched it for the first time a couple of days ago. My immediate reaction was along the lines of "wow, what a great low budget sci fi", but after a couple of hours I just thought it was too complicated for no real payoff. Still enjoyed it though.
>>
I like it because it actually feels disturbing and spooky in its own way. It's so normal and the people are very real.

WHY CAN'T WE WRITE LIKE NORMAL PEOPLE
>>
>>62681451
>You have to watch it more than once to understand it.

Sounds like the perfect definition of good sci-fi to me.
>>
>>62681451
Movies are about characters, not plot. Stop worrying about "understanding" the story like a high school student analyzing Mulholland Dr.

The jargon is the best part. The whole idea is to make the film feel natural, in their decisions, approaches to situations, and dialogue. It's a mumblcore sci-fi film.
>>
>>62681451
>You literally have to watch the movie twice just understand at a basic level what the plot is
Hey we have an actual retard here.
>>
>>62681451
>It's overly complicated
It's about fucking time travel.
>and it seems like it intentionally alienates its audience with weird advanced physics jargon
it doesn't hold your hand with shitty made up dialogue tailored to the lowest common denominator and instead has engineers speak the way actual engineers do so there's some iota of credibility to their design other than GIGAWATTS
>You literally have to watch the movie twice just understand at a basic level what the plot is
Speak for yourself
>and you have to watch it many more times if you want to completely understand exactly what happened
This is true of every great movie.

>It's a hipster sci fi movie that fags pretend to enjoy because they think it makes them look smart
No, that's just what people who weren't smart enough to enjoy it like to think.
>>
>>62681508
100% This.
>>
>>62681578
Give us a comprehensive overview of the entire plot then
>>
>>62681563
It's a shame they never answered this. Why can't they write like normal people?
>>
>>62681540
This is untrue. Of all the film he shot, all but about six seconds of it is in the movie, he didn't have the money to waste film stock.

The movie is all there, we're just so used to things being spelled out for us in studio movies that a little extra effort seems to piss people off.
>>
>>62681601

Someone post the diagram.
>>
File: primer-details.jpg (9 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
primer-details.jpg
9 KB, 284x177
>>62681601
0.30 seconds on Google, m8
>>
>>62681582
>it doesn't hold your hand with shitty made up dialogue tailored to the lowest common denominator and instead has engineers speak the way actual engineers do so there's some iota of credibility to their design other than GIGAWATTS

Unless you have a PHD in quantum physics, you were just as confused as me when you watched it. I guess this movie is fantastic for the couple thousand PHDs out there, for the rest of the world, this movie is a confusing pile of shit. "Oh they don't hold your hands", it's like making a movie in Arabic and releasing it in the US without subtitles.
>>
>>62681616
>Why can't they write like normal people?
Because time travel is bad for you.
>>
>>62681665
>picture for ants

I'll find a high res
>>
>>62681601
>understanding at a basic level
>comprehensive overciew of the entire plot

Yup, it's a retard.
>>
>>62681665
>>62681656
>I can't explain the plot, I use something that someone else made. Look, I looked at this chart now I understand the film. HAHAHAHAHA retards how could you not even understand it, didn't you read the chart online?
>>
>>62681656
>>62681665
On it.

I must say, I love how people are rushing to bash the troll in the thread. Could you imagine if this basic plotline was remade by Michael Bay? OH MY GOD, can we stop making movies for 12-year-old boys.
>>
>>62681393

I didnt really like it, but I could see how some people could, tb͏h. It's clever, at least, but not terribly engaging.

It's very impressive they were able to pull it off with such a small budget at $7,000.
>>
>>62681670

Are you autistic? You don't have to understand every little detail of their technobabble, it's just there for world building and to give the film some legitimacy. Apparently you wanted >UPLOADING TIME MACHINE.EXE
>>
>>62681670
Except it's in English and you have Google.

Also nobody seems to give a fuck when House did it, or even when Doctor Who just makes up some shit. Who cares if it's real or fake? Is it important to the plot? Would you feel better if they said things like, "Put the thingie in the other thingie so it will ding and do stuff?" How is that better/worse?

Are you 12 years old?
>>
File: Pepe Phasma.jpg (186 KB, 847x728) Image search: [Google]
Pepe Phasma.jpg
186 KB, 847x728
>>62681393
>2 boring men talking and getting into a box: The Movie
>best sci fi in 20 years
>>
>>62681621
>shane carruth was only about to film about 2/3rds of his script due to dwindling film stock
>NUH UH SHANE CARRUTH PUT EVERYTHING HE FILMED INTO MOVIE

... how are you on the internet if you are illiterate?
>>
>>62681707

There are like twenty different versions of it and they're designed to help the confused. Like you.
>>
>>62681707
>Literally post a picture
>troll is like "no, u r dum for not typing ansur
>how does i mak babby

Fuck all the way off.
>>
>>62681756
>I watched this movie for five whole minutes and nothing exploded
>Movie sucks

Confirmed for junior high.
>>
>large chunk of the script wasn't filmed due to budget (not enough film stock)
>result is incoherant mess
>happens to be about time travel
>TIME TRAVEL WOULD BE INCOHERANT AS FUCK BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!

plebs
>>
Maybe not the best but definitely top 5 time travel movie
>>
>>62681756
>I didn't get it
>>
>>62681760
I don't even understand the argument being made here, someone posted something untrue and I corrected them. They're the illiterate, though you're making a good case to join them.
>>
>all these plebs not understanding the movie and then getting mad at it
There's are few if any plot holes in the movie. Ask me anything you think is "incoherent" and I will try to explain.
>>
>>62681809
It's not incoherent at all. Just complicated.
>>
>all this bullshit
Carruth would've remade this, his one notable movie, by now if that were the case.
>>
>>62681844
Esentially they both put a box inside a box to go back further in the past and creating more timelines right? Where does the fail safe come into play
>>
>>62681844
This. There's so much shit out there the thought is literally, "I don't understand it, that means the filmmaker sucks."

You being dumb isn't a flaw of the movie. The text is there, read it again.
>>
>>62681850
He has done exactly two movies, both grossing about the same with the latter one being more acknowledged.

Idiot.
>>
>>62681981
You do realize no one understands primer, right? It grabbed the attention of pseudo-intellectual teenagers who confused the fact they didn't understand it for evidence it was brilliant.
>>
>>62681838
Dude. Shane Carruth using every scrap of film he filmed (read: what you said) and someone claiming he ran out of film stock before filming the entire script are identical statements.
>>
File: primer.jpg (837 KB, 3456x1944) Image search: [Google]
primer.jpg
837 KB, 3456x1944
Superior diagram coming through.
>>
>>62681934

Abe's fail safe was there so that he could go all the way back to the day of their first trip in time (several weeks) and avert any crises that might occur. Aaron discovered this and decided to fold up a box and take it back with him in Abe's failsafe, basically because the power of time travel made him into a megalomaniac, which is the real point of the story.
>>
>>62682165
Not the guy you were replying to, but I'm genuinely curious to know what you found so impossible to understand.
>>
>>62682165
No, that's just what people who weren't smart enough to enjoy it like to think.
>>
>>62682312
It's also possible that he thought Abe was trying to fuck him with the failsafe, so he protected himself.
>>
>>62682204

Autism in action, people.

No, those two things are not the same at all.
>>
>>62681451

you know... you didn't have to make this post, you could have just thought it in your head and let the rest of us have an uninterrupted adult conversation about a good independent film, but instead you had to post your stupid brain thoughts and shit up this entire board, indeed all of 4chan. thanks. thank you so much for that.
>>
>>62682361

I interpreted it as him wanting to have control rather than Abe having the control. His obsessive reverse-engineering of the incident at the party all for the purposes of making himself look good seems to indicate that. Also the conversation they had at the gas station.
>>
>>62682398
This is the most reddit post I've read all day.
>>
>>62682378
What part are you having trouble understanding? Are you only reading the first half and last sixth of my posts then pretending you have some idea whats going on?
>>
>>62682345
I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it. I'm saying I know exactly why I enjoyed it.
>>
>>62682504
He could have run out of film a third of the way through the script, or right as he was finishing the script. You can not say 'He ran out of film' and expect it to be understood as 'He only filmed half his script.'
>>
File: ayy its the famlayy lmaouy.jpg (85 KB, 553x674) Image search: [Google]
ayy its the famlayy lmaouy.jpg
85 KB, 553x674
>>62682504
First quarter, 1/16th in the middle, and the first letter of each line.

Get at me dawg.
>>
>>62682523

If you enjoyed it by laughing at it, or laughing at the audience, you weren't smart enough to get it.
>>
>>62682575
Or I'm saying I enjoyed it because I confused it's incoherency for brilliance. Because I was a pseudo-intellectual teenager when I saw it originally.

Then I learned it was only incoherent because Shane Carruth was only able to film about 2/3rds of his script due to running out of film stock.

So now I am laughing at the people who pretend it is brilliant because they can't, even with graphs, charts, and synopsizes, understand it.
>>
>>62682681

Except that you're the only one in the thread who doesn't understand it? And also seems to have trouble with basic reading comprehension?
>>
>they JUST
>they fix it
>happy ending and credits rolling
Who cares if it made perfect sense or not I'm not going to rewatch that shit simply to facts check for myself when we're speaking of a hypothetical, fictional scenario. I'd rather worry about space axes or 3 blade light sabers.
>>
File: 1445388452639 copy.jpg (40 KB, 524x869) Image search: [Google]
1445388452639 copy.jpg
40 KB, 524x869
>>62681823
>If you dont like what I like its just because you are not as smart as me
>>
>>62682720
There are so many huge character jumps that were expanded upon in the lost third of the script that are simply incomprehensible without charts and graphs, and even with them, they don't make a lot of sense. The first hour or so is passable. The last 20 minutes are another hour's worth of script, compressed to 20 minutes. You didn't understand that. No one did. It'd be like pretending to understand a 5 minute recap of an entire season of a show you never saw.
>>
File: 1444343908891.jpg (15 KB, 350x392) Image search: [Google]
1444343908891.jpg
15 KB, 350x392
>>62682271
To say that this film isn't overly-complicated is to say that someone could make this chart after sitting down and watching it through one time

Really now
>>
>>62681616
At the start of the movie abe and aaron put their hands over the machine , which put there hands maybe a few milliseconds out of sync with the rest of their body. repeat time travel probably increased the delay. imagine trying to write with your hand a second behind your brain
>>
>>62682944

You can keep insisting I didn't understand it but that doesn't change the fact that I, and most other people, did. Please, rather than just saying the same shit over and over, explain what doesn't make sense to you about the film so that I may explain it to you.
>>
>>62683026
I think he did. Clearly it's you who has brain problems at this point.
>>
>>62682979
Of course it's complicated. That certainly doesn't mean you can't understand it or enjoy it, and it certainly doesn't mean it's bad.
>>
>>62683118

Point out to me where he actually raised any issues with the film, smart guy. He just keeps repeating some vague factoid ad nauseam about a huge chunk of the film not being completed and the director "giving up". Which isn't even accurate, by the way.
>>
>>62683265
>The last 20 minutes are another hour's worth of script, compressed to 20 minutes.

I mean I get it, that's after the half-way point of the post, but before the end.
>>
>>62683336

Again, that isn't even correct. And nothing is provided to back up the claim that the last 20 minutes are so convoluted and confusing. Because they aren't. As I said, I can run through a very concise explanation of everything that happened. The problem is you either can't or refuse to understand. Which means you're either a drooling moron or an autist. Either way, you aren't the target audience, so fuck off and let the adults talk.
>>
>>62681393
I enjoyed the visual novel it inspired more in most regards.

Except for the initial method of time travel itself. They were both minimalist in their own ways, and Steins;Gate had the benefit of not even allowing for physical time travel, but the discovery and method of time travel is the one thing I'll give to Primer.
>>
>>62681451
Didn't take long to expose the fucking underage plebs on this board.
>>
Part of the problem was that it didn't need to be so complicated. The physics and events weren't that confusing by themselves, they were just shot and presented in a hard to follow manner that forces you to watch it at least a couple more times to catch everything.

A better movie could have been made by doing it more straightforward (without dumbing it down). It did help to work around the extremely low budget though I guess.
>>
File: BTTF2-7.jpg (31 KB, 847x456) Image search: [Google]
BTTF2-7.jpg
31 KB, 847x456
>>62681451
>It's overly complicated
It's time travel, you whiny bitch.
>>
>>62683851

That can be more chalked up to personal taste. I tend to like a film that is a bit of a "project", meaning it's not very forthcoming with its answers and is something you have to watch a few times and puzzle over a bit. To someone else I can see why it might come across as an incomplete experience but I just find the process enjoyable. Also I like how a movie like Primer has new things to notice each time you watch it.
>>
>>62681563
This. I feel like this movie gets short shrift for its characterization, thematic depth, and the great use of setting.
>>62683851
>it didn't need to be so complicated.
Except that there was a clear point to laying things out that way: to make the characters' perspective more immediate for the viewer.
>>
>>62684062

Agreed. The way it is presented in the film makes it more clear the toll that it has taken on the characters, mentally and physically. Also the way it spiraled out of control really fast, almost like an addiction.
>>
>>62681451
The "zen and the art of motorcycle maintenence"

It's a book pretentious people have on thier coffee table, but no one has ever read.
>>
>>62684166
As far as showing the addiction, and mental and physical toll of time travel on a character I refer back to this >>62683475

Okabe's downward spiral hit way harder, and not just because you could actually tell what he was going through the first time through if you were paying enough attention.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.