[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Bring me Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone™!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 14
File: pottery.jpg (22 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
pottery.jpg
22 KB, 500x375
>Bring me Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone™!

Really Rowling?!
>>
>>62678184
It's Sorcerer's Stone.
>>
>>62678216
amerifatkek detected
>>
>>62678184
This used to scare the shit out of me as a kid. The screaming book in the library did, too.
>>
File: Book rank.jpg (1 MB, 1596x2867) Image search: [Google]
Book rank.jpg
1 MB, 1596x2867
what the heck did you expect?? Harry Potter was easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects?all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>But at least the books are ggood though!
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King
>>
>>62678272
>tfw 7 years old and thinking the screaming book face was Voldemort
>>
>>62678275
Listen man.
Atlas Shrugged, Brothers Karamazov, The Stranger and the Great Gatsby do not deserve a "god-tier" placement.

What's god-tier about The Stranger?

Please tell me, you babby fukkboi. You haven't read shit.
>>
>>62678597
>Brothers Karamazov

If you read this, there's no way you come out of it as the same persone you were before.
If this isn't god-tier...
>>
>>62678216
fuck off yank
>>
>>62678628
Brothers Karamazov is challenging as fuck and it is absolutely a great book, but to place it with the likes Don Quixote.

I don't know. I just don't know.
>>
>>62678597
Atlas should be the only one in god tier. Objectivism is a god tier ideology.

Objectivism's central tenets are that reality exists independently of consciousness, that human beings have direct contact with reality through sense perception, that one can attain objective knowledge from perception through the process of concept formation and inductive logic, that the proper moral purpose of one's life is the pursuit of one's own happiness (rational self-interest), that the only social system consistent with this morality is one that displays full respect for individual rights embodied in laissez-faire capitalism, and that the role of art in human life is to transform humans' metaphysical ideas by selective reproduction of reality into a physical form—a work of art—that one can comprehend and to which one can respond emotionally.
>>
>>62678275

>good books as shit tier
>literally who?s as anything higher

top kek, fuccboi
>>
>>62678628
Evidently it's a biased list.

Brave New World is entry level in academic terms, but it is at least middle tier. Everything from low-tier to god-tier I would stock around so much you'd look at something different entirely.

That's me (and arguably most well read people) though. Then there's the 4chan hipsters.
>>
>>62678184
>Truly my friends, we have become The Chamber of Secrets.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>62678275
that's really great man, wonderful commentary I'm just enthralled by your prose. Just one request from you, skilled author.

Link me your book. Link me book you wrote, so that it can be compared to J.K Rowling's series.

What, what's that? you've never written a book before? Imagine my shock, nay the collective shock of this well learned board, to realize that you, noted and well loved critic of literature, lacked the ability and aptitude to write such a thing!? It's absolutely mindboggling that these people don't give you the respect you deserve, and i aim to rectify that sir.
>>
>>62678865
>You know Harry, only a few months ago I was The Prisoner of Azkaban
>>
>>62678275
> Notes From Underground
> low tier
>>
File: 1358230816864.jpg (35 KB, 442x604) Image search: [Google]
1358230816864.jpg
35 KB, 442x604
>>62678275

My sentiments exactly. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?
It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."
They aren't truly reading, they're just looking at words and imagining a bad fantasy movie in their heads.
>>
>>62678932
>you can't criticize a novel unless you're an author
>you can't criticize a film you saw unless you're a director
>you can't criticize a meal you ate because you're not a chef
>>
>>62679089
Because making a fool of yourself at dinner parties and lecturing prostitutes is the hallmark of high quality literature.
>>
File: gof15[1].jpg (197 KB, 1500x632) Image search: [Google]
gof15[1].jpg
197 KB, 1500x632
>>62679013
>OW OW OW OH GOD, YOU'D THINK I'D BE IMMUNE TO IT BUT IT REALLY BURNS BEING THE GOBLET OF FIRE
Took me straight out of the movie desu senpai
>>
>>62678275
I read the first harry potter book at least before the film when I was about 4, and if I could at 4 read it, it's a really basic book. sure I enjoyed reading them but I never saw them as anything but basic, god knows how people claimed they where anything but
>>
>>62678184
"There's only two things in this world I love: Harry Potter, and the first part of the deathly hallows. Unfortunately we don't know where that item is, but you Harry, I can have here, now, tonight."
Bit odd, but I rather liked it desu
>>
>>62679392
if you can't appropriately describe a novel you shouldn't critique one, same with a movie.

There's a ton of retards that review fast food, I think this guy would fit right in
>>
File: 537686ffcc03c.image.jpg (28 KB, 400x270) Image search: [Google]
537686ffcc03c.image.jpg
28 KB, 400x270
>>62678216
>the publishers felt that American audiences would not understand what a "philosopher" was, so the title was changed.
>>
>>62678216
But that makes no sense because the Philosopher's Stone is a traditional alchemist item.
>>
File: Apocalypse-Now-9.jpg (153 KB, 1254x635) Image search: [Google]
Apocalypse-Now-9.jpg
153 KB, 1254x635
>It's like the world is ending, right here! It's like a Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now™!

Really Coppola?!
>>
>>62678272
nigger this isn't even half as scary as when that crazy fortune teller bitch got possessed
>>
>>62678184

God tier sound design when he says "Just give me the stone"
>>
>I GUESS SEVERUS SNAKE REALLY WAS THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE

Jesus christ, seriously?
>>
>>62678275
elitist pleb taste
>>
>>62678932
holy shit this is the most fedora post I've seen in a while
>>
>>62678275
This is posted in every harry potter thread, and somehow its still getting replies.
How?
>>
delete this thread nomaj
>>
>>62679151
how new and reddit do you have to be to not recognise pasta?
>>
>>62678184
>This journey has only just begun, Hermione, and it's not about us. It's about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One.
>>
>>62684090
>fn
>135
not as new as you apparently, star wars tourist
>>
>>62684128
>damage control
>>
>>62678184
I forgot how cool those first few books and movies were. I was so sucked into that scene in the first book and the encounter at the end of the second book as a sixth grader.
>>
>>62684035
>/tv/ is infested with newshit ledditors

Wow who would have guessed?
>>
>>62684035
Because book rankings aside it's 100% true no matter how hurt it makes Tumblr feelings.
>>
File: IMG-20150511-WA0000.jpg (116 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20150511-WA0000.jpg
116 KB, 1280x960
>>62681581
In México the stone is called "Philosophal'' wich is translated to a supously magic-alchemy shit to turn stones into gold
>>
THIS ISNT /LIT/ YOU FAGGOTS
>>
I want a retelling of the entire series from the perspective of just some student who constantly has to witness the horrors of Hogwarts year after year.
>>
>>62678731
Using a bunch of big words in a run on sentance doesn't make you sound smart.
>just makes you sound like an asshole
>>
>>62678353
>Underageban
>>
>>62678184
Rowling credits
>>
File: hahafaggot.jpg (48 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
hahafaggot.jpg
48 KB, 330x319
>>62678184
>mfw OP's garbage meme thread got derailed within one reply

Kill yourself, OP.
>>
>>62678184
>Dumbledore hired a teacher who literally had Voldemort growing out the back of his head
>Dumbledore hid the key to Voldemort's return behind tests so simple an 11 year old could do them

Why were we supposed to be angry again that he faced government inquiry and scrutiny later on?
>>
>>62685507
Are you retarded?
>>
>>62678275
Why is ASOIAF even on the list
>>
>>62684035
because /tv/'s population is all casual underage redditors

why do you think it's gone to shit with ebin babby humor?
>>
>>62684205
JUST
>>
File: snap and hari.jpg (274 KB, 1024x426) Image search: [Google]
snap and hari.jpg
274 KB, 1024x426
>Look at us together. We're Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
REALLY?
E
A
L
L
Y
?
>>
>>62684275
Seriously, the first 3 movies are so fucking comfy, like god damn.
>>
>>62678731
But whos John Galt?
>>
I can't take Harry Potter seriously anymore after watching Wizard People Dear Reader.
>>
fuck off back to /b/ you cancerous meme hustler
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.